Author Topic: G4 MDD (FW400) upgrades  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Troika

• Valued Member
G4 MDD (FW400) upgrades
« on: September 01, 2021, 07:50:42 AM »
I want to get some upgrades for my MDD once I get back up and running. I already ordered ram, a pretty slick 4x512MB kit of Corsair ram with silver heatspreaders and a Geforce4 Ti 4600 I managed to haggle down to $80. I know I want to get some extra usb ports and maybe an audio card compatible with 5.1 surround sound. I'd like to get a Sata host card too but if I can't find a compatible one or if they're unreasonably expensive, I can get by with a ide to sata adapter I already have. It worked fine for my ps2 so it might work for a mac. I also want to make my boot disk a SSD, 240GB should be plenty so I can make a 40GB partition for OS 9 then split the rest between OS X Tiger and one for Linux to mess around with. I also have an old 40GB disk from my eMac I can use as shared storage and if I got a dock for it, I could just use a regular sata drive externally.

Are there any brands I should keep away from that don't support macs at all? Or is there just a narrow list of aftermarket parts that work that everyone typically chooses from? I want everything to be compatible with OS 9 as well as OS X/Linux. That's probably a big ask. Stuff like usb 2.0 didn't really exist in during OS 9's life so I doubt I'd get the speeds but as long as the ports function at 1.0 or 1.1 speeds, that's fine with me.