Author Topic: Smartphones  (Read 3739 times)

Offline Rosetta

• Valued Member
Smartphones
« on: October 18, 2021, 08:45:26 PM »
Needless to say, if you're on a forum like this, you likely have a different relationship with your computer (and computing in general) than most people. All this time we spend squeezing ever more out of our big, loud, heavy, hot machines and their outdated (although certainly not useless) software... some people are even using their ancient Macs as their daily driver workstations today. It's quite remarkable.

I've participated in mini-discussions on here before about the ills of Web 2.0+, social media, internet privacy, tracking, etc., particularly when it comes to efficiently accessing this world on our older, slower computers. But what's really gotten our current online state of affairs (and all of its associated baggage) going is the smartphone.

I wonder, as devotees of a long-gone and seemingly forgotten era of computing, what is everyone here's relationship with the smartphone? Has anyone never had one? Or switched from smartphone to dumbphone?

And finally, as vintage computing enthusiasts, is the proliferation of the smartphone something to be lamented or lauded?

I'll withhold my own thoughts for now. Curious to hear what everyone has to say.
Power Mac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz / TASCAM FW-1804

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
Re: Smartphones
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 10:00:17 PM »
Interesting topic!

I do use a smartphone, but it feels like it plays in a different league. I perceive it more like a communications tool. My Macs, however, are my creative tools. Here I code, design, create.

So in a way, the combination of a smartphone + Mac OS fits together. I have no need for a (W)intel box on my desk because the "modern services" I may need can be accessed from my mobile. For the rest, I do have Mac OS.
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 04:19:46 AM »
I have used smartphones before Mac OS 9.2.2 was released  ;). It was Nokia 9110i...was there any another smartphones that time?

When I saw first iPhone...I said how stupidphone, no keyboard, no memory card slot, no even multitasking...that time I had Nokia 9500.

When I saw iPhone 4...how stupidphone, no keyboard, no memory card slot, can only install programs from AppStore...that time I had Nokia N950.

And still I don't use Apples phones or Android Phones...actually I have one second hand Android phone, but never used yet, but don't accept Googles privacy terms,
so I will install Meamo Leste OS to it before I start use it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 04:35:07 AM by teroyk »

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 06:47:05 AM »
Out of interest - what is Meamo Leste OS?
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 09:19:25 AM »
Out of interest - what is Meamo Leste OS?

Open source phone operating system, based in older Maemo OS (OS in Nokia N810/N900) and Debian Linux.
Btw..when it is ready, it should run also Mac emulators, older Maemo OS run Basilisk II already  ;)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 10:30:42 AM »
I'll withhold my own thoughts for now. Curious to hear what everyone has to say.

i am impressed what they can do and there is the one or other thing about it which is positive, but i dont use one, and i never owned things whose name begin with iSomething.

i have a $25 smartphone for making photos (which i dont get to work) and i have 2 $25 cellphones without touchscreen, which i use to well, call people by phone, one for private and one for politics. they are  around 10 years old now.

when sitting in public transportation i prefer to look at people, the enviroment or sleep.

there are 14 computers in my music room and when i leave house this is at the same time always an escape from the virtual world.

i also dont have cars anymore and i dont buy my potion of icecream with crypto currencies.
insert arbitrary signature here

Online ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 03:09:35 AM »
I don't have one.
Have tried them occasionally at work, but found them rather annoying to use. I don't think I'm compatible with touch screens, as didn't enjoy trying a tablet either.

Offline lepidotos

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 01:38:03 AM »
I use mine to supplement my Macs, e.g. taking the burden of YouTube off them. Anything I absolutely can't do on a Mac, even one running 10.5.9, or in a situation where even a laptop is a little too inconvenient, does end up being done on my phone. I really want to root mine and install /e/, but I hate it anyway and am looking to upgrade to an LG V20.
The Pinephone looks pretty interesting, I might give it a shot when the V20 starts to seem a little long in the tooth.