Author Topic: iBook (early 2003) restore CD Mac OS 9.2.2 (Swedish) issues  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Oskarius

• Valued Member
iBook (early 2003) restore CD Mac OS 9.2.2 (Swedish) issues
« on: November 06, 2021, 06:12:16 AM »
Hi,

I just got an iBook G3 800 Mhz (early 2003) in pretty decent condition. Now I want to install Mac OS 9.2.2 (in Swedish) and I’ve been trying to use different restore CDs I found on Mac Garden and Macintosh Repository (and even some original restore CDs I found laying around), but without success. What happens is that when I launch the installer (running Tiger), at first everything’s fine and the installation starts, but then the installer tells me to insert CD no. 1 to continue, but that’s the CD I start from (where the installer is). So that’s strange. I’ve tried inserting the other CDs as well, but that doesn’t work, it’s as though the CDs aren’t recognized by the installer (even though they appear on the desktop). I’ve tried this both by mounting the disk images and burning them unto CDs with Toast, all with the same result.

Am I missing something here, or am I doing something wrong? Do you guys have any ideas? Perhaps I’d have to run the original OS X version (10.2.4) for the iBook, instead of Tiger, in order for the restore to work. Would that make sense?

The disks I’ve tried are these:
https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/ibook-g3-early-2003-software-media-set-mac-os-v922-mac-os-x1024 (Early 2003 in English)
And these:
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/16937-mac-os-x-10-2-1-s1-9-2-2-swedish-ibook-late-2002- (which is the wrong version I know (late 2002) but it’s in my native language Swedish so this is the one I really wish would work. According everymac the late 2002 and early 2003 have the same specs and the same model name PowerBook4,3, which is why I'm thinking this should work)

Another approach I tried was installing a retail version of Mac OS 9.2.1 in Swedish and updating it to 9.2.2, but that turned out buggy, no sleep mode, graphics problems and some other minor issues. Do you guys have any ideas of what I could try next?

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: iBook (early 2003) restore CD Mac OS 9.2.2 (Swedish) issues
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 09:37:16 AM »
From images there:

Disc 2 of “Swedish Software Restore” discs from Mac Repository appears to be English and possibly not the necessary 2nd disc of that set… while the other two “Install Discs” appear to be English versions (with sequential ID numbers: 2Z691-4178-A and 2Z691-4179-A.)

Swedish “Restore” discs are: 5691-4001-A and 2Z691-4124-A / and possibly not from the same disc set.

Mac Gardens’ discs from your link all seem to be English and comments there note some questions about their numeric sequence being correct.

Might try using the 9.2.2 Universal installer here… reformat and two-partition your HD with that installer AND then after installing OS 9.2.2 on the 1st partition… install Tiger 10.4 on the 2nd. Tiger installer usually provides initial language setup choice, on it’s very first screen. This is how I installed same here on this 800MHz G3 iBook (sans Swedish aspect).

Afterwards perhaps, you can go through the process of converting OS 9.2.2 to Swedish?

OR, try this for 9.2.2… https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-s1-922-powermac-g4-mdd-swedish (read notes).

Offline Oskarius

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 09:59:07 AM »
Thanks man! I didn’t see that, yeah it does look like they’re from different sets of disc! Must be the reason they’re not recognized by the installer. I still find it a little strange that the installer asks me to insert the disc which is already inserted, but you’re probably right :)

I did some tinkering with the Swedish retail install, swapped the graphics drivers for the ones on the macos9lives universal install (which by the way seems to run flawlessly albeit it being in English) and after that it seems to run better, but still no sleep mode. Any ideas of how to fix sleep mode? I tried looking through all the extensions, but it seems that’s not it. If I knew what controls sleep mode perhaps I could grab that too from the macos9lives system?

Converting OS 9.2.2 to Swedish sounds difficult :D  how would one go about doing that? With ResEdit perhaps?

I tried the MDD 9.2.2 Swedish one too (I’m using that one on my MDD, works great there  :) ), but on the iBook it has the same bugs as the retail version (graphics and no sleep).

Again, thanks for helping me out!

Offline Oskarius

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 05:17:38 AM »
I found a solution! :D

I had no idea, but I learned that the OS can be extracted from the restore CD. You just use an app like Pacifist, with which you can browse the hidden content of the disc and extract a disc image called OS9General.dmg and just make a drag and drop install onto your hard drive. And it seems to work flawlessly on my iBook :D Just thought I would share it here if anyone's interested :)

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 05:44:34 AM »
CONGRATS! 8)