Classic Mac Hardware (Troubleshooting, Upgrading, & Modifying) > Storage Technologies

The Definitive EVB-002 Guide to Adding Large Hard Drives/SSDs (Power Mac G4 DA)

<< < (4/4)

IIO:
thanks guys for all your efforts.

at least we have learned something, and i think it was worth a try.

my new spare QS rev2 arrived, and now i am finally going to buy 2x 4TB disks to do some experiments with low level formatting.

there is also an IDE card on its way to me (not sure model/specs yet) which i want to check out in conjunction with regular "green" (not bribge) adapters.

i will also be able to test the new 3112 drivers for a bit - please recommend me a cheapo card to buy.

IIO:

--- Quote ---I had to delete your post, since I did not want to confuse newbies,

1) It is NOT a side effect of drive setup 2.1

2) In order for the partitions past the 128GB to function (read and write), the hardware has to be 48-bit compliant period
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Seems that as long as you format and partition larger hard drives (above 128 GB) with Drive Setup 2.1 under OS 9… you CAN have oodles of partitions and usable space above and beyond 128 GB - or just one big honking space under OS 9. Now here’s the catch / caveat / heartbreaker. (You reading along here IIO?)
--- End quote ---

i have to open up the old sore once more, because i simply can not believe that apple put an ATA-6 controller into the DA and then limited the transfer speed to ATA-5, which is not even supported by the newly introduced device configuration overlay.

are you guys sure you have evidence that these volumes can fully be used? which probably would require at least to write more than 128 gb worth of data onto the partitions?

and how do we explain then that OSX does not allow you to format the disk like that on the DA? (and not even use the disk)

while i am on the >2 TB experiment i might try to reproduce your >128 experiment on an old QS rev1.

FBz:
Not so much an “old sore” - but more like countless hours and effort spent to test and substantiate that it does in-fact work in the Digital Audio machines… by DieHard, mopar300m and myself. (Surprising as all that might actually be.) AND DieHard did actually test & accomplish filling those “extra” partitions - above and beyond the previous accepted as fact, 128 GB limit - reading AND writing data. (mopar300m ALSO did the write/read ritual.)

It was however, on an “OS 9 only” DA machine.

My only concern was the problem with also having OS X present and effectively “throwing a wrench” into the works. I do however intend to return to this and test with OS X on a separate drive (either as Master or Slave) and thus keep it apart from the OS 9 only, now extended capability of the larger drive. Whether that may be on another SSD, a Seagate with the double jumper  “Master with non-compatible slave” capability OR just a regular old HDD of that era.

Don’t care if all the partitions mount and appear under OS X in the above scenario - as that will only serve to not allow writing backwards to them from OS X. (We know what that can cause.)

And I don’t like the idea of a regular HDD mounted on top of an SSD (on the ribbon cable Master / Slave order) as a Slave… so it may be another SSD or the “special” Seagate Mwncs HD on the bottom. (Although I think I’ve already tested that?) At any rate, don’t like not having OS X present and will again retest. Always, more testing.

Und “How do we explain this working?” You might note DieHard’s comment above… “OK, I know this is crazy, but…”.  IT works. Period. Full stop.

As far as testing the >128 GB on an old QS Rev.1… that could be interesting but I suggest that you post those results under http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,6234.0.html as again, it may confuse this issue, here, further… otherwise.

Now, if you’ve a DA and have additional results from testing that… do please post those results here.

*Think I still have a Rev.1 QS board installed in a QS and I may try it as well (and also post any results from that, in the aforementioned above thread. (*It’s that QS Rev.1 board that I hacked the Bus speed to 150 MHz.) ;)

DieHard:

--- Quote ---are you guys sure you have evidence that these volumes can fully be used?
which probably would require at least to write more than 128 gb worth of data onto the partitions?
--- End quote ---

Yes, as stated...

--- Quote ---I filled the entire 500GB drive under OS 9.2.2 and all volumes still test perfectly with First Aid.
--- End quote ---

I filled volumes 2 and 3 with toast images from our site.  No errors, tested them with first aid (both volumes were past the 128GB boundary), NO errors; then I copied some files randomly from volumes 2 and 3 to a FW drive

--- Quote ---and how do we explain then that OSX does not allow you to format the disk like that on the DA? (and not even use the disk)
--- End quote ---
That is the whole purpose of this post, OS 9 does NOT not have a dynamic drive overlay (as far as anyone knows), so it would stand to reason that the hardware itself in the DA is 48-bit compliant, yet OS X cannot format the drive past 128GB, so I am definitely stumped, it makes no sense at all !.

The DA is supposedly made before... (from Wikepedia)

--- Quote ---The IDE standard included 22-bit LBA as an option, which was further extended to 28-bit with the release of ATA-1 (1994) and to 48-bit with the release of ATA-6 (2003)
--- End quote ---

But the QS 2002 rev 2 is also made before 2003 and it is documented to support large drives, so we really got some scientific data that does not make sense, yet the real world experiments have proven the facts on 3 different DA units.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version