Author Topic: Apple Soundmanagerdriver for Yamaha CBX D5  (Read 24254 times)

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
Re: Apple Soundmanagerdriver for Yamaha CBX D5
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2023, 06:16:46 AM »
I ment DP 1.41Y software, not authorizer. Is it ok? Can you install it? Can you run it up to the point where it asks for authorization?

OK. give me some time to dig this up. I will have to setup a proper OS9 machine: the machines I currently use have no floppy drive.
I do have the original install diskettes, but I also have an installed version on one Mac or more here, which I'll have to resurrect.

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2023, 10:17:13 AM »
https://filebin.net/2h1dmp2u2yjjbcff

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2168.0
after discovering this lengthy awsome thread, i guess this thread is a re-run for IIO. (didnt know IIO is a skilled programmer, i just thought hes good at taking stabs at my "museum" ;))

For the first time, Yamaha have dispensed completely with in-house software development (which had not met with much success on Yamaha's C1 computer) and opted to concentrate on its hardware/firmware skills, whilst bringing in high-profile third-party software vendors to implement D5 support via existing successful products. Currently, the line of development is aimed firmly at the hi-tech musician, and therefore Mark Of The Unicorn (Digital Performer) and Steinberg (Cubase Audio) are under contract to provide D5 support for Macintosh and Atari respectively. Support for the PC is also under negotiation. At present, Steinberg and MOTU have one-year exclusivity over D5 dual audio-MIDI music recording applications on their respective platforms, but after that period the D5 will be open to support by all software manufacturers; this should ensure support by at least Opcode StudioVision, Cubase Audio for the Mac, and whatever C-Lab have up their sleeve.
-https://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/yamaha-cbx-d5-digital-recorder/9546

Steinberg Cubase Audio PC 1.0 (shipped with Cubase Audio PC) (1993) - 3.05XT (1996) *requires Adapted SCSI **just doublechecked but Cubase Mac Audio always was a Digidesign only affair. 1.x-2.x-3.x.
MOTU Digital Performer 1.41Y (1994) *limited license*
Steinberg Cubase Audio Atari ST/TT for CBX-D5 1.0-1.1b (01.02.96) *requires Steinberg DMA zu SCSI-II
Opcode Studio Vision Pro 3.0 (1996) (https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/opcode-studio-vision-pro-v30)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 11:41:03 AM by smilesdavis »
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2023, 11:25:32 PM »
Oh my god

My favourite ny hardcore band of the 90s

And my saviour in terms of 90s cracks

I will listen to the entire lookingglassself record in honor of the man

In the jap manual of cbxd3 there was a digital performer remark

Is there code for d3?

Someone with a d5 please test im hunting for a d5
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2023, 06:13:08 AM »

I'll certainly do that. The CBX is still in the basement, but I unearthed the Quadra to experiment with the digidesign cards and interfaces. I only have to find time now...

https://filebin.net/2h1dmp2u2yjjbcff

Anyway, before diving any deeper, here's an interesting first tidbit. Apparently, DP1.71 has some CBX D5 resources in it.

Try to install it and see if it works. Maybe there's no need to waste time with 1.41.
Install 1.7 -> apply 1.71 update -> apply patch.

I had a good laugh seeing this after so many years  :D

He was THE man!

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2023, 01:37:35 PM »
Logic Audio 2.6 manual:

1.2 Additional Hardware
In order to run LOGIC Audio you need additional hardware with analog/ digital and digital/analog converters (A/D and D/A) and if necessary also digital signal processors (DSPs). This hardware can either come in the form of a card for the Macintosh’s internal Nu-Bus or PCI-Bus, or as a free-standing hardware unit. In this manual it will be referred to as HDR hardware (Hard Disk Recording hardware).
At the moment, LOGIC Audio supports the following hardware:
• AV - the internal converters in the Power Macs (or 68k AV models)
• DAE - Digidesign’s AudioMedia II and III, Sound Tools, or Session 8 or ProTools II
• TDM - Digidesign’s ProTools III (and ProTools IV, as soon as available)
• CBX - Yamaha’s CBX-D5 or CBX-D3

The CBX-Extension
The CBX extension allows LOGIC Audio to make use of Yamaha’s CBX- D5 and CBX-D3. These devices are separate hardware units which make it possible to run LOGIC Audio’s hard disk recording functions in professional quality even on Macs without NuBus or PCI slots.
Running LOGIC Audio with CBX hardware is a little more complicated than running it with DAE hardware. As a result, the CBX Extension must be used when using CBX hardware in conjunction with LOGIC Audio.

is this floppy in any archive somewhere?

