Author Topic: Backup 9.1 to file  (Read 5901 times)

Offline Roman78

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Backup 9.1 to file
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2023, 12:34:00 AM »
I will make 2 copies, one as a spare for the original 6500 (*done) and one for another G4. I'll have to upgrade to 9.2.2 for those (Quicksilver Dual 800 Mhz).

Just copying the Desktop-files.

Hmm the 40GB is much faster compared to the original 3GB Harddisk  ;D

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2023, 03:33:54 PM »
not booting in a g4-500 -> maybe GPU driver problem. but why boot from it at all?

ach ja, und ich nehme das netzteil wenn es noch da ist. melde mich drüben.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Roman78

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2023, 10:00:27 PM »
I need to boot it to upgrade to 9.2.2. I got a spare PowerMac G4 QS here he wants to use in case the 6500 brake down.

At least it runs on the 6500. But there ist still one problem with the "kickstarter" program. I not familiar with that program, but on the cloned HDD it comes up with the error message about not finding the alias. Original message in German: ""Kickstarter" (Alias) konnte nicht geöffnet werden, da das Originalobjekt nicht gefunden wurde". But it won't tell me what this Alias is.

Ach.. und was heißt drüben? Ich bin in so vielen Fora unterwegs...

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2023, 01:05:40 AM »
you actually use this? i have no idea where it is, either /applications or eventually the executable is in the apple menu. you might want to use a search program to find it.

aliases sometimes dont clone right when their data in the HD catalog was faulty before.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Roman78

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2023, 09:30:55 PM »
I don't use that. It is on the HDD i tried to clone.

I downloaded Retrospect Express (http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2750.0.html), but somehow I'm stuck. The instructions says: 

Instructions: Most of our files have been encoded with MacBinary format (.bin) so that the data and the resource fork of the file will not be damaged when storing the file on a non-Macintosh file system. After downloading, if the file does not automatically decode by double-clicking, we recommend opening StuffIt Expander and Selecting "File" and "Open" to decode the downloaded file. StuffIt Expander is included in every Mac OS 9 installation. Additionally, once the StuffIt Expander app is open, check EDIT > PREFERENCES > INTERNET and "use stuffit expander for all available types"

But after double clicking on it, I receive a Retrospect.Toast file. Double clicking on that, he wants to burn the Toast file, but as I see it, as toast file, not the content.

/edit: I installed Toast 5.2.3 and I was able to mount the file. It is installing now.

/edit2: I am unable to create a Backup-File on a hard disk. Retrospect only backups on CD or Removable Devices such as Zip, JAZ and stuff but not on a separate folder on a hard disk.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 12:53:27 AM by Roman78 »

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2023, 01:36:46 AM »
You might want to try the FWB Backup Toolkit3. At a first glimpse, it looks very similar to Carbon Copy Cloner.

And this one too. It is, actually, the original creator of FWB Backup Toolkit.
https://tri-edre.com/download/download/downloadtbu.html

Here's more from the same company:
https://tri-edre.com/download/download/downloadcloner.html
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 04:22:52 AM by ssp3 »
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline Roman78

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2023, 02:46:43 AM »
Well, retrospect did a good job cloning the disk onto another one. Even the stuff on the Desktop is there. The "kickstarter" still gives the error of the missing alias. Only had to bless the system folder by hand.

But the cloned disk wont boot on any G4 I have here. On the original 6500 both copies are working. I still have a G3 B/W to test the disk. Maybe I need to upgarde the OS, but according to everymac they should be capable of running even 9.0.x

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2023, 05:29:59 AM »
I suspect you will need original grey Install & Restore CDs that are specific to your G4's to update the system on cloned drive.
You could also try to replace the System suitcase, System resources and ROM (Enabler) files with the newer ones for test purposes and to see if it works.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2023, 09:39:41 AM »
To backup, I just drag and drop my hard disk icon into a Disk Copy 6.5b13 window and voilá. Mac OS 9.1 might need an earlier version, but that should also be fine. Like 6.3.3.

Backing up the disk as a single image file via OS X Disk Utility that I can use directly from OS 9 also works. Requires a respectable version of OS X, though, like Jaguar (Tiger and Leopard won't work).

All this if my memory serves right, anyway.