Author Topic: Logic 4, 5, and 6  (Read 29957 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Logic 4, 5, and 6
« on: February 10, 2014, 09:24:32 AM »
I don't know whether to use Logic V4, 5, or 6. 6 seems like my best bet because it has the Space Designer plugin where I can use convolution reverbs. The problem however is that I'll need to find a copy of it somewhere with the USB key.

V4 seems to use the older key, and V5, V6 as well as V7 use a USB key. I've read in two places now where they said the V7-licensed USB key allows you to use V6 and V5 since the V7 license is backward compatible. Is that true?

If so that makes things easier. Just buy a V7 key and use an older version.

supernova777

Re: Logic 4, 5, and 6
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 01:20:50 PM »
i have read something to that effect aswell.
and if it works - it would be great..
but i would urge you to wait untill we get someone here to confirm this..
i can tell u that the 6 key authorizes both 6 + 5 (for both mac + windows(v5.5))
so the fact that the 7 key may authorize 7,6 + 5 would seem consistant

we can provide the software installers if someone with a logic 7 xskey will step forward to test this theory!

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 05:14:20 PM »
I may be the one to have to do that eventually. Hopefully we can get someone to confirm in the meantime.

How would you compare 4, 5 and 6 chris? They all look similar but 6 has the most features and is more graphically intense. I wonder if that makes it slower?

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 08:36:53 PM »
It would be great if someone could verify the Apple branded white Logic 7 Key theory... that it will work for Logic 5 & 6.

My Emagic branded Logic Platinum 6 black XS Key shows authorized for "Logic Platinum 6" and "Logic Platinum 5" and it will run all version updates thru 6.3.1. 

The Apple Logic Pro Update 6.4.3 for OS 9 shows that my key will only run it in "Demo Mode"... so I am assuming that is the first version to need a white XS key... for now 6.3.1 seem to be the last rev for an original black/blue XS Key.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:46:45 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 06:24:05 AM »
I have a blue xkey with 5,6 and 7. Bought for 6 and upgraded to 7
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 06:42:15 AM »
I'm wondering if it's that you have to have a 5/6 license to start with, then upgrade to 7. The 5/6 license is still there.

However I read that Apple support mentioned buying a completely new retail copy of 7 and that it would work.

I'm going to have to snag one off Ebay. I hope I don't waste my $$$

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 06:55:00 AM »
well lets find out from another member first... look before u leap;)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 07:09:25 AM »
I just realized, I'm going to need the installers! Are the installers/updates for 6 available?

Up until a certain point Logic was Platinum. It wasn't until version 6.4 that it was called Logic Pro. The Pro version 6.4 introduced their plugins for free (I think) so it's a hefty update.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 07:34:04 AM »
http://download.solodrivers.com/gestor_downloads/helpdrv/Tarjetas-de-sonido/Emagic/ (click on first few folders)

http://www.ftpdir.hu/ftp.apple.com/emagic/ - doesn't work but can be used as a reference.

Maybe grab some of these and store them for posterity!

supernova777

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 07:54:35 AM »
look at the file size - those are just updates not full installers i think?
i just uploaded logic 5 for osx (from original dvd install media)
didnt think there was a osx version of 5 but apparently there was!
http://www.macos9lives.com/downloads/public you can (temporarily) get it here
im looking for people with xskeys to test it

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 09:14:13 AM »

supernova777

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 11:00:08 AM »
yes thats logic 6.3.1 for osx .. probably platinum..

but regardless.. u dont need to worry about finding them on strange sites..
we have the original discs.. + updates;)
we just need to figure out if the 7 keys with auth 5 + 6

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »
I have a blue xkey with 5,6 and 7. Bought for 6 and upgraded to 7

Protools5LEGuy... just to clarify (I could be wrong on this), but I am assuming your original Blue/black XS Key was purchased with Logic 6 (as you mentioned) and also under Emagic, and then when you upgraded to 7 (apple version) the XS Key servers were still online (now at apple) and added the 7 Authorization to your existing key...

So... to clarify... Now all the Key servers have been offline for a few years and there is no way to add anymore Keys to an existing XS Key; so the real question is...

