Classic Mac OS Software (Discussions on Applications) > DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) & MIDI Applications

Flux images of Authorization Floppies

<< < (2/4) > >>

IIO:
as a collector i find the idea interesting.

otoh i wonder if it would not make more sense to just extract the key files (where possible) and build an installer app who writes a copy of the keyfile into HDD without counter / removing it from the place it came from.

DieHard:

--- Quote ---The greaseweazle will write to .hfe, .img and .scp file types.  From what Iíve seen, the .scp file type takes a 1.4 meg disk and creates a whopping 70+ meg image of it.  As of now I havenít experimented with anything other than the .scp format.
--- End quote ---

Quick Points to think about..

1) When I use to use a copy2PC board (as mentioned in other threads) there was no "saving of the image.  It was also a hardware solution and simple created a duplicate of all copy protected disks both mac and PC.  For the archiving of images, we need some input on the best file type to save old mac diskettes.  I have always used the "img" format when saving images in the PC world with a product called "winimage" (for non-copy protected diskettes) and the IMG files were the most universal.

2)  At this point, if you are remotely interested in this solution I recommend getting to it ASAP.  Even "shrink-wrapped" disks are beyond there life expectantly and don't be surprised if many 20+ year old diskettes are not readable at all.  Even in a good storage environment, the magnetic imprints on these diskettes are getting real weak.

3)  Please feel free to attach images to posts for others who buy the technology, I will make a "sharing" topic now :)

DONE... http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=6492.new#new

macarone:
>I recently picked up a greaseweazle and started using it to archive authorization floppies for some of the software that I >have kicking around.

I vaguely remember that there was exactly a SINGLE version of Disk Copy, version 6.3.2 that was able to read, save as an image file and both copy the image file to another floppy as well as mounting it as a floppy.

Has anybody tried this simple solution?

DieHard:

--- Quote ---I vaguely remember that there was exactly a SINGLE version of Disk Copy, version 6.3.2 that was able to read, save as an image file and both copy the image file to another floppy as well as mounting it as a floppy.

Has anybody tried this simple solution?
--- End quote ---

To clarify, we are talking about "Copy Protected floppies".  These diskettes are NOT in a standard format since there are "invisible" data areas that prevent the user from making a simple copy.  Diskcopy works great for normal mac floppy diskettes, like an old data disk or standard program install, it will NOT image an audio plugin diskette that utilizes an authorization/decrement install approach

smilesdavis:
diehard you mentioned disk ii pc you worked on with a special unrestricted bios. there is a deluxe version on ebay for 200 quid. is greazewesle superior?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version