Author Topic: Time with TAD...  (Read 3419 times)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Time with TAD...
« on: August 14, 2022, 01:31:04 PM »
OK, so I had an awesome time meeting member "tunebyTAD" this weekend, we traded studio glory day war stories and had some great discussions over breakfast.

He made the 1 hour trek to pickup a Diehard custom 1.33 MDD, it had an Xserve CPU and modded fans; in turn he dropped off (2) Romplers I have not had for about 20 years (Korg TR-Rack and E-Mu MO'Phatt).  Truth be told, I have been getting back into using some vintage hardware ROMplers these days.  Pulled the Rolland stuff out of storage last year (XV-5050, JV-880, and a U-220).  I gave Chris (SuperNova from the forum) a JV-880 about 8 years ago and I hope he uses it cause I would take that baby back in a heartbeat about now...lol.

Anyway, it was great to see TAD's storage setup in action, he uses a PCI card with 4-port External in the G4 and an external caddy with (4) blade style SSDs (NVMe M.2) that sits on top of the MDD case.  You can't blame the guy, he loves speed and this is by far the fastest storage performance I have even seen under OS 9... we took a ride in his Tesla and the fucking thing when from 0 to 60 in about 4 seconds, it was extremely scary because I didn't expect it... nore did I expect his storage setup to break all the barriers.   It was a total cakewalk, putting his SATA card in his new 1.33 MDD and just hooking up the cables... done... machine prepped. We are going to have to share the details of his setup, but I don't think there are any of those rare ESATA card left for G4s. I am hoping he will post all the details of his ProTools rig and take a photo of the inside of his FULL Maga chassis, but if it is under the desk, maybe he can just list all his cards and go over his configuration. His "Yazoo" style tracks sound 2nd to none with lush analog synth tones, a Roland MV-1 crushing drum tones and some crazily professional mixes.  He has offered to compile for our forum a fully working set of PT TDM plugins for OS9 that will be drag and drop !

Lastly, he donated an MBOX Version one to the first member that wants it, just PM Me, but YOU have to pay the shipping.  If it is still around in a week, I will post it on our marketplace for 0 dollars.

Offline tunedbytad

• Veteran Member
  • ProTools 5 addict
Re: Time with TAD...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 02:49:21 PM »
Had a great time hanging out with DieHard!

He really know his stuff.
Even got to listen to his (back in the day) cover band that did impressive spot on covers "live"
It is an honor to have DieHard's 1.33 MDD Build.

I will soon be posting up some videos here that will hopefully move the OS9 / ProTools5 community forward.

Hi, My name is Tad
I have a PMG4 problem
aka tunedbytad aka ProTools4 aka NotoriouSS

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 11:06:05 AM »
are you booting off your external nvme insanity array or just using it for file storage? would love to know what you're using for interface if its a boot drive
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline tunedbytad

• Veteran Member
  • ProTools 5 addict
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 12:50:49 PM »
double post
Hi, My name is Tad
I have a PMG4 problem

Offline tunedbytad

• Veteran Member
  • ProTools 5 addict
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 12:58:15 PM »
Seritek 64 bit full sized card boots OS9 w/o need for any driver
Samsung Evo 860 M.2 Sata stick with OS9.2.2
in a Startech 4x sata M.2 NGFF SATA bay

posted below are screen shot of:
the bay that works for me
ADATA super budget proven drive **EVO 860 / 870 are king  8)
4x sata snake to clean up the mess

1TB on OS9 friendly DAWs
BTW I tried 1TB and 2TB drives and get errors
unless I keep the partitions around 200GB
then your machine mounts a confusing amount of drives on the desktop.
so i like the little drives
Bonus, the smaller drives always produce better performance numbers  :-\

Hi, My name is Tad
I have a PMG4 problem

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 01:33:14 PM »
I thought you might be using one of the 64 bit cards.
I tried to get one through Seritek, but they cancelled my order saying they didn't have any more. But I've seen posts on here after my attempt where they did in fact have them, so I didn't quite know what to make of it.
A while back Sataman on here was talking about making a sata-II bootable ROM, which would be awesome, but nothing ever came of it.

I wonder what the difference is on 860s and 870s that it plays nice. I tried doing SSDs in some of my machines with 850s and they were very problematic. Ended up using Intel 520s and they've been great.
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline tunedbytad

• Veteran Member
  • ProTools 5 addict
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 04:56:01 PM »
Samsung 850 / 860 / 870 Zero issues if the partition is 200GB or less.

I too have had issues with Seritek.
Not all are in stock.
They did recently ship me a 64BIT ESATA 4x card that needs adapters
there inventory is not uptodate.
If you want one...buy two now.
OS9lives brothers ...clock is ticking.
Hi, My name is Tad
I have a PMG4 problem

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 08:40:32 AM »
which seritek?

can i get a bill of materials please im trying to set up 4 os9 rigs here
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts