Author Topic: G4 model question  (Read 6208 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
G4 model question
« on: February 10, 2014, 09:16:48 AM »
The Everymac website mentions that the PowerMac G4 1.25DP (MDD) or the single CPU version works with OS9 in the classic environment, but it makes no mention of booting directly into OS9. Are both of these systems able to boot directly into OS9?

Does Mac OS9 even take advantage of multiple processors? Maybe OS9 itself can, but I wonder how many programs utilize it. I'll probably get the DP version anyway.

Also, is the Ram limitation 1GB, or 1.5GB? I know this applies to Logic 5.x, but not sure about Logic 6. I've read both.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: G4 model question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 10:34:53 AM »
The Everymac website mentions that the PowerMac G4 1.25DP (MDD) or the single CPU version works with OS9 in the classic environment, but it makes no mention of booting directly into OS9. Are both of these systems able to boot directly into OS9?

There is two kinds of MDDs Firewire 400 that can boot natively on Mac Os 9 and Firewire 800 that won't boot natively on Mac Os 9 −at least on the easy way :)

Does Mac OS9 even take advantage of multiple processors? Maybe OS9 itself can, but I wonder how many programs utilize it. I'll probably get the DP version anyway.

There is a lot of confussion about this topic. Once for all: In Mac Os 9 only the apps, not the Operating System use dual processors. Mac Os 9 only tell the apps that a second CPU is avaliable -if they ask for it- but NOTHING MORE.
There is little software that can use a second CPU, depending on your use of such software may worth or not.
Photoshop, Apple MPEG2 encoder, SoundJam, Cubase are some examples of software that I know (but there are more...)  that uses a second CPU, their enhacement may vary from 25% to 100%.

Also, is the Ram limitation 1GB, or 1.5GB? I know this applies to Logic 5.x, but not sure about Logic 6. I've read both.

Mac Os 9 can use a max of 1.5GB of RAM. I use Cubase with 1.4GB of RAM for itself, without any problem. Your mileage may vary as some are telling that some apps (Logic Audio) may have problems with more than 1GB of RAM...
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:41:18 AM »
I of course meant the FW400 versions. It says it can be used in the classic environment, but doesn't say if it can boot directly. I'm taking it that it can though.

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:37:26 PM »
hey there syntho!

if u look closely at whats posted on Everymac.com >>>
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/specs/powermac_g4_1.25_dp_mdd.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/specs/powermac_g4_1.25_mdd.html

MacOS 9 Support:   Boot/Classic Mode*   Windows Support:   Emulation Only
Details:   *This model is capable of booting Mac OS 9 and using Mac OS 9 applications within the Mac OS X "Classic" environment provided with Mac OS X 10.4.11 "Tiger" and lower ("Classic" is not supported starting with Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard").
it does say BOOT AND CLASSIC MODE
the foot note indexed by the * character means those details are applicable and in reference to the mention of classic mode support
but it says BOOT.. and will boot;) many of us can vouch for that!

to clarify, look at the fw800 entry on this page:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/index-powermac-g4.html

MacOS 9 Support:   Classic Mode Only*   Windows Support:   Emulation Only
Details:   *This model is capable of using Mac OS 9 applications within the Mac OS X "Classic" environment provided with Mac OS X 10.4.11 "Tiger" and lower ("Classic" is not supported starting with Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard"). It cannot boot into Mac OS 9.

clearly it makes no mention of the word "BOOT" here;)
hope this helps!  -afro-
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:40:07 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 06:37:49 PM »
I don't think I'll ever use any software on the machine that uses dual CPUs since Logic 6 and prior and SoundDiver both don't use them as far as I know. I think I'll still go for a dual CPU machine just in case... however I did read where DieHard said that you may have trouble with DAWs if you use dual CPUs. Hmm.

Hey Chris, could you ever get 1.5GB working in Logic? Maybe Logic 6 can handle more ram.

supernova777

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 08:13:37 AM »

the ram limit of 1gb applies to the 4.7 (and updated to 4.81) versions
thats all i have confirmed...
for all i know 5 could have fixed this ?? need to test this..
i will test soon as ive recently got a copy of 5 + xskey
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:16:41 AM by chrisNova777 »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 11:07:51 PM »
I've read reports that version 5 (on PC) has worked with 1.5GB, but sometimes not. I'm not sure why it sometimes will and sometimes won't work, but that's what I've heard. I'm even more curious to hear about what would happen if you use version 6.3 with 1.5GB or more. I also just read that some users had trouble with more than 1.5GB, so maybe 1.5GB is possible sometimes.

supernova777

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 11:35:21 PM »
honestly why worry about ram untll u run into a problem of it being insufficient
its a different beast then todays daws
i bet it could run with 256mb of ram

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 01:56:01 AM »
My G4 is on its way. We'll see soon. I'm kinda hesitant because 1.25ghz and 1GB is very little, but as you say it's a different beast.

supernova777

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 05:28:45 AM »
My G4 is on its way. We'll see soon. I'm kinda hesitant because 1.25ghz and 1GB is very little, but as you say it's a different beast.

for the time, it was PLENTY.. 1gb was tons of ram..
hell u cant even boot windows 98 with more then 512mb of ram!
most systems on mac os 9 never even had close to 1gb of ram
check out the ram your system shipped with.. i bet its like 256mb or 128mb lol

if u check:
https://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/specs/powermac_g4_1.25_dp_mdd.html
says:
Standard RAM:    512 MB

system came with 512mb installed thats it;)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 05:41:08 AM »
http://en.440forums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16275

FIXED!!!

The problem turned out to be with RAM allocation, haha... Interesting thing: the system performace meters weren't active, meaning that nothing was being processed.

The problem was fixed by upping the RAM allocation from 100MB to 500MB.

Logic's RAM allocation can be changed by selecting the Logic application icon in the Finder, then Get Info (command-I), Memory, and change it to whatever you'd like.

Try this and let us know!