Author Topic: OS9 Drivers for Phonic Firefly 302 FireWire Audio Interface?  (Read 4557 times)

Offline edd_jedi

• Newcomer
OS9 Drivers for Phonic Firefly 302 FireWire Audio Interface?
« on: January 31, 2022, 06:22:39 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone is aware of OS9 compatible drivers, either manufacturer specific or generic, that might enable me to use my Phonic Firefly 302 with OS9. The manual says it requires 10.3+, and it works plug-and-play in 10.4, but I can't get OS9 to recognise it. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: OS9 Drivers for Phonic Firefly 302 FireWire Audio Interface?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 03:01:39 PM »
Both you and Zefrenchtoon with his Focusrite Scarlett Solo, also posting today, have the same problem, so you're both going to get the same answer.
You have modern audio interfaces that don't have - because they don't need - any drivers.
Today's Macs ever since early OSX, use Apple Core Audio where audio devices are recognized as "class compliant" and are automatically treated as audio i/o. Since OS9 pre-dates that, there are no drivers or allowances for such in the Mac hardware.
There were (once upon a time) Steinberg ASIO (Audio Stream Input/Output) drivers for Macs (and still are for new Windoze) provided by the interface manufacturers but since it's only we the few, the proud, the brave using ancient obsolete Model-T computers, they don't bother to do that specially for us.

Not what you wanted to hear I know, but unfortunately it's reality.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 08:07:25 PM »
So, one kinda workaround to using modern interfaces and/or pre-amps... is to get a PCI card that has optical I/O that works under Mac OS9; the RME 9652 comes to mind...

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/old/english/mac/mac9652.htm

Now, I kinda hate when I spit out dumb things like "Optical I/O" because newbies never use it and there are definitely things you will have to research about gear and PCI cards that support Optical I/O and more specifically TOSLINK.

TOSLINK light pipe connectors are what you want to focus on, they can transfer audio in 2 channels (TOSLINK SPDIFF) and (TOSLINK ADAT) which can input 8 channels of audio simultaneously to your card. The OS 9 compatible PCI cards that have optical in/out have to be researched to see what input (stereo or 8 channel) they can accept, many accept both. Clocking/data sync is done via the optical signal itself, so this is a great way to introduce many pro (more modern than OS9 era) Mic pre-amps and other audio devices without needing any OS9 drivers at all.

Kind cool... and absolutely professional results... in many cases, way better quality than shitty ancient low-grade audio interfaces.

One example, buy an ancient ADAT machine with a broken tape transport (since you won't be using the tape at all) and you can use the ADAT inputs as an 8-channel interface into going into an RME 9652 PCI card. Basically, light pipe is light pipe and you open up a whole world of devices that have nice A/D converters and no "Mac OS 9" drivers that are now usable in this scenario.

Offline Cashed

• Enthusiast Member
  • ⏺ ⏪ ⏸ ⏩ 🌐
Re: OS9 no Drivers
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 01:37:14 AM »
That's one heck of a brilliant workaround hack.
Browse the Web from ANY Old Tech using ANY Web Browser: FrogFind!68k.news by Action Retro -F/P after Avast update.

Offline edd_jedi

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 01:44:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies. My Mac is a G4 Cube so unfortunately a PCI card isn't an option, it needs to be something external. In fact the Cube doesn't have any audio I/O at all built in, which is why I use the FW interface in OS X. I understand that Mac OS 9 does recognise the USB speakers that shipped with the Cube, but they are obviously terrible, so maybe I'll have to try and find an old USB audio interface.

Offline Cashed

• Enthusiast Member
  • ⏺ ⏪ ⏸ ⏩ 🌐
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 02:42:16 AM »
An idea just came to mind, when I turned away from this, it kept tumbling around in my head.
So taking my own advice, when I tell others as not to hesitate and please post.
I were thinking about TOSLINK and if a mini-TOSLINK adapter would work?
I read what edd_jedi said and see the Cube has no port for sound in.
But what about using a S-Video to toslink converter there's even TOSLINK to S-Video to USB 2.0 ?
OH god, nvm, I see there's no S-Video port either, any converter options for the other ports, RJ-11, USB 1.1 ?
Could be useful for Mac mini owners likewise.

Any given answers can be useful in its own right.
If one never asks, ones progress may stall -stay curious! ;)
Browse the Web from ANY Old Tech using ANY Web Browser: FrogFind!68k.news by Action Retro -F/P after Avast update.

Offline zefrenchtoon

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 11:24:10 AM »
My problem is almost the same but with a mini.
I got a M-Audio Transit for cheap but it lacks of volume control so I am looking for one with volume control (and more if possible, hence the Scarlett). Maybe I will go for a Behringer UCA-202.

Of course if we can find a way to restore sound on minis …  -afro-

Offline Cashed

• Enthusiast Member
  • ⏺ ⏪ ⏸ ⏩ 🌐
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 12:59:07 PM »
Same here zefrenchtoon ;)
I did buy an old M-Audio Ozone midicontroller with built-in audio card, prior to buying my mini, but I knew there were OS 9 drivers for it. I’m sure a more qualified than me would suggest you the best to get. The only thing I can say is you won’t be missing drivers if you go with Edirol / Roland, as they list all their old drivers on their site, but there a ton of others.

Since I turned away from this post, having my attention elsewhere, a memory came to mind.
I recall way back, having a tape with a jack wired to it. It was meant for the car, when you inserted it and hit play, any external audio from e.g a walkman would play out of the car speakers.
This memory gave me an idea that the EIDE port the combo drive/CD-ROM are attached to, instead could be used for audio signal in.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/digital-audio-from-ide.50187/
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=57114
Maybe this is something Kay Koba from Kero's Mac Mods surely would be able to concoct.

Offline Cashed

• Enthusiast Member
  • ⏺ ⏪ ⏸ ⏩ 🌐
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2022, 06:40:47 AM »
I most likely didn’t make much sense yesterday, I know the signs. It’s time for me to cut the stream input, pull the plug and go off the grid -for a while. Just wrapping this up.

Swop your combo/CD ROM with a IDE Cassette Player. Then use a Cassette tape adapter.
In your case add edd_jedi, you should get one with double-sided heads, then you'll have sound out as well.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2022, 12:34:54 PM »
so maybe I'll have to try and find an old USB audio interface.

or a firewire interface... (one which supports both OS, then you get get rid of the other one)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 11:56:23 AM »
That's one heck of a brilliant workaround hack.

It is not even workaround hack...some people wanted choose separate A/D
with optical digital in first place to avoid ground noise  ;)