Author Topic: External SCSI CD-rom on OS9 (and OS7)  (Read 3556 times)

Offline Overmann

• 68k enthusiast
External SCSI CD-rom on OS9 (and OS7)
« on: October 12, 2021, 09:52:59 AM »
Hi,

I'm not an experienced classic Apple user, and I'm at a bit of a loss here so I hope someone can help. I've tried searching around but I've not been able to find an answer.

I have recently acquired a Quadra 700 (which lacks a CD-rom) and I was hoping to use my external yamaha crw8824s with it. I don't have the quadra yet but I'm having a hard enough time getting the drive recogniced by OS9. I've been trying the drive on my Performa 6360 which has os 9.1 installed, but while 'System Profiler' sees the drive at SCSI #5 and even sees that 'Marathon trilogy' is inserted it reports that driver is 'not available' and SCSI probe is unable to mount the drive. I know the Quadra won't be running OS9, but I'm hoping that if I can get the drive going in OS9 I might be able to get it working in OS7.

I'm used to SCSI-drives just working, but I assume Apple has something funny going on in their drivers preventing the usage of third-party devices? I've read that a MAC won't be able to boot from a third party drive even if I should be lucky enough to get it working in the OS. Is it really that difficult? I'm thinking the problem is that I just have no idea how macs from this period works and that there is some simple solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I suppose I could buy an external Apple drive from ebay, but those things cost almost as much as my Quadra 700, and MORE then I payed for my Performa a couple of years ago.. :/

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
Re: External SCSI CD-rom on OS9 (and OS7)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 12:17:12 PM »
The Apple CD/DVD driver doesn't work with some drives.

FWB had a CDROM TOOLKIT that had a drive that got most SCSI drives working,

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/24336-fwb-cd-rom-toolkit-2-x

Tho I did find that if you insert a Mac OS Install CD at boot time it would load the CD/DVDROM driver from the partition map of the CD, making the drive work, then you could just eject the OS Install CD and insert whatever CD you wanted to mount.

There is a hidden Keyboard combination that use to work on old world Macs for forced booting of external SCSI drives, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 05:21:45 PM »
CMD-OPT-SHIFT-DELETE to force boot an external CD.

Offline Overmann

• 68k enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 11:43:06 PM »
Great! Thank you dartnVader! I'll give that a try.
If I find I still have trouble with this drive I suppose I could take the CD-rom out of my performa and put that in the external case? Do you think that would work with older drivers as well, so that I might use it with my MAC/SE to move files over, or would I need a period correct drive to go with the System6 driver?

Offline Overmann

• 68k enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 10:09:24 AM »
CMD-OPT-SHIFT-DELETE to force boot an external CD.

This doesn't work ffor me. I was unable to get any of my machines to recognize the Yamaha drive so I took the CD-rom out of my performa and put that in the external cabinet. Now I get the drive working with stock drivers, but I'm still unable to boot from the drive. I've tried both original System CD's and burnt CD's. All are working when in the preinstalled OS, but I can't seem to find a key-combo that works to let me boot from the CD. :/