Author Topic: Installing from USB, iBook G3, floppy disk question mark!  (Read 4170 times)

Offline CaptainCorndog

Installing from USB, iBook G3, floppy disk question mark!
« on: December 06, 2021, 08:42:05 PM »
TL;DR disk drive broken, all USB attempts end up in "question mark floppy disk"

Hi! Trying to install OS 9.2.2 on an iBook G3 via USB

Current setup:
Apple iBook G3/500 (Dual USB)
   • M768LL/A (early 2001)
   • Currently running OS X 10.4 Tiger
   • 10gb HDD, one partition
   • OPTICAL DRIVE NOT FUNCTIONAL!

Versions attempted to load:
   1. Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install (http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2109.0.html)
   2. Mactron Bootable Rescue CD (http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1657.0.html)

How I've tried to load these:
Tried the following on two USB drives (1gb, 8gb), both are USB2.0 and formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
   • MacOS9.2.2 Universal install:
      ○ Try 1: wrote entire ISO file to the USB drive, using disk utility RESTORE (on the ibook)
      ○ Try 2: wrote MacOS9Lives.img file (found inside of the Universal install ISO file) to the USB drive, using disk utility RESTORE (on the ibook)
   • Mactron Bootable Rescue CD:
      ○ Try 1: wrote entire ISO file to USB drive, using disk utility RESTORE (on the ibook)

How I booted these:
      1. Booted holding CMD-OPT-O-F
         - used the following to boot: boot usb0/disk@1:,\\:tbxi (usb0 was front port, usb1 was rear port)
      2: Booted holding OPT and selecting the USB drive (screen showed HDD and USB)

The result:
Floppy disk with question mark flashing. Every time.

I'm kinda at my wits end. Anyone have thoughts?
Please i'm trying to avoid the options of: replace the CD drive ($$), or buy another OS9 machine and use Target Disk Mode via firewire ($$$)

Other tools I've got:
   •Powerbook G4, running 10.3, no native OS9 capability
   •two modern macs
   •windows machines
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 09:55:26 PM by CaptainCorndog »

Offline DrNo7

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Installing from USB, iBook G3, floppy disk question mark!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 10:27:59 PM »
Hi Captain Corndog,

I do not remember USB boot being an option back in the OS9 days.
However, with your other PowerBook running 10.3, you can use the target mode on your iBook and then use Classic on 10.3 to restore the universal 9.2.2 installer on the iBook disk.

As usual, do not forget to check the OS9 driver boc when formatting the disk with Disk Utility.

Keep us posted on your progress :)
Ti 1 GHz / 1 GB / FW SSD / Airport Extreme PCMCIA (triple boot)
Alu 12 1.5GHz / 1.5 GB / 256 GB mSata SSD (dual boot for now)

Offline CaptainCorndog

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 10:27:48 AM »
Ok, I've got the Powerbook G4 (osx 10.3) connected via Target Mode to the iBook G3. Neat!

At no point am I seeing the option to "Install Mac OS 9 disk drivers" even though I expect to. It's not present when I use ERASE (both for the partition AND the volume) or when I use RESTORE.

…which I think is the reason why I get the floppy disk/question mark when i RESTORE the "9.2.2 Universal Install" or "Mactron rescue cd" to the iBook's partition.
I also tried splitting the iBook into two partitions, but still didn't find a OS 9 driver check box. Google images show that it should be right there with restore or erase.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 11:16:47 AM by CaptainCorndog »

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 01:28:37 PM »
You want to format the disk "Mac OS Extended NO journaling". Then you should see the "Install OS9 drivers" box pop up.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 02:06:03 PM »
You want to format the disk "Mac OS Extended NO journaling". Then you should see the "Install OS9 drivers" box pop up.

Yep... what he said

Offline CaptainCorndog

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 02:56:07 PM »
No difference when I format the partition OR format the entire volume to Mac OS Extended-- with OR without journaling.

Still no check box for drivers. Is there another way to get the drivers loaded? Or something else which might get the check box to show up?

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 03:04:37 PM »
Change partitions number... Volume Scheme... 1 Partition.

There should be now the option to install Mac Os 9 drivers on it.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline CaptainCorndog

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 03:20:23 PM »
Change partitions number... Volume Scheme... 1 Partition.

No change :( See screenshot. No box shows up when choosing Volume scheme/1partition, and no box shows up after executing the Partition command either.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 05:39:13 PM »
No difference when I format the partition OR format the entire volume to Mac OS Extended-- with OR without journaling.

Still no check box for drivers. Is there another way to get the drivers loaded? Or something else which might get the check box to show up?
OS9 drivers are installed at the base of the drive. The option exists ONLY when you ERASE the entire drive. That's the only time it can be reformatted. If you cannot get an "OS9 drivers" option then, I can only guess it has something to do with using FW Target mode. AFAIK, it shouldn't, but I just can't think of a good reason for this not to work.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 06:28:49 PM »
OK... this may be slightly convoluted, but I am thinking this is another way...

STEPS:
--------
1) download this archive to the OS X powerbook G4 and extract to a sub-folder off the root called "Fresh drag Install"
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1859.0.html

2) Burn a CD with "Unsupported G4 OS 9 Install" found G4:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2143.0.html

3) Boot the OSX G4 machine with this CD (Hold C) and with G3 in target mode... reinitialize the G3 Hard drive with OS9 Drive setup, if the G4 HD is visible then drag the fresh install, if not run the unsupported ASR image from the CD and install to the G3 HD directly... let's see if G3 can then boot and you can make a new FW external and drag the "fresh OS 9" files to it, then reboot the G3 via FW and use the supported files

What is the model of the OSX G4 unit ?
If it can boot to our "unsupported G4" CD then I think you can get a workaround, if it boots, you will NOT need to enter any NVRAM commands or alter the G4 in any way, so I thinks it's a safe route

Offline CaptainCorndog

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2021, 11:02:44 AM »
Success!! OS 9!  ;D ;D ;D

DieHard, I followed your instructions.
   • The Powerbook G4 (M8760LL/A A1010 Powerbook6,1 G4 867 12") was able to boot the "Unsupported G4 OS 9 Install" disc.
   • iBook G3 was in firewire target mode, and visible on the G4 via drive setup. It initialized just fine.
   • I ran ASR and pointed it at the iBook drive.
   • It failed once but succeeded the second time!
   • iBook boots into OS 9.2 and appears to be OK

So I have not used anything from the "Fresh drag install" and I don't think I understand if I should be doing another step (Am I running "unsupported" ASR when I should be running "supported"?)

Below photo: G4 screen, while using "unsupported ASR" via FW to the G3

Side note: I'm blown away by the support and helpfulness of the community here. You guys are incredible!  :) :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 11:14:17 AM by CaptainCorndog »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2021, 11:25:28 AM »
So I have not used anything from the "Fresh drag install" and I don't think I understand if I should be doing another step (Am I running "unsupported" ASR when I should be running "supported"?)

It shouldn't be an issue, but the G3 obviously does not need the modified ROM file and other configuration changes from the "unsupported G4 9.2.2"

That being said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, just enjoy :)