Author Topic: AppleShare fileshare preparing error  (Read 2111 times)

Offline vad12

• Valued Member
AppleShare fileshare preparing error
« on: July 11, 2022, 11:39:50 AM »
Does anyone here have good troubleshooting tips or links on AppleShare issues? I just discovered that I need to set toast files to "Locked" within Finder's Get Info on MacOS 9.2.1, to prevent these messages below from showing up, whenever I mount an image from Toast 5.2.3.

"The Finder needs your attention. Please select the Finder from the Application menu".  --- This gives the following pop-up: "File sharing could not be enabled."

Then, if I go to the Sharing menu for the mount in Finder's Get Info, I get "This item could not be shared, because file sharing is preparing the disk."

As mentioned at the top, I can get around these errors by setting the toast file to "Locked", and then mounting them within Toast. I just am unsure why this is happening, and I haven't had to troubleshoot this part of Mac OS networking before this past weekend.

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
Re: AppleShare fileshare preparing error
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 04:52:34 PM »
I use a NAS drive over AFP and I've never been able to mount toast images over the network, I've always had to copy them across before mounting. Maybe there's something I'm not doing right but that's my experience. Where did you find out about setting the files as Locked? I've also found that I can't copy anything over the network above 1.5+ GB, it will encounter a network error and fail every time.

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 03:51:38 AM »
I've no experience with Toast images, but a couple of clues...
File sharing requires some space on the disk being shared. If there is insufficient, then the "File sharing could not be enabled" message will appear. I get this sometimes when I fill up my RAM Disk.
Another remedy might be to remove items from Preferences:File Sharing folder. (You might be surprised how much stuff is in there!)

Oh, and why not OS9.2.2?

Offline vad12

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 03:30:20 PM »
@Greystash A whole series of events led to this. I got a second emulated 68k mac machine added to the network and it saw my Power Mac's drives automatically right away when I went to Chooser looking for my netatalk server, so I decided to try mounting images from the Power Mac and then sharing those. A software I downloaded had its toast file apparently already set to Locked when I expanded it. That happened to be the first toast file I ever shared as a mount, and I saw no errors, and thought nothing of it and went installing several other things on that emulated mac.

But when I went and mounted 2 other toast files a few days later, that's when those messages would start coming up. I was scratching my head about why until I thought about that first toast file. I tested around mounting and unmounting, and then went to comparing attributes.

It's possible that locking an image first is the "Apple way" to do this, I was looking for some confirmation of that, mainly.

@ovalking For the past year and a half I thought I was on 9.2.2 lol. My Mac OS was down due to some corrupted disk drivers since last year, I just got the chance to take care of that a month ago and im getting that system back up and going. I'm just getting the chance to install different things on it. I think I had a good reason I was holding off the last OS update, I just don't remember exactly what. Probably something model-specific that I wanted to look into more. I don't really use Classic mode on OS X.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 07:06:49 PM by vad12 »