Classic Mac Hardware (Troubleshooting, Upgrading, & Modifying) > Mac CPU Upgrades

sonnet 1.33 os9 troubles [no original cpu]

<< < (2/3) > >>

mrhappy:
Ah, they try to sneak it by you with the old 'Double asterisk' trick!! Cleaver!! ;D

perestroika:
i disappeared and never came back! fak.

anyway, i managed to get one of the original cpus for the quicksilver [733mhz] and one of the capacitor mamas is bent. sent a message to the seller but i wonder if can i solder this carefully and would it work ok? i am clueless about how these mamas work, since it doesnt have those long legs that go through the pbc board.

FBz:
Looks like if you’re really careful and gently push that capacitor back down into position (without breaking the other leg off) there might be just enough of that “loose leg” to apply a very small amount of solder to complete the circuit and also then... keep the capacitor back in its’ original position. Might require a small-pointed soldering iron, something to hold the cap firmly in place… and a magnifier (Opti-Visor, etc.) and steady fairly hands.

AND if it won't fit back down in place flat, you might have to bend what appears to be small metal "keepers" on either side of the leg. (See blue arrow.)

As to whether or not the thing will function afterwards, your guess is as good as mine.

But, best of luck! ;)

perestroika:

--- Quote from: FBz on March 14, 2022, 03:49:17 PM ---Looks like if you’re really careful and gently push that capacitor back down into position (without breaking the other leg off) there might be just enough of that “loose leg” to apply a very small amount of solder to complete the circuit and also then... keep the capacitor back in its’ original position. Might require a small-pointed soldering iron, something to hold the cap firmly in place… and a magnifier (Opti-Visor, etc.) and steady fairly hands.

AND if it won't fit back down in place flat, you might have to bend what appears to be small metal "keepers" on either side of the leg. (See blue arrow.)

As to whether or not the thing will function afterwards, your guess is as good as mine.

But, best of luck! ;)

--- End quote ---

better get a new soldering iron, i have one of those that are thick curvy ones, no thin pointy ends. fak.
but here's a funny thing. as i was putting things back, i remembered i once read about someone updating or hacking the apple cpu extension file or whatever it was. so i looked for it and after 30mins or so i found this thread

https://macintoshgarden.org/forum/request-sonnet-updated-cpu-system-file

2nd last post someone linked to the downloads page of the garden, looked for the mentioned zip and downloaded it - then installed os9 on a spare hdd with my other g4 tower, then copied the cpu file thing replacing the original, put hdd on the quicksilver [with the sonnet upgrade] and os9 went straight in. before it would crash and cry about extension errors, or maybe if i managed to boot into os9, it would hang after 10 or 30mins of use. then when restarting it would again cry about extension errors or just hang on boot up. fak. played simcity 2000 for like 20mins, left it running for an hour and no crashes! :O

will wait until seller responds and then i'll see what happens. if homie has a replacement cpu [i dont think so but you never know] ill exchange it. if not, then i'll have to think about soldering and trying and then maybe sendign back. lol.

anyway, thanks for the advice! and everyone else who replied too. i have no soldering skills but managed to fix a usb port once. :D

robespierre:
The SMD electrolytics are a pain to rework because the pins are exposed by such a small stickout. No matter how small and narrow your tip, you will burn the plastic base trying to touch the pin. So you need special techniques like hot air rework with solder preforms. It's a pain to remove them also: very easy to pull the copper pads off the board. It's doable, just a lot harder than it looks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version