Is there a an XS Key (such as Logic 7), that came out of the Box per-authorized for Logic 5,6, & 7 (or a combination); my key came per-authorized with Platinum 5 & 6...

all replies are welcome :)

also.. Syntho.. the Blue/Black Emagic keys go up to 6.3.1 for OS9 only (Unless a license was added later) and they will not do the 6.4 Update (the Logic Pro version for OS 9)... as I mentioned mine says "Demo Mode" and not authorized with 6.4.  You are right the "Pro" version has all the soft syths & samplers included... the emagic 6.3.1 version does not.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:59:47 PM by DieHard »

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 02:42:26 PM »

Protools5LEGuy... just to clarify (I could be wrong on this), but I am assuming your original Blue/black XS Key was purchased with Logic 6 (as you mentioned) and also under Emagic, and then when you upgraded to 7 (apple version) the XS Key servers were still online (now at apple) and added the 7 Authorization to your existing key...

So... to clarify... Now all the Key servers have been offline for a few years and there is no way to add anymore Keys to an existing XS Key; so the real question is...

Is there a an XS Key (such as Logic 7), that came out of the Box per-authorized for Logic 5,6, & 7 (or a combination); my key came per-authorized with Platinum 5 & 6...

all replies are welcome :)

also.. Syntho.. the Blue/Black Emagic keys go up to 6.3.1 for OS9 only (Unless a license was added later) and they will not do the 6.4 Update (the Logic Pro version for OS 9)... as I mentioned mine says "Demo Mode" and not authorized with 6.4.  You are right the "Pro" version has all the soft syths & samplers included... the emagic 6.3.1 version does not.
I am not the original buyer. I received Logic with two boxes as a gift. One white emagic 6 upgrade and another Apple logic for 7. In the xskey there was lots of numbers in small papers (I suppose for selling/transfering). It can run 5, two 6.x (emagic and Apple) and 7.0.1but not 7.1 (universal)
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 03:23:45 PM »
as I mentioned mine says "Demo Mode" and not authorized with 6.4.  You are right the "Pro" version has all the soft syths & samplers included... the emagic 6.3.1 version does not.

u would have had to pay an upgrade fee to get from 6.3 -> 6.4 i imagine most would have for what they got out of it!

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 07:21:13 PM »
How long will it be before someone confirms this? I'm anxious to get my setup working  :)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 07:26:17 PM »
I don't know whether to use Logic V4, 5, or 6. 6 seems like my best bet because it has the Space Designer plugin where I can use convolution reverbs. The problem however is that I'll need to find a copy of it somewhere with the USB key.

V4 seems to use the older key, and V5, V6 as well as V7 use a USB key. I've read in two places now where they said the V7-licensed USB key allows you to use V6 and V5 since the V7 license is backward compatible. Is that true?

If so that makes things easier. Just buy a V7 key and use an older version.
Space Designer come with logic 6 Pro or Apple Logic 6.x and 7.
Logic 5 had another reverb, Platinumverb
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »
It would be great if someone could verify the Apple branded white Logic 7 Key theory... that it will work for Logic 5 & 6.

My Emagic branded Logic Platinum 6 black XS Key shows authorized for "Logic Platinum 6" and "Logic Platinum 5" and it will run all version updates thru 6.3.1. 

The Apple Logic Pro Update 6.4.3 for OS 9 shows that my key will only run it in "Demo Mode"... so I am assuming that is the first version to need a white XS key... for now 6.3.1 seem to be the last rev for an original black/blue XS Key.
EPIC plugs had passed  the demo on my xskey. The rest, OS9 sees as fully functional, but on OSX, the TDM bridge sees itself as demo, while works ok on OS9(?). My xskey is for pro/platinum product  and has EXS24, ES1and2 and the rhodes and the hammond ones
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 07:37:44 PM »
How long will it be before someone confirms this? I'm anxious to get my setup working  :)
Comfirm what?
Logic Platinum 6 was a paid upgrade for 5 users. Logic pro (>=6.3.x) was a paid upgrade for Logic 6 users. Logic 7 was a paid upgrade for 6.x users. Logic 7.1 (universal) was a paid upgrade for Logic 7.0.x users.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 08:10:12 PM »
We know that a key with a 6 license will allow you to use 5, but we don't know that if a key with strictly a Pro 7 license will allow you to use either 5 or 6. DieHard and I were wondering this.

I've read in a couple different places where an Apple tech said that if your 5/6 key breaks, you can buy a brand new Logic pro 7 XS Key and it'll allow you to use versions 5 and 6.

That's what we're waiting on confirmation for. We've read it, but we haven't had someone test it directly (at least recently). There are a few copies on Ebay and I'm about to bite the bullet and test it myself unless someone else can confirm it for us,
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:12:00 PM by Syntho »