Author Topic: WTB: Quicksilver 933Mhz CPU  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
WTB: Quicksilver 933Mhz CPU
« on: June 02, 2022, 04:44:17 PM »
I think my CPU died while reapplying thermal paste  :'( Yes it was powered off, unplugged and I had an anti-static wrist strap on. It must have been static shocked somehow because I was incredibly careful throughout the whole process :( I've tried booting it with three good Logic Boards and the machine turns on but the power indicator light quickly fades off and there is no boot chime. Fans are still running and the machine remains powered, just no activity. Even if I remove all RAM there is no loud beep indicating no memory is installed.

If anyone has a 933Mhz they're willing to sell I would be interested!

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
Re: WTB: Quicksilver 933Mhz CPU
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 12:43:51 PM »
Ever find one?

I've got like 5 733Mhz CPU's and a 867Mhz from the Education model that lacks the L3 cache.

I'm not having any luck finding any QS cpu's that have the L3 cache, so let me know if you find a source?

If you want one of the CPU's I have, $30 shipped to the lower 48 with heatsink and clips.

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 08:55:58 PM »
Hey Darth, I actually ended up getting it working again but am still looking for a spare. I don't know how long this one will last and would like to have a backup if something goes wrong. I found a small amount of oxidisation(?) on some of the CPU pins, and after giving them a gentle brush it worked again after re-seating the CPU.

I'll definitely let you know if I find some! Thank you so much for the offer, I'd assume postage to New Zealand (if that's something you could be bothered with) would be ridiculous? The prices seem to be getting crazy with our dollar value dropping.

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 05:40:31 PM »
Hey darthnVader,
In case you're interested I came across some 800Mhz CPUs on AliExpress, the description is a bit unclear though.. I would have bought one but I might see if something else comes up first. The postage to New Zealand costs more than the actual CPU!