Author Topic: Holy Grail  (Read 4508 times)

Offline lpp71

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Holy Grail
« on: February 10, 2014, 06:05:43 PM »
Hello everyone,
I just stumbled across this site, finally someone else likes Mac OS 9!  Anyway as the title implies I have the Holy Grail of Holy Grails.  OK so what do I mean?  Well I have the 2003 MDD 1.25ghz system, but what is it THE Holy Grail above others?  It's brand new, sealed in box.  That's right nearly 12 years have come and gone and its been sealed for all of them.  Attached you will find my unboxing pictures from 2 days ago.  I have to say I love it, I bought it primarily to use Mac OS 9.

Enjoy!

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Holy Grail
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 07:55:26 PM »
congratz!
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 08:00:30 PM »
Wow... thanks for the pics :)

If you unit is very loud, you can check the internal fan (large one under Optical cage) and see if it is a Papst fan ("Multifan 4212H", 12 V, 5.3 W)... if so the Apple noise modification was applied before yours shipped. The Mod by apple was free at the time (under warranty in late 2003 & 2004) and it involved a different power supply (360W instead of 400W) and the Papst fan I mentioned.  There are also mods you can do yourself to quiet it down a bit.... If it does not bother you, then leave it stock... it looks so pretty new :)

For more info. on Mod and quieting an an MDD, one resource is below:

http://www.splefty.com/G4mod/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:02:29 PM by DieHard »

Offline lpp71

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 09:29:35 PM »
Wow... thanks for the pics :)

If you unit is very loud, you can check the internal fan (large one under Optical cage) and see if it is a Papst fan ("Multifan 4212H", 12 V, 5.3 W)... if so the Apple noise modification was applied before yours shipped. The Mod by apple was free at the time (under warranty in late 2003 & 2004) and it involved a different power supply (360W instead of 400W) and the Papst fan I mentioned.  There are also mods you can do yourself to quiet it down a bit.... If it does not bother you, then leave it stock... it looks so pretty new :)

For more info. on Mod and quieting an an MDD, one resource is below:

http://www.splefty.com/G4mod/

Luckily this is one of the last MDD units manufactured with a late manufacture date; this means most things were improved. Worse than the fan noise was the power supplies were very prone to fail. Mine has the 360w power supply and is no louder than other computers. So far I'm very happy with this machine dispite the fact it will mainly be used for old games, I think it will have a long life ahead. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:32:21 PM by lpp71 »

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:53:45 AM »
thats a sweet score you got there lpp71  -afro-

the best fact is the keyboard + mouse will actually work well..
i would SO love to find a brand new keyboard like that
the one i have is disgusting with dust inside (and u know that the dust is probably all dead skin .. gross)