...All that I wanted
Was a space to rectify
To rid deception
To sift and purify
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 01:55:03 PM by smilesdavis »

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2023, 01:59:09 PM »
CBX extension:
I vaguely remember I have been chasing this one at the time. I may have it somewhere, I'll look (eventually). I did consider using Logic for driving the CBX, but have been put off by its complexity.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 05:37:40 PM by P.O. »

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2023, 02:49:59 PM »
wait what thats by emagic for LA2.6? nu uh :D

because i was just checking my logic audio 2.5 plastic box and all i could find was DAE extension floppies

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2023, 04:04:17 PM »
This is NOT the infamous logic "CBX extension". It is a system extension for Sound Manager so it can use the CBX as a sound I/O
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 05:34:01 PM by P.O. »

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2023, 04:31:36 PM »
Logic Audio 2.5.3 "Announced"

Logic Audio v2.5 for Windows 95 entered the market in summer 1996, and the latest version (2.5.3) costs £399. [...] Logic Audio does not yet support any of them, but I am assured that Emagic are in the process of developing extensions for CBX, Soundscape and the Akai DR8.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/midi-audio-pc-steinberg-cubase-emagic-logic-audio-cakewalk-pro-audio Published February 1997

LOGIC Audio 2.6 "CBX Extension released"

LOGIC Audio CBX Extension for Mac OS
Yamaha's CBX-D3 and CBX-D5 Support for LOGIC Audio Mac OS
The CBX Extension is designed to get the most from LOGIC Audio Mac OS with Yamaha's CBX-D3 and D5 Digital Recording Processors. Connect up to 2 CBX units to even medium powered SCSI-equipped Macs for a total of CBX eight audio tracks and use any combination of CBX units for maximum flexibility. The CBX Extension can be used in conjunction with other LOGIC Audio Extensions to allow you to easily customise your digital audio system.
Record and play up to eight tracks of professional quality digital audio (4 per linked CBX unit) using a wide range of Macintosh models from Performas to Powerbooks; the CBX processes the audio data internally while its CPU accesses your harddrive, leaving your Macintosh to run LOGIC Audio at maximum speed. This is a great advantage for those who don't have access to a high-end Mac but want to enter the world of high quality digital multitrack effectively and economically. For those already using other audio hardware - for instance, Digidesign's Audiomedia or Session 8 - or even Macintosh's Sound Manager 3.0 and the computer's 16-bit audio in/outs (AV), the CBX-D3 and D5 from Yamaha represents a truly flexible method of expanding your existing system. Of course, all the power utilities of the Digital Factory can be used regardless of your choice of hardware.

The CBX Extension can be used alongside LOGIC Audio 2.6's built-in AV or DAE support simultaneously; simply choose the Output Device from a convenient menu. All audio files recorded within LOGIC Audio are 100% compatible and can be freely exchanged. As when using other hardware options, LOGIC Audio automatically scans your system and creates the appropriate control surface for the CBX using its unique Universal Audio Object. Current LOGIC Audio owners will appreciate the familiarity offered by this level of integration, while new users will appreciate the transparent setup procedures and smooth learning curve.
1997/04/29

Emagic’s Logic Audio v3.0 [...] CBX and TDM Extensions remain for the Mac[...]
https://www.audiotechnology.com/PDF/REVIEWS/Logic_Audio_3_Issue_1.pdf "1998"

Logic Audio Platinum version 3.1 is Emagic's "top of the line" professional recording solution, one that has gained critical international acclaim for it's highly musical real-time editing, unsurpassed timing at 960 PPQ, seamless integration of audio and MIDI, user configureabilty and overall flexibility. Logic Audio Platinum supports the following dedicated hardware right out of the box: All of Digidesign's current DAE-supported hardware including ProTools III/24 TDM systems, the Korg 1212 I/O, Audiowerk8, Apple Sound Manager, any Windows95 compatible soundcard, Yamaha CBX series, Akai DR8/16 and Soundscape SSHDR-1 (note: some of these hardware systems are platform specific).
https://www.sweetwater.com/publications/sweetnotes/sn-earlysummer98/page-08.html Early Summer 1998

