Author Topic: G4 iBook  (Read 6370 times)

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
G4 iBook
« on: April 16, 2022, 08:16:08 AM »
Have been told that G4 iBooks require a bit more effort than
most other laptops for disassembly. And while searching for
more in-depth details on the matter, I found the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8qrfh1tMZ0

Thought that the above might be of some interest.
*Evidently the task does require some skill. ;)

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: G4 iBook
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 01:36:31 PM »
OhMyGod! Did you actually watch that video? That guy's an absolute MORON!

I want to believe it's just tongue-really-way-way-back-in-cheek humor, but……??  :P :P :P :P :P

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 02:00:26 PM »
OK... feeling a little sick right now, although I hate to take apart G4 iBooks, but that video was like watching a '57 Chevy be hacked at and spray painted so it could enter a "smash up deby" contest.  Of course the iBook had to be in amazing cosmetic condition, the plastics were bright white, the poor little thing looked like a virgin that was never dis-assembled, only to be pillaged by a mac molester.

At first it was all fun and games... then the horror set in... knowing that I just watched a snuff film, that poor little iBook will never live again.  I think I better pour a strong one and get these images out of my head.

DieHard pours a glass of wine and eats a slice of Julian Apple pie and wonders the fate of the iBooks he just mailed FBz last week...

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 02:30:37 PM »
Think that guy must’ve actually swallowed his tongue after that video.
But he did leave the possible duct tape aspect out of it there at the end…
just to show how it could’ve been “sealed” back up.

Hope everyone’s okay after watching that.
A definite “How-NOT-To” guide.  >:(

[And DH, the iBooks are safe.
Still awaiting their first thorough cleaning - before any surgery.] ;)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 02:48:54 PM »
we should hire the guy, he might be able to solve that "how to put a 3,5" HD into a mac mini" problem for us.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 06:24:20 PM »
Admittedly, the guy does look like a lot more fun than Louie Rossman……  ::) ::)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 10:48:11 AM »
Admittedly, the guy does look like a lot more fun than Louie Rossman……  ::) ::)

Louis Rossmann's channel is my favorite, especially the "roach" logic board repair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTdtpBLtIT0

Over the last twenty-five years, this shit has happened to me at least 20X, it is the most disgusting thing I can ever tell you.  There are certain "tells" when a customer drops off a computer/laptop if it's going to have a roach nest inside, and I will NOT take the unit in at all and I tell the client to go elsewhere.  I have an "anti-bug" policy because they can literally crawl out on the computer at night and infect my office. 

So, one thing I look for on a laptop upon drop-off inspection is on the AC pack or bottom of the laptop, there is a kind of "sticky" residue with tons of little black spots... this is an accumulation of roach piss/crap and I will not take it in for reapir.   I know this is really gross, but I cannot tell you how many people live like it's no big deal with a ton of roaches and they fry motherboards and power supplies, literally by walking across positive and negative terminals and they explode as they short it out.  If you guys have the stomach for it, I'll find and load some amazing pictures of many units we found out as we opened them that they were infested. 

One of the funniest times was when one of my techs called me over to a laptop and he said "what are these shinny wires coming out of the USB port, I can barely see them and they keep changing position" ?  I grab a flashlight and it's a live roach tucked in there, just hanging out and home and his long antennas are just barely sticking out as he's waving them around.  I can tell you, this is a PC tech's worst nightmare... roach PC syndrome. 

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 01:54:59 PM »
  :P

Offline Bikerbob

• Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2022, 07:39:02 PM »
This might be a great topic to tag this in, because it is currently active.

Anyone run into an ibook (I am looking at a A1134) where nothing from the speakers but the headphones work? Is that the switch? Can that still be repaired? replaced? or would this more likely be the board??  I can pick it up for $40 with the charger, and the battery will still hold a charge.. the A1134 is the one I really want.. but want to be able to repair it. Screen looks great, and over all pretty clean.

James

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2022, 03:51:36 PM »
Unplug any headphones or external speakers.
On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences,
click Sound , then click Output. Make sure “Internal Speakers”
is selected, the “Output volume” slider is not all the way to the left,
and the Mute checkbox is not selected.