Author Topic: Modularing  (Read 18697 times)

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
Re: Modularing
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »
Hey Thierry!

Yes, there's definitely an interest. As you can see if you look around the forums there's quite a few of up playing with old systems, either because of "historical interest" (nostalgia) and keeping this era alive and documented, or because we just like a particular piece of software. Myself these days I'm mostly into even older systems than Modularing would run on, but I actually remember playing with a demo of it more than twenty years ago when I was first starting out with music and didn't understand very much.

Another thing I think everyone would love is stories - how did you find coding for the Mac? What was it like being a developer for a small platform back then? How did you get started and where did it go for you? And also what made you use Midishare over OMS or FreeMIDI, they seem to have been much better known? Feel free to blabber if you want!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2020, 02:28:14 PM »
Wow... so cool! Welcome Thierry!!! ;D

Offline daddyjeff

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 06:44:21 AM »
I would love to have this software back, I was able to see its internal modular tools and I think they are very interesting.

I know we have reaktor, reason and max, but it is not the same, this software seems to do things that others do not. judge for yourselves  -afro-

Offline daddyjeff

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2020, 06:52:46 AM »
then we have the ¨racker module¨ with cables, this is a gif with its preview of its most representative modular interconnect.

It is a kind of reason but with more interesting modules.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2020, 09:13:49 AM »
the funny thing with modularing is that it - believe it or not - never really was one of the paragons of my own modular sequencer, which i made mostly around 2006/2007.

i seem to have forgotten it for a while, but then one day i looked into it again and thought "hm, maybe it is not the worst idea to put all modules in floating windows and connect them by selecting the aim from a menu?"

it turned out to be too complicated and too unflexible compared to connecting modules right in a canvas so my "windowed" versions ended up in the trash bin.

of course i didnt know about "racker" back then. :)

it is interesting to see that other people also keep trying out new paradigms and methods, how they were reasoned and how the product ended up (in those cases where a final stage was reached)

that racker picture reminds me that when i saw the koblo programming envorment the first day - around 2001 - the first thing i thought was "wow it seems to be better than max v.3 with MSP, so why did they discontinue it?"
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2020, 05:25:54 AM »
Hi all it's not possible to run modularing without midishare. I will look on my old mac how to give serial numbers.... don't remember the best way to get this (different protection modewas developed between OS9 and Mac OSX).  I will be pleased to hear what you do with modularing. Is there really an interest to play with this as today we could find a lot of system like this ? Thierry

There is always interest for OS9 programs. Are you interest continue develop it if we all in this thread buy it? Btw. How much it cost that time, that page doesn't tell.
Thierry, do you have this somewhere:http://modularing.free.fr/inter-actors/
It has broken download link.

Offline tunedbytad

• Veteran Member
  • ProTools 5 addict
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2020, 03:49:17 PM »
any working virtual interment that will works seamless with ProTools 5.1.3 in OS9...

I am in!!!

would pay the equivalent price that any modern VST / softsynth cost.
Hi, My name is Tad
I have a PMG4 problem
aka tunedbytad aka ProTools4 aka NotoriouSS

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2020, 09:34:45 AM »
any working virtual interment that will works seamless with ProTools 5.1.3 in OS9...
I am in!!!
would pay the equivalent price that any modern VST / softsynth cost.

I will even more, if there are instructions how to program more "racks" in it.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2020, 02:13:47 PM »
There is a demo out there

i just ran into this via google and had to laugh that nobody asked how this screenshot was made.

Offline thierry

• Newcomer
  • modularing designer
    • modularing archives
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2020, 07:53:36 AM »
I would love to have this software back, I was able to see its internal modular tools and I think they are very interesting.
I know we have reaktor, reason and max, but it is not the same, this software seems to do things that others do not. judge for yourselves  -afro-

Of course, like chaining step sequecner with different clock mode, thank you. It's a bit difficult to compile the src code today and many components are not maintained (midishare itself for example). It will forced me to start a new project with many options to study first. Secondly, when we tried to develop modularing for windows, the developer found some bugs never corrected onto the mac 3.x version. I just got an old powermac and I am waiting for a scsi cable to connect my archive to look on. I will tell you more after a compilation try. let's see...
thierry

Offline tunedbytad

• Veteran Member
  • ProTools 5 addict
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2021, 04:08:36 PM »
any update on this?
Hi, My name is Tad
I have a PMG4 problem
aka tunedbytad aka ProTools4 aka NotoriouSS

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2021, 04:54:58 PM »
want a cracked copy for now? thierry can still write a few new modules then.