Author Topic: G3 B&W!  (Read 10188 times)

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Lightweight / B&W DAW?
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 07:34:24 AM »
Thank YOU teroyk for your very kind words.

I’ll leave your lightweight DAW query to those more qualified to provide that best answer. Perhaps one (sunglass-wearing) individual or others here are infinitely better versed to provide you with the best answer?

In other related news, found a source for (10+) B&W Rev.2 mobos and await news from mopar300m before open posting that source - allowing mopar time to order one if necessary, before letting that cat out of the bag. I installed one and briefly tested it here late last night with very good results.

(I don’t expect stock to last very long - once the source is revealed.) :o

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: G3 B&W!
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 09:42:39 AM »
Thanks FBz for good posts.
My only question is what is most lightweight DAW software for G3 B&W with some 24bit/96khz audio-tracks and some midi-tracks?

Steinberg Cubasis VST Version 2.0 for Mac
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,845.0.html

As far as 24bit/96khz audio-tracks... that is going to depend on your interface and ASIO driver, 24 Bit 44.1 is a much better performance choice and will still yield professional results with a good interface and/or mic. 

CuBasis is a great, solid, and easy to use lightweight DAW, but is more limited in the number of inserts per channel, tracks, and etc.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 03:32:42 PM by DieHard »

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 01:31:26 PM »
My only question is what is most lightweight DAW software for G3 B&W with some 24bit/96khz audio-tracks and some midi-tracks?
Steinberg Cubasis VST Version 2.0 for Mac
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,845.0.html

As far as 24bit/96khz audio-tracks... that is going to depend on your interface and ASIO driver, 24 Bit 16K is a much better choice and will still yield professional results with a good interface and/or mic. 

CuBasis is a great, solid, and easy to use lightweight DAW, but is more limited in the number of inserts per channel, tracks, and etc.

Ahh..I had forget lightweight Cubase, the Cubasis  :-[
I even had Cubasis OEM already one driver CD-ROM.
BTW..that Cubasis OEM program file is 3 hours newer date stamp than that Cubasis VST 2.0, but OEM missing VST instruments-menu and had 80 page shorter document pdf, but it's date stamp is 2 months newer. Both have same system requirements.
Both versions don't have audiotrack-editor, but Steinberg recommented Spark LE 2 in Cubasis readme and if you click audio-track it ask editor program...And I don't think that there is more lightweight sample-editor that support 24bit/96khz or is there?

And yes..there is not many 24khz/96khz interfaces that works with G3 B&W, but there is. And that's true that without good preamp that quality is useless, except if you want capture more noise and add "conversion noise" when downsampling to CD quality.

EDIT: some fixes to help understand my bad english  :-[
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 05:55:22 AM by teroyk »

Offline zefrenchtoon

• Veteran Member
Re: Lightweight / B&W DAW?
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2022, 11:29:54 PM »
In other related news, found a source for (10+) B&W Rev.2 mobos and await news from mopar300m before open posting that source - allowing mopar time to order one if necessary, before letting that cat out of the bag. I installed one and briefly tested it here late last night with very good results.

I was thinking about you when I post this ;)
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,6190.0.html

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
B&W Rev.2 / Errata
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2022, 10:11:57 AM »
Thanks Z for thinking of me!

After viewing your link - thought I might have to add Japanese to the list of languages that I need to learn… but thankfully Kero’s MacMods features English in description. AND mopar300m has received and installed a Yikes mobo in his B&W. Stated that he would also order a B&W Rev.2 mobo today, so we may have a performance comparison between the two, soon.

I’ll now post that Rev.2 mobo link.
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,6191.0.html

AND on the subject of the Yikes ADB port…
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,6190.msg46322.html#msg46322
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 10:26:17 AM by FBz »

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2023, 05:19:40 PM »
Necrobump / Update

Based only upon the Numeric Views and Extended results from QuickBench 2.0
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,6694.msg50994.html#msg50994

Didn’t have, or run the QB 2.0 / 20 - 100 test panel back in 2021:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,6127.msg46159

But it appears that the *Sonnet Tempo ATA 133 PCI card, placed in the B&W’s video slot
(with an Inland SSD & StarTech adapter connected) smokes the SATA Controller card.

