Author Topic: Reason 2.5 and M-Audio Delta 2496 Problems  (Read 3407 times)

Offline Wolfenx666

• Newcomer
Reason 2.5 and M-Audio Delta 2496 Problems
« on: March 24, 2022, 12:53:17 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to this excellent forum, and i hope some of the experts around here can help me.

I can't get Reason 2.5 to run properly with my M-Audio Delta 2496 on my 2GB MDD 1,25GHZ DP. I always have cracks and pops in the sound-output no matter what i do. I use the V2 Drivers from here:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,923.msg3248.html#msg3248

Can someone please give me any advice on which of the three supplied ASIO Drivers in the driver package i should use and what is the best setting for for the sample rate / buffer size to play nicely with reason 2.5?

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Reason 2.5 and M-Audio Delta 2496 Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 01:56:42 PM »
Without re-installing anything, make a folder "ASIO Unused" under the application's folder, and drag all (3) ASIO drivers into it.

Then one at a time, drag a single ASIO driver in the correct ASIO folder for the application and test. (Make sure that only 1 ASIO driver is in the main ASIO folder at a time).

Also, avoid routing the "system sound" in OS9 to the 2496 while testing.

You can do this without rebooting and as far as buffer size try 256 or 128, the lower you go the less latency while using a keyboard controller, but more demand on CPU, there is no "optimal" setting.  So, always the same rule, while "recording" and/or sequencing with a controller, set the buffer to the lowest setting you can (128,64,etc) without the mac overloading; for playback and mixing, switch back to 512 or larger, all tracks will play in perfect sync even with large settings, less strain on CPU.

Lastly, I don't remember which ASIO driver I used in the V2 package for the 2496, but I remember having to use a different ASIO driver with the Sonic powerbundle, than I used with CuBase.  It is always trial and error, but it should be very easy and fast to switch and try them each per application.  It all comes down to the ASIO spec (V1,V2) and what the programmers tweaked at the time they wrote the app.

Oh... one last thing, as far as sample rate, unless you are doing film, stick with 44K, the reason is simple, if you decide to you use loops/sample libraries or external media, most are recorded at 44K and you can just drag them in... you can mix 16-bit, 24-bit and 32 bit audio (all at 44K) without issue.  The general rule here is that if your track does not sound good at 44K 24-bit, then delete it, no higher sample rates can fix a garbage track.  That being said, 24-bit audio holds up much better than 16-bit audio during mixing as you have more headroom (volume choices, effects processing, etc.) since you have a lot more numbers to work with.  The idiots that say "just record and mix at 16-bit, since you dither down later anyway... right ?" obviously don't "mix" in the DAW or they would notice the "headroom" thing I mentioned right away.  At any rate, 44K, 24 Bit audio will yield pro results if recorded with a decent interface, at a decent level.

And one more thing to the last thing, This "Instant DAW" was created with all 2496 drivers ready to go, maybe you'll like it.

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2716.0.html
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 02:11:36 PM by DieHard »

Offline Wolfenx666

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 02:36:45 PM »
Many Thanks for your help!!!

I will try your recommendations.

Regarding the "Instant DAW" I'm sure this is great, but this is overkill for me.

After 20 years without OS9 and any music application i try to start as simple as possible :)

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 05:10:36 PM »
After 20 years without OS9 and any music application i try to start as simple as possible :)

No Problem, Makes sense, if Reason 2.5 recorded audio then nothing else would be needed. Another, much simpler DAW as far as audio & MIDI/sequencing is:

CuBasis for OS 9 found here:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,845.0.html

Offline Wolfenx666

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 07:08:53 PM »
After lots of trial an error the ASIO2DeltaAP driver works best for me, in Reason 2.5 an Ableton Live 4.1.4.

I use Live for mainly audio recording and arrangements the only thing i really miss is the arpeggiator in the midi-effects section in live, but when i remember right, this was an Version 5+ feature so version 5 is OSX only i believe :(

Offline daddyjeff

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 07:30:38 PM »
I use live on os9.2 and ableton live6 and logic express 7 on osx panther, I have the delta 24/96 and Digi001 with Pro Tools 5.2, ableton live 4.1.4 I have it as a creative tool to use with Pro Tools.

The reason for this is because I have more than one hard drive dedicated and one just for audio exclusively, and I get some extras like those ableton arpeggiiators and drumsamplers to make ideas and finish them in os9.

what i have in osx is just to have more tools for sound that i can't have in os9, but the system where i mix and master everything in os.9.2 with pro tools.

regards ;)