Author Topic: QuickSilver 733MHz runs 10.4 classic os 9.2.2 faster than 9.2.2  (Read 3412 times)

Offline SevenLayerBeanDip

• Newcomer
QuickSilver 733MHz runs 10.4 classic os 9.2.2 faster than 9.2.2
« on: September 04, 2021, 05:38:33 PM »
I have a 733MHz quicksilver running OS 9.2.2 (OS 9 Lives fresh install) which I installed first and then installed OS 10.4. For some reason every game, be it sim city classic 2005 or JumpStart 2nd grade, all run without lag within OS 10.4 classic. I have the correct colors and run low resolutions in both OS environments but for some reason the OS file system and gameplay in OS 9.2.2 are slow. What I mean is that 3d gameplay can lag when presenting. SimCity 1996 music was lagging and this was off of the hdd, not via disc.

I removed the extensions that are not useful as per the stickied guide. Virtual memory is off. The hdd is formatted to HFS+ and is partitioned to 80GB. It is a newish mechicanial SATA connected with a SATA to IDE adapter.

Is there anything that I should be checking or running for my troubleshooting?

specs are all base and located here:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/specs/powermac_g4_733_qs.html#macspecs1

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: QuickSilver 733MHz runs 10.4 classic os 9.2.2 faster than 9.2.2
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 07:13:27 PM »
no idea if something is wrong with your OS boot system, but normally OS9 should be faster than classic mode.

however, some games would perform better in OSX and others perform better in OS9. warcraft is terrible in OS9.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 05:52:04 AM by IIO »
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 07:47:47 PM »
Are ya booting OS 10.4 and then running OS 9 under “Classic”?
Did you dual partition that HD and install OS 9 on one and 10.4 on the other?
If so, are you booting into OS 9 and then trying to run a game resident on the 10.4 partition?

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 08:48:50 PM »
Are ya booting OS 10.4 and then running OS 9 under “Classic”?
Did you dual partition that HD and install OS 9 on one and 10.4 on the other?
If so, are you booting into OS 9 and then trying to run a game resident on the 10.4 partition?

I am booting os 9.2.2. I can choose to restart and boot in 10.4 if I wish. Seems like both os systems are installed to the same partition. I am trying to run the games on os 9.2.2. Sim city 2000, jumpstart 1st grade, 2nd grade, kidpix studio are some of the games that would hitch and lag in use.

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: QuickSilver 733MHz dual-boot
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 10:04:08 PM »
Well then, if you choose to… you might want to start from scratch and boot your OS 9.2.2 installer AND THEN dual-partition your HD in two equal partitions using either Drive Setup 1.9.2 OR Drive Setup 2.1 (sometimes both are located in the “Apple Extras” folder under “Applications” folder on the 9.2.2 installer disk). Then with either of them open, look for “Custom Setup” after choosing your HD and clicking initialize… which is then where / when you’ll then define the partitions before actually initializing and partitioning the HD. THEN install OS 9.2.2 and set it up after a reboot… AND THEN shut down and go on to reboot to then install OS 10.4 on the second partition.

The object here is to segregate OS 9 and OS X on two different partitions, along with whatever apps, games or other software that belongs to each OS specifically, so that they do not mix.

The problems you were having were most likely because you were running OS 9 in “Classic” mode under OS 10.4. or you were simply having conflicts between the two. With the above outlined approach, if you want to run something under OS 9, you boot into OS 9 and you’ll find that it performs much better this way.

AND whatever you do, if you attempt to open something under 10.4 and “Classic” begins to start up… cancel it.  In fact, under System Preferences in 10.4 - click on “Classic” and check “Warn before starting Classic”.

You’ll find numerous references ‘round here warning against sharing files and apps between two operating systems especially on the same “partition” - as it leads to file corruption and nefarious B-Tree errors. Not to mention huge overall performance slow down.

When Apple first introduced OS X, they insisted that it was okay to install it right alongside / on top of... OS 9 on the same un-partitioned HD. Ask around here as to how many countless hours some of us lost initially as a result of all the crashes, freezes and file corruption from that initial, non-wonderful directive.

Sure, the above dual-partition approach will take some time for you to complete (again) but will save you time and headaches, until you understand and get the hang of it.

Have fun. ;)

*I like Drive Setup 2.1 / but 1.9.2 works too. Depends on which 9.2.2 installer you downloaded, as to whether or not both are present. I use 1.9.2 to format external FireWire drives.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 05:54:37 AM »
another question would be how much RAM do you have. games and programming languages sometimes load 10,000 files into RAM and eventually move them around, and OS9 tends to get slower when the RAM is heavily fragmented.

though "sim city" sounds to me like something which should run on a 7100 without gpu.

• Newcomer
Re: QuickSilver 733MHz dual-boot
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 06:24:57 AM »
Well then, if you choose to… you might want to start from scratch and boot your OS 9.2.2 installer AND THEN dual-partition your HD in two equal partitions using either Drive Setup 1.9.2 OR Drive Setup 2.1 (sometimes both are located in the “Apple Extras” folder under “Applications” folder on the 9.2.2 installer disk). Then with either of them open, look for “Custom Setup” after choosing your HD and clicking initialize… which is then where / when you’ll then define the partitions before actually initializing and partitioning the HD. THEN install OS 9.2.2 and set it up after a reboot… AND THEN shut down and go on to reboot to then install OS 10.4 on the second partition.

The object here is to segregate OS 9 and OS X on two different partitions, along with whatever apps, games or other software that belongs to each OS specifically, so that they do not mix.

The problems you were having were most likely because you were running OS 9 in “Classic” mode under OS 10.4. or you were simply having conflicts between the two. With the above outlined approach, if you want to run something under OS 9, you boot into OS 9 and you’ll find that it performs much better this way.

AND whatever you do, if you attempt to open something under 10.4 and “Classic” begins to start up… cancel it.  In fact, under System Preferences in 10.4 - click on “Classic” and check “Warn before starting Classic”.

You’ll find numerous references ‘round here warning against sharing files and apps between two operating systems especially on the same “partition” - as it leads to file corruption and nefarious B-Tree errors. Not to mention huge overall performance slow down.

When Apple first introduced OS X, they insisted that it was okay to install it right alongside / on top of... OS 9 on the same un-partitioned HD. Ask around here as to how many countless hours some of us lost initially as a result of all the crashes, freezes and file corruption from that initial, non-wonderful directive.

Sure, the above dual-partition approach will take some time for you to complete (again) but will save you time and headaches, until you understand and get the hang of it.

Have fun. ;)

*I like Drive Setup 2.1 / but 1.9.2 works too. Depends on which 9.2.2 installer you downloaded, as to whether or not both are present. I use 1.9.2 to format external FireWire drives.

Ah hah! The vintage Mac subreddit was saying both os 10.4 and os 9 can exist on the same partition but this makes sense to keep them separate. I’m going to grab a 120GB sata ssd to plug in to the ide adapter and partition it in half then using drive setup. Thank you this seems to be the Avenue that should eliminate the slowness from os 9

another question would be how much RAM do you have. games and programming languages sometimes load 10,000 files into RAM and eventually move them around, and OS9 tends to get slower when the RAM is heavily fragmented.

though "sim city" sounds to me like something which should run on a 7100 without gpu.

1GB of Ram inside which made memory Seem like not a focus for point of issue

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: QuickSilver 733MHz
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 08:04:22 AM »
With current low RAM prices / easy enough to also max-out the RAM.
(‘Specially considering your QS 733 MHz CPU.)

AND also review / heed the following:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=4904.msg35697#msg35697

Thanks to IIO, GaryN and DieHard. ;)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 09:07:13 AM »
i see no problem having both on the same partition, but it is a bad idea to use the same system folder for OS9 boot and classic enviroment.

but this is a from the perspective of someone who generally turns off spotlight as well as journalling on all his OSX HDs.

• Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2021, 05:57:09 PM »
Thank you both for your help. I setup an install with just os 9.2.2 and put it on a decent IOPS ssd and now my gameplay and general navigating is very responsive.