Author Topic: Mac Os9.2 Random Freezing on G4  (Read 4215 times)

Offline nickmeister

• Valued Member
Mac Os9.2 Random Freezing on G4
« on: December 09, 2021, 01:24:57 AM »
Hi, I recently installed Mac Os9.2 on my Powermac G4 1.25 MDD and it seems to be freezing up randomly when performing simple tasks or not doing anything at all?  It has 2gb ram installed Any idea what could be causing it?  Thanks

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
Re: Mac Os9.2 Random Freezing on G4
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 04:40:41 AM »
Ok, it definitely shouldn't do that (and doesn't do that on my G4 MDD)

Two things come to mind: hardware issue or extension issue.

Do you run OSX alongside OS9? Does it run stable?
When OS9 locks up, what were you doing? (e.g. copying files, playing games, ...)
Did you install a lot of programs after your recent OS install?

I recommend installing Macsbug as described here.
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline nickmeister

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 06:46:22 AM »
Hi thanks for the reply.  I installed Os9 only no OS X installed.  It seems to happen when double clicking to launch an application or file, it will just freeze up randomly?  So frustrating!

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 07:55:10 AM »
Hold down the Shift key at boot, until “Extensions Off” appears on screen, then release the shift key. If the freezing / lock-ups persist, then it’s likely not an extension conflict. If it doesn’t freeze… then you’ve a possible extension conflict. (Happy hunting.)

Also, what brand of mouse are you using? Apple or “other”?

And...

DieHard wrote a very inclusive guide post as to which control panels and extensions might be best turned off (especially DAW related) and there are other suggestions in that thread as well. You might want to review his post and others in this thread.

Extensions, Control Panels and General Tweaks.
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,570.msg1497.html#msg1497
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 08:28:14 AM by FBz »

Offline nickmeister

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 08:37:43 AM »
Hi using an apple usb mouse, just tried the shift key and symptoms still persist.  Just thinking would issues be down to which version of Os9 I have recently installed?  I downloaded and install the popular one from the downloads forum?  Thanks

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 10:38:44 AM »
Likely not a version issue. (MDD’s shipped with OS 9.2.2.)

You might boot and run Apple Hardware Test for the MDD and it can detect hardware problems.

Any extraneous or other added PCI cards installed? AND which USB port is the mouse plugged into? Might change it to a different USB port. AND do you have a different mouse to try?

Any previous software still resident on your HD? Did you format / wipe your HD before the recent installation?

Remove all cards other than video and see if that makes any difference. AND no external drives or other devices connected while installing or troubleshooting.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 02:01:23 PM »
Hi, I recently installed Mac Os9.2 on my Powermac G4 1.25 MDD and it seems to be freezing up randomly when performing simple tasks or not doing anything at all?  It has 2gb ram installed Any idea what could be causing it?  Thanks

As FBz said.... step one and absolutely step one is to download the diagnostics, found here:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,822.0.html

Remove all cards except video, run the "extended" test for RAM, sounds like a bad memory stick or MB issue.

Every new setup, even if the mac is used, should start with a hardware diag., without this baseline, you are wasting your time and possibly chasing a bunch of "non-issues"

Offline nickmeister

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 03:31:46 PM »
Thanks all, I bought the Mac used and it came with 3 different 1gb ram sticks in it.  Anyone confirm which type of ram is compatible with this machine? 

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 04:03:18 PM »
Should work with PC2700 or PC3200, if using more than 1 stick, match speeds, clean all gold contacts with electronics cleaner and a paper tower (get the can of cleaner from auto parts store), non-conductive, fast drying, blow off paper power fluff with compressor or canned air, boot to diag cd by holding "C" key and test

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 10:18:16 PM »
freezing could also be caused by faulty RAM (more likely than wrong RAM i guess)

remove them one by one to find out.

(and always pull the plug, please)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline nickmeister

• Valued Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2021, 05:32:52 AM »
Thanks I’ve downloaded the diagnostic repair file and burned as a cd in toast, held down C but it’s stuck with the following screenshot?

Offline nickmeister

• Valued Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2021, 07:12:25 AM »
Hi all just to update I decided to reinstall the whole operating system again.  I formatted the drive to include the Os9 drivers on another Mac then rebooted from this after installing and seems to have done the trick!  I am able to install applications now without crashing… will see how it goes!!

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2021, 07:40:58 AM »
GREAT! Now try to run AHT again to give you a complete picture of any possible problems before you begin counting on that machine completely.

Here are some other suggestions written today before your report above of the successful OS re-install. Hope they’re now all moot at this time.

So… BEFORE it completely loads the Apple Hardware Test, you’re getting a USB Setup Error via Open Firmware?

Did you try typing mac-boot… or shut-down at the screen prompt?

IF there is a problem with the USB controller, this might explain your sporadic mouse freeze / lock-up. But…

Might try connecting your keyboard (and mouse) to a different USB port(s) to see if that might make any difference AND attempt the Apple Hardware Test again.

I wonder if typing mac-boot might allow the machine to boot from the AHT disk to complete the testing OR if this USB Error completely prevents that?

Nothing else in any other USB port, other than the keyboard and / or the mouse?

Mouse plugged into keyboard, or into another USB port by itself?

All USB cables for mouse & keyboard in good shape? No kinks, frays or super “bent” wire shielding near point of USB insertion or exit from the mouse? Quite a few of the original “mice” from that era have damaged wiring from twisting & turning, over many years of use. Often, this can provide intermittent connections at that exit point.

Have also experienced some USB ports working better than others.

AND you might try C-booting the AHT at first, with the mouse disconnected… to later be connected - IF AHT boots successfully.
Closely examine your mouse.

Offline nickmeister

• Valued Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2021, 07:58:50 AM »
Great thanks for all the useful info I will give a try!

Offline nickmeister

• Valued Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2021, 08:04:34 AM »
I also just wanted to say what an amazing community this is!  People taking time out to write and help others, amazing…

I am so glad I found this forum Os9 totally rocks!!

Offline nickmeister

• Valued Member
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2021, 09:02:06 AM »
Well it seems I spoke too soon!  I rebooted my Mac today and received this error message…”sorry a system error occurred” with a bomb symbol next to it?  I’ve tried rebooting and same message appears and does not boot properly?  I have tried to download the disk diagnostics but unable to burn to cd and boot from it?