Unter anderem bietet das Logic Audio Update 3.6 jetzt Kompatibilität mit VST-Plug-Ins sowie eine verbesserte Benutzeroberfläche. Ein Überblick war also angebracht…
Erfahren Sie schließlich, dass Platinum seinen Benutzern Multi-Hardware bietet: Alle Audioerweiterungen sind standardmäßig integriert (was früher nicht der Fall war, da jedes neue Gerät mit dem entsprechenden Treiber installiert werden musste). So erkennt die Software folgende Medien: Akai DR8/16, Macintosh internal A/V, DAE (Audiomedia II/III, Session 8 und Pro Tools Project), Audiowerk8, Korg 1212I/O, Yamaha CBX und Soundscape SSHDR-1 ( für PC). Darüber hinaus unterstützen Logic Audio Gold und Platinum jetzt ASIO-Treiber. Es ist daher möglich, Karten wie die Yamaha DSP Factory oder das MOTU 2408 zu verwenden. Gute Nachrichten!
https://www.mastersynth.com/tests/logiciels/56-emagic-logic-audio-platinum-macintosh-un-grand-bond-pour-l-audio
translation: Logic Audio Platinum 3.6 Mac has integrated CBX support

« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 07:02:21 AM by smilesdavis »

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2023, 05:36:08 PM »
CBX extension:
I vaguely remember I have been chasing this one at the time. I may have it somewhere, I'll look (eventually). I did consider using Logic for driving the CBX, but have been put off by its compexity.

No luck, I have searched in many possible places, no trace of that thing.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2023, 06:14:31 PM »
i'll put it on my list of unicorns along cubase tdm 4.1
ive already found one impossible to find program which only 1 copy existed of :D the dev gave it to me
everything is possible

Offline cyberish

• Veteran Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2023, 11:45:55 PM »
I do own that Logic 2.5 extension floppy disc. But the thing has not more autorizations left. (those autorizations were copied on hdd and were lost if not copied back onto the floppy. This is what happened before I bought that stuff second hand )
If you guys want to try to hack it somehow, I could send it to you.
I do understand that this extension and so CBX support was integrated into Logic from version 4.0 on ?!?

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2023, 05:48:59 AM »
What does "infamous logic "CBX extension" is supposed to do? Am I missing something?

that infamous thing, that was expensive and that very few people ever saw, gave you the resources to use the CBX-D5 with Logic Audio. Smilesdavis quotes a pretty good description five posts away...

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2023, 04:15:26 PM »
expensive? from memory or did you see a price sheet recently? id love to see that

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2023, 05:09:13 AM »
It's just from memory. Was at least $100. Maybe Cyberish knows, he has that disk. We may suppose he bought it...

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2023, 07:16:15 AM »
It's just from memory. Was at least $100. Maybe Cyberish knows, he has that disk. We may suppose he bought it...

yea, also i hope he scans it for us, id love to see the label and it also helps people i asked to look for it identify it

Offline cyberish

• Veteran Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2023, 02:23:27 PM »
dunno about price. got that extension floppies second hand.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2023, 03:18:06 PM »
amazing thanks for letting us take a peek at the LAM2.5 (1996) unicorn extensions. 

cbx-d3 (1994) on its way to me. 25 eur. score.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 03:28:53 PM by smilesdavis »

Offline cyberish

• Veteran Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2023, 03:30:07 PM »
dunno about price. got that extension floppies second hand.

I just rechecked: this CBX extension floppy is copy protected. On Mac OS X I can see that extension file to be installed by a VISE installer but it's not possible to copy it.
I tried to copy it with DiskDup but there's no avail. SmilesDavis told me to be able to Kyroflux it. Probably the last chance to safe these floppies for the future.
The floppy content actually also updates Logic 2.5 to 2.5.4 . - Do we have somewhere Logic 2.5 (not 2.5.1 etc.) ?