Author Topic: Rare Cube For Sale  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Cashed

• Enthusiast Member
  • ⏺ ⏪ ⏸ ⏩ 🌐
Rare Cube For Sale
« on: February 16, 2022, 11:41:08 AM »
RARE Apple Power Macintosh G4 450 Cube FOR SALE
Ad created Jan. 27

❝Even today, a healthy segment of Mac users considers the Cube to be a cult classic...

When it comes to love-it-or-hate-it products out of Cupertino, few offerings can match the Power Mac G4 Cube for getting people to choose sides. Even a decade after its debut—Steve Jobs unveiled the Cube at the July 2000 Macworld Expo in New York and the desktop shipped a month later—the Cube still stirs passionate debate between its detractors and defenders.❞
~MacWorld

"Collector's item. Steve Jobs wanted the machine to be silent, but it was not, as the hard drive was rotating and therefore spun a little. In this copy, the hard drive has been replaced with an adapter and an SSD, so now it makes as much noise as a calculator. The rare speakers and the rare CRT screen are included. As well as I have the original LCD screen, which is also included, however, in questionable condition. Everything in photos works. OSX 10.3 is included and is the version (10.3.9) of OSX that the Cube runs best with. The parts are made of acrylic and can therefore be polished with acrylic polish, if desired. Exceptionally cheap $460 / €403" ~Sellers statement (Original Price $1799)

450 GHZ
111 GB HDD
RAM 1.5 GB
Item condition: Good, but used
Shipping: No
Specs: Link

MacOS 9 Support: Boot/Classic Mode
This Power Macintosh G4 model is capable of booting Mac OS 9 and using Mac OS 9 applications within the Mac OS X "Classic" environment. the seller states it runs best on Mac OS X Panther 10.3 -I'm, sure other Cube owners can add a statement to that.
Cube Introduction Date: July 19, 2000   - Discontinued Date: July 3, 2001
Pre-Installed MacOS:   9.0.4, 9.1*   Maximum MacOS:   X 10.4.11
Panther 10.3 released October 24, 2003. So I don't know why the seller says it runs best on 10.3, but my best guess is the seller will have an easier time selling it the X System to "modern" users.
I'm sure DieHard can assist with additional info.

One could always use dosdude1's workshop https://doslabelectronics.com/ and have them overclock it or make other enhancements to it.

The Ad is posted on a site that most people don't go to.
This Cube is located in DK, if anyone want to buy this, my offer as always is the same.
You can pm me for assistance in contacting the seller for inspecting, acquiring, packaging and shipping, if need be -just an offer. Though this Cube is located 199 Mph / 320 Km away from me, it will take some planning.

Download the Cube Photo Shots to see all 21 photos

@DieHard + @refinery -I agree 100%, though I still recall I drooled at the Mac Pro at first glance -both still have the same effect design wise.
Attached to external values instead of the internals -is a mindset that needs to be flipped.

Update: February 18, 2022: A trip has just been planned for this summer, so heading there anyway. As I've got family that way and my daughter is going to visit a friend. Anyone are welcome to contact me, just sent me a PM.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 05:04:50 AM by Cashed »
Browse the Web from ANY Old Tech using ANY Web Browser: FrogFind!68k.news by Action Retro -F/P after Avast update.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Rare Cube For Sale
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 03:29:09 PM »
Steve Jobs unveiled the Cube at the July 2000 Macworld Expo in New York and the desktop shipped a month later

I was at that expo running a booth for Steinberg and I remember that they had about 10 to 15 Cubes setup a few booths away and I was blown away at the thought of making music with a super quiet Mac... I ran over there during breaks and was so happy to play with them... my dreams were quickly crushed at the same expo when I asked the TC Electronics guys about PowerCore (FW PowerCore would be released a few years later) for the Cube.   Unfortunately, I quickly realized that the Cube would not be powerful enough to run all of the new VST Instruments and Plugins natively without the need for outboard/rack gear.  We were so close back then, we knew we would get there eventually, but the Cube was not the ticket... for as it looked great on the outside, it lacked the typical apple magic of a new species on the inside :(

The Cube peaked out with a 500Mhz CPU, and no re-engineering of the PPC Sawtooth G4 Tower daughterboard was done at all.  No expansion, no new technologies, expandable via FW only !  Not even a Type II Cardslot. IMO this was a real mistake by apple, to redesign an incredibly innovative small G4 casing, and jam the same CPU board, Video card, and IDE hard drive as an AGP desktop... It was almost like zero effort was put into thinking outside the box (or the cube) when it came to new storage technologies or expansion.  The design team meeting at apple must have gone like this... "We have a CPU card, a 3.5" hard drive, and an AGP video Card, here they are on the table... now you guys have to fit this stuff into an extremely small case"

Within the next 12 months, most audio & video workstation users would buy the DP Quicksilver 800 and pass on the Cube or if purchased, put the very expensive Cube in the kid's bedroom or in the home office as the web/email/ business mac.

That is not to say that I was not fond of the Cube. From the innovative "Pull the guts out with a handle" case... to the amazing quietness, it was like alien Borg technology, but the excitement faded as it was obvious the power was just not going to put the cube in Home music studios or publishing houses.  It was a really cool 1 year experiment in what Apple could achieve and paved the way for the mini.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 09:48:31 AM by DieHard »

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
Re: Rare Cube For Sale
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 12:18:32 AM »
No expansion, no new technologies, expandable via FW only !  Not even a Type II Cardslot. IMO this was a real mistake by apple, to redesign an incredibly powerful small G4, and jam the same CPU board, Video card, and IDE hard drive as an AGP desktop... It was almost like zero effort was put into thinking outside the box (or the cube) when it came to new storage technologies or expansion.  The design team meeting at apple must have gone like this... "We have a CPU card, a 3.5" hard drive, and an AGP video Card, here they are on the table... now you guys have to fit this stuff into an extremely small case"

funny how history repeats itself.

got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind