Classic Mac Hardware (Troubleshooting, Upgrading, & Modifying) > Mac OS 9 Booting on Previously Unsupported Hardware

How to enable debugging mode when booting the kernel in Mac OS 9?

<< < (2/2)

FBz:
Hey Darth,

Most everything you have asked has already been covered here in this other thread… http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,6335.msg47377.html#msg47377 AHT 2.0.2 and the Apple Service Diagnostic (691-4769) has also been employed.

IF it was feasible for V. Yakob to simply change out his mobo (as GaryN and others have previously suggested) this would have been done quite a long time ago. Currently Vitaly is seeking info on how to run the debugger in the OS 9 nanoKernel as per: “OS 9 nanoKernel has a debugger that can be set with the AAPL,debug property, but very few people know how to use it.”

Thanks.

darthnVader:
Ok, I didn't know about the other thread, but I'd still like to get a look at the .properties of dev /.

darthnVader:
MacTracker says the the 2003 MDD came with either a 7455 v2.1 or a 7455B v3.3, that could be an issue we'll just have to see.

They built it form June 2003-June 2004 so there may have been some special production run change that it doesn't support booting OS 9 native, or there is some underlaying hardware issue that just isn't showing up in the AHT or OS X.

What we are looking for is a .property in dev / to see if it is "MacRISC3'?

darthnVader:
We really need Elliot to chime in on this, I'll email him once we have all the info and see if he has time to help us debug this.

I would start with the OS 9 General.DMG from the 2003 MDD restore set and strip it down to only three things( System Suitcase, Mac OS ROM, and the Finder ) Those should be the only three files needed to boot in a blessed System Folder.......

FBz:
Looks like a 7455B... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version