Author Topic: *help* Sleep & brightness control WITHOUT acceleration (FX Go5200 32mb)  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Michael567123

• Just installed Mac OS 9 yay
So yeah I know my graphics card isn’t really supported in OS 9 with acceleration (Nvidia FX Go 5200 32mb VRAM) 

Sleep mode is number my number 1 priority in this case, it’s so annoying to have to shut down my PowerBook G4 everytime I just want to take it somewhere plus lets say I’m the dark; the brightness control however not working really isn’t that bad because the default brightness settings aren’t to high, but still it’ll be nice if the brightness can be patched

If acceleration patching is possible I will be happy to accept a modified driver/extension for my Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200 32mb

Here are the specs exactly
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 07:55:41 AM by Michael567123 »

Offline Michael567123

Re: *help* Sleep & brightness control WITHOUT acceleration (FX Go5200 32mb)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 07:46:22 AM »
This is my current Mac OS rom file I have installed it’s supposed to fix the backlight issue but for me it doesn’t

Offline Cashed

• Enthusiast Member
  • ⏺ ⏪ ⏸ ⏩ 🌐
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 03:29:31 PM »
Welcome Michael

Gratz on reaching heaven by booting Mac OS9 natively.

How much have you used the search field in Home▷ upper right corner, searching the entire forum:
Mac OS 9 iMac G4 6,3 1.25 With FX5200 Ultra
Early 2004 iBook G4 (1GHz, 12") grey screen

Try reading up on these and search others. If none offers any help, do please return  :)
Browse the Web from ANY Old Tech using ANY Web Browser: FrogFind!68k.news by Action Retro -F/P after Avast update.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 11:27:24 AM »
So yeah I know my graphics card isn’t really supported in OS 9 with acceleration (Nvidia FX Go 5200 32mb VRAM) 

Sleep mode is number my number 1 priority in this case, it’s so annoying to have to shut down my PowerBook G4 everytime I just want to take it somewhere plus lets say I’m the dark; the brightness control however not working really isn’t that bad because the default brightness settings aren’t to high, but still it’ll be nice if the brightness can be patched

If acceleration patching is possible I will be happy to accept a modified driver/extension for my Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200 32mb

Fixing these issues requires a Native Device Driver 'NDRV' for Mac OS 9 for the Go5200.

Radeon/ATI cards have 'NDRV's under OS X, sadly nVidia cards passed the GF4 have no 'NDRV's under OS X, so we can't use them to create OS 9 drivers.

I tried everything I can think of to make it work, it's going to require writing our own 'NDRV' for OS 9, and as Apple's documentation on 'NDRV's is next to useless, and nVidia won't release the data sheets for these old cards, or any cards for that matter, it's going to require a reverse engineer of the nouveau Linux drivers and someone with knowledge of OS 9 style "NDRV's.

Basically your best hope is to forget about it, because it's never likely to happen. Even if we had an 'NDRV' that wouldn't fix the sleep issues, tho it would allow the card to enter sleep mode, the system crashes on sleep exit with no way to debug.

An 'NDRV' won't fix 2D/3D acceleration, that would require more drivers still, porting MESA to OS 9, requiring a much newer GCC than anything that exists for OS 9, not to mention all the other dependencies for MESA.

It could be done, by someone with correct knowledge, but could be and will be are not the same thing, best hope would be to learn to code for OS 9 and do it yourself, there was a very old port of MESA to the classic Mac OS before Apple embraced OpenGL that allowed for Software render of OpenGL, so that is a starting place.

Here is my advice, if you want it bad enough, don't count on anyone else to do it for you, learn to code and do it yourself, or forget about it. Coders with the kinds of skills to take on these tasks a busy making programs for modern computers that still have a market. They like to get paid. Even at Apple or nVidia, I'd say there are very few people left that even understand OS 9 or the GeForce GPU's used it G4's.

Outside of them, you are talking to the person with the most knowledge of both, and I'm not going to put forth the effort because there is no real market to make it worth the time invested.

Offline Michael567123

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 05:07:09 PM »

Fixing these issues requires a Native Device Driver 'NDRV' for Mac OS 9 for the Go5200.

Radeon/ATI cards have 'NDRV's under OS X, sadly nVidia cards passed the GF4 have no 'NDRV's under OS X, so we can't use them to create OS 9 drivers.

I tried everything I can think of to make it work, it's going to require writing our own 'NDRV' for OS 9, and as Apple's documentation on 'NDRV's is next to useless, and nVidia won't release the data sheets for these old cards, or any cards for that matter, it's going to require a reverse engineer of the nouveau Linux drivers and someone with knowledge of OS 9 style "NDRV's.

Basically your best hope is to forget about it, because it's never likely to happen. Even if we had an 'NDRV' that wouldn't fix the sleep issues, tho it would allow the card to enter sleep mode, the system crashes on sleep exit with no way to debug.

An 'NDRV' won't fix 2D/3D acceleration, that would require more drivers still, porting MESA to OS 9, requiring a much newer GCC than anything that exists for OS 9, not to mention all the other dependencies for MESA.

It could be done, by someone with correct knowledge, but could be and will be are not the same thing, best hope would be to learn to code for OS 9 and do it yourself, there was a very old port of MESA to the classic Mac OS before Apple embraced OpenGL that allowed for Software render of OpenGL, so that is a starting place.

