Author Topic: WEBBR² RPC RPS VP  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Cashed

• Enthusiast Member
  • ⏺ ⏪ ⏸ ⏩ 🌐
WEBBR² RPC RPS VP
« on: February 06, 2022, 12:42:13 PM »
Extending the browser functionality of Mac OS 9.3, and Beyond ! Post

We'd appreciate if even more members, as well as guests, would post their finds.
Please don't hesitate: There's no such thing as a 'mistake' or 'stupid' post.
Posting - The whole point of a forum, allows users to express themselves.
❝one man's trash is another man's treasure❞

Every tiny scrap of information, in fact truly helps us all and, gets amassed in our ever expanding monumental knowledge archive.
Don't expect replies, one may catch a hint and time flies by while tracking down additional clues on multiple new browser tabs. The rabbit holes go deep and everyones got their everyday lives. But know with certainty, that your shares and finds always helps.

BROWSE

This is our current 99 threads/posts regarding web browsers
There are many, many great posts to be read, but be aware, you'll loose track of time, once you go down that hole.

We've already covered iCab - The Taxi for the Internet web browser -for now. It's a great browser, a great idea and a wish -we'll be revisiting again shortly.

New browser project for Mac OS 9? by dotexe1337, thanks for posting it -as I already pm you -it's a great idea.

But what these have in common, along with any other browser idea, are it's a huge undertaking. No matter if you are on one of the Original systems or any other, all the way up to El Capitan, I think Sierra is hit too if my memory serves me right.
There's nothing wrong with any of the 20 browsers that I've tried, but the World Wide Web will keep changing. In 2014 people wanted to pay to get OmniWeb to work, in 2019 OmniWeb gave up. If we head down the road of building a better Web Browser, it will be 24/7 work and the issues will keep piling up.

Browsing on the subject -here's a few of my finds:

Japanese Browser Shiira Takes on Safari 
Written by Dr. Light     
Friday, August 27, 2004
With the initial goal of becoming more powerful than Safari, the open source project Shiira has big ambitions. Currently, Shiira is close to matching Safari in its feature list, and well on its way to achieving its goal. When it comes to surfing the web, Shiira is catching some righteous waves. Developers may be interested to know that the Cocoa-based source code is available.

Related Link: Shira Project
Other Link: osdn.net/projects/shiira/

Based on WebKit released 1998, sourced 2005.

In 2009 they still hadn't made it run right cnet.com

"Here's an appetizer"

Just a "doing whatever I can to browse the web on my powermacs with ease" MacRumors Apr 6, 2020 post.
Written by XaPHER
reconnecting old browsers/lightweight browsing

❯❯ Not coming here often, thought I just felt like sharing some of my experience about the new further deprecation of TLS 1.1 and below that many significant websites adopted.

Given how much attention has been paid to OS X for PowerMacs since 2010, it doesn't make that much of a difference on leopard and tiger when it comes to just web browsing. In contrast, Classilla 9.3.3 has been badly injured by this. For example I can no longer connect to any of WikiMedia's domains I regularly used (Wikipedia, wiktionary, etc), nor most non-google search engines (alas, duckduckgo) using Classilla since it connects to https using TLS 1.0 and below. †††††

This hit Webkit-based OS X browsers as well. The system frameworks in 10.4 and 10.5 support up to TLS 1.0. iCab, Safari, Stainless, Roccat and others can get an updated security framework by means of leopard-webkit recent versions. At this point it enables support for TLS up to 1.2. That said, some "webkit shells" browsers are left out by this because they do not directly link or interact with the security framework and leave it to other system frameworks. Among others, Fluid instances, Sunrise, (IIRC) demeter/shiira, and likely web pages displayed within the dashboard behave this way.

It also means once google/youtube follows this trend, quicktime and other OS X-native players won't read videos directly from a youtube URL anymore (except rtsp:// as far as it goes).

What about omniweb?

There's another webkit browser that doesn't get relinked by the leopard-webkit droplet for different reasons: OmniWeb. It has its own custom webkit, webcore, javascriptcore integrated inside its .app package. In terms of overall out-of-the-box feature set and light footprint, OmniWeb still is my rank #1. It has extensive per-site preferences, ad-blocking, a very responsive UI, starts up ridiculously fast, (to me) feels more OS X-native than safari, and is badly out-of-date with current web standards. The droplet refuses to relink OmniWeb to leopard-webkit, but if it just loads the security framework from lepWK it will support TLS 1.2 as well.

Relinking

Do not do this on 10.4:

It doesn't even require manual relinking with install_name_tool : OmniWeb has a mechanism that prioritizes loading from its own frameworks folder before /System/Library/Frameworks/. Just use an already relinked application LepWK and go to application LepWK.app/Contents/frameworks/ , then copy security.framework, libgcc_s.1.dylib, libstdc++.6.dylib and libsqlite3.dylib to OmniWeb.app/Contents/frameworks/.

Note: Don't use the security.framework inside webkit.app, it won't load properly; use a relinked app.

This way, Github, which has been TLS 1.2+ only for a while should connect and load:

The Tenfourfox Github repository page, very poorly rendered in omniweb

Why would I use OmniWeb if it won't render a single page correctly?

Up to you. It's definitely not suitable for every use but, once javascript and GIF images animation are disabled, it's ridiculously fast and responsive. You can control your user agent and much more on a per-site basis. To me it's a decent feature-rich www browser for lightweight use. Many pages will render incorrectly or won't render at all, but in the end I don't mind. As long as I can navigate them(which is the case for github). Avoid untrusted sites, don't submit personal/login information, disable cookies by default, keep javascript off, use Tenfourfox otherwise. I like old school websites more of course. Gopher support is also nice to have!

Tip: https://duckduckgo.com/lite renders perfectly using omniweb.

Just a "doing whatever I can to browse the web on my powermacs with ease" ❮❮

Along my search a few hints popped up, one of them was a hack written by Jamie Zawinski in 2008.
http10proxy
2008   Have you ever wanted to run a really, really old web browser, like one from 1994? I have. If you have, you may have discovered that they don't work with most modern web servers, because they spoke HTTP/1.0 instead of HTTP/1.1. Specifically, they don't send a "Host" header, and don't understand the "charset" parameter in "Content-Type". However, if you point one of these antique browsers at this proxy server, it will translate. (To run those old browsers on modern Linux systems, you'll also need some old libraries.)

Which suggested to me that some of the new workarounds were deviations of earlier work.
Browservice has already been mentioned Browse Modern Websites on Old Computers! – Browservice Tutorial & Demo 72,479 views Jan 13, 2021
Which goes to show how many are still interested.

Even tho the RaspBerry PI only uses 4 watts, I'm a bit perplexed with the prospects of having to use one computer to get another one to work.
So I were thinking more in the terms of a Web browser to Web browsing remote procedure calls on reverse proxy server on a virtual platform.

But then I found there's already something out there working. I Rebuilt the Entire Internet... for Vintage Computers (FrogFind and 68K News!) 47,911 views Apr 10, 2021

So I ask again are we glaring at this from fixated mindsets?

Remember to ADD BOOKMARK for this New Browser Thread if you're working on it or it interests you. You find it in the top on every thread.
Do the same with other subjects that interests you, create your own structure on your "WestWorld" of forums.

Stay curious -forever!

Please Post Your Browser Related Finds Here

Browse the Web from ANY Old Tech using ANY Web Browser: FrogFind!68k.news by Action Retro -F/P after Avast update.