Author Topic: SCSI controller not recognized though working before  (Read 2219 times)

Offline AndreA1085

• Newcomer
SCSI controller not recognized though working before
« on: September 27, 2021, 02:26:20 AM »
Hi there,
I'm all new to the whole Mac world.
I bought a 1.25GHZ MDD without HDD and coming from Windows i had quite a hard time getting that old beast going.
But finally managed to install 9.2.2 on a SSD (IDE Adapter).
I need the Mac for an old SCSI film scanner. The Maccame with an Acard 6712tsm SCSI Adapter and i finally found a driver on macrepo. Installed, worked fine, all good.
Now after a few days the card doesn't take the extension (driver) any more. System profiler shows only there is a pci card in that slot present, but neither the card type nor the card rom is available. Vendor ID, revision etc... is showing tho.
So what i did so far is a pmu reset, changing the pci slot from 3 to 5 and re-installing the driver, without success.
Any thoughts?

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: SCSI controller not recognized
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 08:15:59 AM »
Close visual inspect the Acard for bad (puffed or leaking) capacitors or other possible failure(s) in all its’ onboard circuitry.

No changes with the scanner? Still powers up okay? No changes with it’s SCSI ID and it is properly terminated?

MDD functions fine otherwise with the card removed? And no other recent additions or changes (hardware, software, etc.) since the Acard and scanner were working?

Tried testing with another SCSI device (other than the scanner) to check function of the card?

Offline AndreA1085

• Newcomer
Re: SCSI controller not recognized though working before
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 08:25:09 AM »
Thanks for your answer.

Well the problem is the card is no longer recognized. Or better: it is recognized to be sitting in the pci slot but it doesnt accept the driver. To me this is a problem Independent to the devices attached or not attached. The scanners are working fine in Win10.
The card itself looks good. No cap leakage, can't say anything about ESR.

Offline chrisNova777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 01:20:34 AM »
these types of errors really frustrating to deal with;

http://atcomputer.vn/card-scsi-aec-6712tsm.html
heres a photo of the card looks similar to the one i have

is the card exactly as shown? do the notches in the pci conector differ at all?

Offline AndreA1085

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 02:15:07 PM »
Problem solved! It was the SCSI cable.
Kind of misleading that OS9 shows the Acard as unknown device although it's correctly installed. I must have broken the cable while opening and closing the Mac. That explains why it initially worked.
Thanks for your help!