Of course this is only possible* in the B&W as explained above. AND the Sonnet PCI cards are
now likely much more expensive than the newly converted SiL3112 Controller cards will be.
And still, SATA Controller cards double the performance over a SATA adapter bridge alone.

*Note:
“The only G4 that can do the same trick is the Yikes which is a G3 with a G4 in it and without ADB.”
                                                                                                                                      - zefrenchtoon

Had to go back and compare. Thanks again zefrenchtoon!

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Regressive B&W / OS 8.51
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2023, 01:52:11 PM »
Seems that I just cannot get away from the B&Ws and find that maybe I should create a poll - just to see how many B&Ws are actually in use by our Forum members? I have been “tandem testing” with V.Yakob lately (w/ SiL3112 & Sonnet Tempo PCI ATA 133 in Rev.2’s) as well as other recent tests, previously… with mustagcoupe and Rev.1 B&Ws.

Poll located here: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,6767.msg51642.html#new

SO here’s the latest adventure, in tandem with V.Yakob:

After a great deal of time & effort, I finally burned a copy of OS 8.51 Installer with an MDD last night. Then with the 450 MHz B&W, I attempted first to install it on the 250 GB Hitachi HDD (“SPACE” partition)… while the SiL3112 and the Sonnet Tempo were are still connected and inside the machine. It would not boot from the OS 8.51 installer CD.

SO I removed the SiL3112, the Sonnet Tempo AND the Radeon 9200 LE video card. I also removed all of the SSDs from the machine and then I reinstalled the ATi Rage 128. So, nothing out of the “ordinary basics” left in the machine AND all changed back to nearly original hardware configuration.

The new OS 8.51 Installer CD then did boot.

Contents of that OS 8.51 Installer CD - as viewed on this newer iMac. And yes, it is Drive Setup version 1.7.

The Installer recognized the Hitachi 250 GB HDD but would not allow me to install on the SPACE partition, citing that it was not appropriate (or a recognized) format. I had to reinitialize the Hitachi with Drive Setup 1.7 (from the OS 8.51 Installer) as it also reported the Hitachi’s OS 9 partition as unusable. It would allow me to 2-partition the Hitachi if I chose to, but I opted to single partition it to possibly eliminate any more complications with the installation. Afterwards, it reported the Hitachi as being only 130 GBs or so. (Even as it was actually a 250 GB HDD.)

Then I was able to install OS 8.51. [I did get a warning that I needed a driver for my USB Extended keyboard, but that posed no problem with operation after the successful installation.] Funny to see OS 8.5 on the B&W after so much time not using 8.5 - and the machine now seemed very quick and responsive with OS 8.51.

And now I am trying to think of a way that I can have both OS 8.51 and OS 9.2 on the same drive (on two separate partitions)… while also having the Hitachi recognized as it’s full 250 GB? And I’ve yet to think of any solution for that.

Maybe the best solution is to use a much smaller HDD (128 GB or smaller) devoted only to OS 8.51, as a Master on the cable - with OS 9.2 (and Tiger) on a separate SSD / HDD, dual partitioned and jumpered as a Slave on the Ultra ATA connection. This way, the OS 8.5 drive can be swapped in and out when desired.

I think that using Drive Setup 1.9.2 would only yield the same 130 GB (or so) recognized size of the 250 GB drive (but OS 8.51 does not recognize that format?). AND we already know that Drive Setup 2.1 yields better performance - but it is not recognized either by Drive Setup 1.7 on the 8.51 Installer. SO, perhaps it is best to dedicate OS 8.51 to its’ own smaller drive, that can then be used when and if we might like.

I will look for a smaller drive here, for this small, single drive purpose AND return the Hitachi 250 GB drive to its’ previous state so that I can return to testing the B&W as it was configured before (with the SiL3112 and the Sonnet Tempo).

[Hitachi HDD used in this test was with a Bribge attached and its’ jumper set to Master.]

This is similar to what things looked like prior to the return to basics…

Testing is never pretty. ;)

Addendum: Oh, and this image also might help to illustrate just how this B&W was before the return to basics...

« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 02:14:29 PM by FBz »