Author Topic: New browser project for Mac OS 9?  (Read 4039 times)

Offline dotexe1337

• Newcomer
New browser project for Mac OS 9?
« on: January 04, 2022, 10:50:28 AM »
Hello, I was looking at the RetroZilla browser for Windows 9x, and they have working TLS1.1/1.2 on the old Mozilla codebase (which is what Classilla is forked from). I was thinking it may be possible to backport this code into Classilla.
However, they changed about 2,500 lines of code in order to achieve this, and I doubt it will be a simple copy-and-paste job either as RetroZilla uses a lot of C++ and (as far as I'm aware) Classilla is all C. It will be quite an undertaking.

Is anyone interested in working on such a project? The source code will be up on GitHub so anyone who is interested can contribute their changes.

I was thinking of calling this new Classilla fork "Kaiju" as Classilla is a is a portmanteau between Classic and Mozilla, and Mozilla is a portmanteau of Mosaic and Godzilla, with Godzilla being a Kaiju, which is a class of mythical Japanese monster.

Thank you for reading my post. :)

EDIT: Here is the TLS 1.2 commit from RetroZilla for those who are interested: https://github.com/rn10950/RetroZilla/commit/bb6b8a03fa89e6f745ef86148691a381ef1afe25

Offline ravensergal

• Newcomer
Re: New browser project for Mac OS 9?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 08:30:41 AM »
Have You Made any progress with this ?

i am on my iMac G3 with mac os 9 writing this

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 03:49:03 AM »
One thing that greatly enhances web browsing capabilities of Classilla is using a ssl proxy as it still renders normal websites good enough if it isn't locked out due to encryption. A raspberry Pi should be able to act as your low-energy consuming SSL proxy and comes in really cheap. Anyone know of a good and easy to grasp tutorial on setup?
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline bloedmage

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 11:41:33 AM »
I use the SSL proxy webone. I have it installed in a docker image on my synology NAS. It also has installation instructions for a rasberry pi. See: https://github.com/atauenis/webone/wiki/Linux-installation

Offline keithiepoo

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 11:02:08 PM »
Hello, I was looking at the RetroZilla browser for Windows 9x, and they have working TLS1.1/1.2 on the old Mozilla codebase (which is what Classilla is forked from). I was thinking it may be possible to backport this code into Classilla.
However, they changed about 2,500 lines of code in order to achieve this, and I doubt it will be a simple copy-and-paste job either as RetroZilla uses a lot of C++ and (as far as I'm aware) Classilla is all C. It will be quite an undertaking.

Is anyone interested in working on such a project? The source code will be up on GitHub so anyone who is interested can contribute their changes.

I was thinking of calling this new Classilla fork "Kaiju" as Classilla is a is a portmanteau between Classic and Mozilla, and Mozilla is a portmanteau of Mosaic and Godzilla, with Godzilla being a Kaiju, which is a class of mythical Japanese monster.

Thank you for reading my post. :)

EDIT: Here is the TLS 1.2 commit from RetroZilla for those who are interested: https://github.com/rn10950/RetroZilla/commit/bb6b8a03fa89e6f745ef86148691a381ef1afe25

I love Godzilla. And, I like Mac OS 9. Almost like peanut butter and chocolate.
“You're giving me the ‘it's not you, it's me’ routine? I invented ‘it's not you, it's me.’ Nobody tells me it's them not me; if it's anybody, it's me.”  ~ George Costanza