Author Topic: minor EMILF: bus to bus IDE cable?  (Read 8905 times)

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: minor EMILF: bus to bus IDE cable?
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2022, 02:24:57 AM »
Mactron showed that FTP server "App" on smartphones is the fastest way to exchange files Smartphone<>MacOS9

now that you say it, it might have USB. i was always using bluetooth and that stopped working last year with windows 10.

the 4TB drives were bought to try breaking the barrier via block size, which unfortunately failed for now.

if i keep using them internally, they will be 2,2.

but they are also 180mb/s and have 512mb cache, so they perform basically like an SSD. 2,5" HDDs are not there yet.

booting from 2 TB? will still only work from network i think. :)
insert arbitrary signature here

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2022, 12:02:41 PM »

it is too difficult with normal cables, so i have to use a bunch of these wonderful blue lefthanders to lead the cables to the front of the door before the bend into the case.

four of these silverstone cables are 75 dollars (OMG) but i guess that is okay when i consider how affordable the rest of the construction was.

be nice to your mac, and it will be nice to you.

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
Re: The Slavery Adapter
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2022, 09:09:15 AM »
using a dual adapter on an IDE PCI card was the last round of my testing series... involving 6 different adapter types and all possible connection methods in a QS.

Can you make one more round of your testing...does it work with SATA DVD-drives? First I though this question is stupid to ask, but I heard that those CD-drive-commands
are common for all SCSI/PATA/SATA-drives.

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2022, 09:40:02 AM »
i see no reason why any of the adapters should not work with optical drives. i only use ADP 006 or however they are called and only in external enclosures. (firewire to IDE case, then an SATA adapter, one older DVD and one 2019 BD burner. both also boot into 9.)

the focus of interest was on these master/slave and cable select buses issue. in this field everything works as you can expect it when you have only rudimentary knowledge about IDE (like beeing able to know that 1. your computer has master/slave or not, that 2. adapters without jumper setting are always "master" and 3. that you can combine those with one which can be set to slave.)

the only two interesting "new" points are:

- this IDE card i am using with the vertcial adapter actually fits into a quicksilver case even with all the cable plugs mounted

- i dont get that enclosured, bidirectional black startech adapter to work - with nothing - and i dont know why. maybe mine is broken?

for me personally it was also new that you can actually buy dual channel adapters for 5 euro or less.^^ getting stuff for 20% of the normal price seems to be only a matter of how long you search though different shops.

now i would love a source for those blue cables!

i found one offer on alibaba for 2,46, but that is the price for 500+ pieces.

the second best offer is 11 euro plus shipping. that means i would have to use cables for 45 euro to connect 4 HDDs for 200 euro to 2 SATA adapters which costed 2 euro each. :D

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2022, 09:54:15 AM »
oh and what i also learned is that the cables are the big problem when you want to mount a bunch of disks in a quicksilver, where, as opposed to the MDD, the PCI is on  the left side, i.e. on the bottom when you close the door.

you can basically only lead cables from PCI cards along the PCI slot to the front where modem and bluetooth sits, fix them there to the door somehow, and then cross the hinge. weird to make such a pseudoscience out of attaching 8 cables to 8 disks, but it is the only way it works.

(this statement is made under the condition that you have all PCI slots in use, eventually with at least one card beeing full length (protools, powercore) and want to be able to open the case more than 1 time per year.)

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2022, 07:44:15 AM »
so, while everything else works (acard with adapters plugged in & those wonderful blue cables fits in the QS, booting 9 and X, partitioning under 9 and X, all kind of disk operation) the setup did not pass the 8 week real life test.

there is one major problem with this and that is that after about 1 of 4 boots into OS9 the second SATA bus of the adapters remains silent, i.e.  the yellow control LED on the adapter is already off.

i could not find the reason for this - and it does not happen with other adapters or with direct IDE.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2022, 09:56:05 AM »
Thanks for the update.  We will all continue to try these modern storage variations bridging the ancient technology.

To date, our member TAD has the ultimate OS9 storage, he runs everything externally in a small eSata caddy (it fits 4 NVMe SSD Drives) that sits on top of the MDD; he uses a PCI Seritek SATA card and runs the cables thru the back of the MDD to the eSata NVMe box/caddy  He leaves the top cover off and can easily swap drives at will.  The guy doesn't even screw them in, he uses a small piece of painter's tape to hold each NVMe M.2 SSD down.

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2022, 11:18:59 AM »
after the custom driver for the 2-port cards i am hoping for a MacOS9Lives custom OS9 driver for the seritek 4-port cards. :)