Here is my advice, if you want it bad enough, don't count on anyone else to do it for you, learn to code and do it yourself, or forget about it. Coders with the kinds of skills to take on these tasks a busy making programs for modern computers that still have a market. They like to get paid. Even at Apple or nVidia, I'd say there are very few people left that even understand OS 9 or the GeForce GPU's used it G4's.

Outside of them, you are talking to the person with the most knowledge of both, and I'm not going to put forth the effort because there is no real market to make it worth the time invested.

Ahh I see ok I’m not really a “coder” but I’ve kinda given up on this OS 9 and tried Mac OS 10.1/10.0 because my specific PBG4 shipped with 10.2.7 at the minimum with a restore disc/iso needed so what I’ve been doing is “spoofing” my model by doing this

1st during boot hold down cmd + opt  + O + F to boot into open firmware (pretty straightforward) then type
——————————————————————————
nvedit
dev /
" PowerBook3,4" encode-string " model" property
" PowerBook3,4" encode-string " MacRISC" encode-string encode+ " MacRISC2" encode-string encode+ " Power Macintosh" encode-string encode+ " compatible" property
crtl + c (keystroke)
Nvstore
Setenv use-nvramrc? True
Mac-boot /reset-all
—————————————————————————
This got me to the Mac OS X puma happy Mac screen! then it had that classic rainbow CD then I realized. I had to get modified or 10.2.7 GeForce.kexts for it so it just froze then had a black/dim grey screen (machine was still running & DVD was still spinning) but I couldn’t find the GeForce NVDR and .kext to put in the extensions folder on the installer DVD (not read only of course) do u know where I could find such kext for the FX go 5200 for puma or cheetah?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 11:38:29 AM by Michael567123 »

Offline Cashed

• Enthusiast Member
  • ⏺ ⏪ ⏸ ⏩ 🌐
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 05:40:37 AM »
Puma Mac OS X 10.1 was released on September 25, 2001. Version 10.1.5 Build 5S60 June 5, 2002.
The NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 32M mobile graphics chip, launched March 1, 2003.

To be honest, imo I'd stick with 10.2.7 Jaguar and update it to 10.2.8. Starting with Jaguar, OS X began to stabilize. That's where I'm heading with my G5 Mac it has the NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 64M and came pre-installed with 10.3.5.

Quote from: Jubadub
Then you run it (or any other Classic-compatible app) on 10.2.8 Jaguar instead. The results? Marvelous. Could almost (or literally?) pass off as a natively-run Mac OS 9 app.

Quote from: Hopfenholz
Having spent about 100 hours trying to get any one of three separate 12” PowerBook G4s up and running booting native MacOS 9.2.2 I am interested in a “best in class” Classic solution.

Downloading Jaguar now...

Browse the Web from ANY Old Tech using ANY Web Browser: FrogFind!68k.news by Action Retro -F/P after Avast update.

Offline Michael567123

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 07:40:09 AM »
Ok after installing 10.2.7 jaguar then installing the combo 10.2.8 I found out jaguar won’t connect to my home WIFI (which is WPA2) I’m pretty sure the  10.3.3 (panther) update release introduced the airport update which introduced WPA/WPA-2 encryption  but I’m on jaguar (10.2.8) any 3rd party application that will work or any way to merge that 10.3.3 update to jaguar or anything? (Ethernet works fine but I don’t really use Ethernet in my home I just have 2 cables both are in use and short and in hard to reach places) that’s really my only issue with jaguar is wifi otherwise it’s good (except for outdated browsers like IE 6 & safari 1.2)

Offline Cashed

• Enthusiast Member
  • ⏺ ⏪ ⏸ ⏩ 🌐
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 08:23:03 AM »
Gratz, you got the best Classic Environment, you'll loose that if you go with Panther.

I'd just use a quick cheap trick and go with a USB WiFi adapter.

Actually on second thought, I'm not sure that would work, test it first connecting your phone and enabling internet sharing.

You can use a WiFi extender instead, the receiver must have ethernet ports.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 10:35:52 AM by Cashed »

Offline Michael567123

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 11:33:13 AM »
My iPhones hotspot uses WPA3 (iOS 15.2.1) unfortunately and is wayyyy too advanced for jaguar:(

Offline Cashed

• Enthusiast Member
  • ⏺ ⏪ ⏸ ⏩ 🌐
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 12:51:08 PM »
Hi Michael

I've had this nagging feeling, so I returned to your post and spectated your uploaded photo. I see G4 in the left corner.
You sure you installed this 10.2.8 update https://support.apple.com/kb/DL964?locale=en_US for the G4?
"The 10.2.8 Update (Build 6R73) delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for the following applications, services and technologies: Audio, Bluetooth, Classic compatibility, Finder, Graphics, LDAP, Power Management, Safari, and FireWire and USB device compatibility. It also includes an updated ethernet driver for 450MHz and 500MHz dual processor Power Mac G4 desktop systems and an update to the battery status menu."

And not the 10.2.8 G5 update -Right?

How's it going with getting it on the internet? Please do rebound, and share your finds, so it may benefit others.

Offline Cashed

• Enthusiast Member
  • ⏺ ⏪ ⏸ ⏩ 🌐
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 01:28:17 PM »
My iPhones hotspot uses WPA3 (iOS 15.2.1) unfortunately and is wayyyy too advanced for jaguar:(

Found there's a solution for using your phone as a hotspot after all.
RS232 Serial Wifi Modem
Easy WiFi
FF » to 22:00