Classic Mac OS Software (Discussions on Applications) > DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) & MIDI Applications

Flux images of Authorization Floppies

<< < (4/4)

d97:
Right now, I'm just using it in the most basic way possible but here's how I'm doing things.

I'm powering the gw (version 4) from the usb ports of an older Macbook pro and powering a standard 1.4 meg pc floppy drive via a power brick that could be used to power an ide drive & a molex cable.  (These images are web-stock but I'm using something similar).

You need to have Python 3.7+ on your machine.  I installed the gw software via pip:

python3 -m pip install git+https://github.com/keirf/greaseweazle@latest

(All of the install stuff is detailed very well on the github pages).

Then, since I am using a cable without a twist to connect the gw to the floppy drive, my read command is this:

gw read --drive b masterlist2.1.scp

If I were using a floppy cable that had a twist / flip, it would (should?) be --drive a

It reads the disk and puts the file in my home directory.  (I could specify file locations in the command line, too but I haven't bothered).

To write it to another floppy I just use:

gw write --drive b masterlist2.1.scp

Since the file stored in my home folder, I don't need any /here/there/ file information.

If I understand things correctly, mac 1.4 disks don't require any other flags in the command line but I think things are more complicated if you are working with 400k or 800k disks.

It will write to a bunch of different formats (.hfe, .img, etc) but I think we need to use .scp for copy protected stuff - at least that's what I've been told.  At some point I might experiment with the other formats but I think the .scp has the raw flux readings.

I'm sure things are basically the same on Windows.  I just haven't done anything on my windows machine.   There is another piece of software called "flux engine" that works with the gw hardware and can handle other disk formats that the gw software doesn't.

smilesdavis:
can anyone compile this in a program? im bad with command lines

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version