Author Topic: Case and PSU upgrades  (Read 2922 times)

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Case and PSU upgrades
« on: August 30, 2021, 06:55:32 AM »
One thing I've never seen discussed (and maybe I just never looked hard enough?) is PSU and case upgrades for the G4 line of macs.
I know that PC PSU's have been moded to work with the G4's, but you loose the ability to provide appropriate power to the ADC port to drive one of the ADC displays.  So was there ever any third party PSU's made specifically for the G4's that provided additional power and additional cabling for drives without resorting to goofy Y splitters?
In addition what about case upgrades that would allow some to install more drives.  The G4 cases (as much as I love them) really do have a limited amount of space for installing drives.  One being space and two being the power connectors.  So was there ever made a 3rd party case you could move your G4 motherboard into?

Now let me give the context of these questions.  Keep in mind I realize from there is no practical basis for what I am doing, but I think if you look at my history of posts here, practical is never a thing with me.  So among my collection here I want to take one of my 450 MHZ G4 and put it in a case where I will be able to install 7 drives and retain the original optical drive as well. I assume I will need to upgrade the PSU somehow to support all the drives (though if those PSU's are up to the task then please provide that feedback as it would make it easier).

I'd prefer a ready made solution here as right now I just don't have time to mess with building a custom case or custom fitting all this into some sort of case that would need to be modified to make this all fit, though if that is the solution that is a possibility.

Now that I think about it, didn't Marathon make a rack case for G4's that you could put your logic board in? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Case and PSU upgrades
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 09:24:40 AM »
Now that I think about it, didn't Marathon make a rack case for G4's that you could put your logic board in? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Yes, They did do entire cases...

but they are more known for the metal rack mount brackets that attach to the G3/G4 tower (where the handles are) that make the entire tower "rackable" in a standard 19" rack.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 09:45:02 AM »
Really just trying to find a way to possibly install an absurd amount of disks in one machine.
Maybe I'll hunt around for one of the cases.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 11:36:56 AM »
You need to find one of these and FireWire will do the rest...:
OWC Mercury Rack Pro

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/RPM3F8Q06.0T/

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 11:41:39 AM »
Really just trying to find a way to possibly install an absurd amount of disks in one machine.

an MDD with 3 4-port SATA cards can hold 16 internal disks, which means 16x2TB for safe.

as soon we can confirm the "block size trick" it is easily 16x16TB - and when you win the lottery jackpot you can use 16x50 or 16x100TB (they are extremly expensive, no consumer version available)

of course you can also use the 2 optical interfaces - you need the space anyway to put the SSDs somewhere - then you already have 18.

in my quicksilver i have 5 internal and 18 external disks... strongly releated to practice. ;)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 01:04:10 PM »
You're thinking too practical here.

The OWC looks interesting, but limited to 4 drives.

an MDD with 3 4-port SATA cards can hold 16 internal disks, which means 16x2TB for safe.

as soon we can confirm the "block size trick" it is easily 16x16TB - and when you win the lottery jackpot you can use 16x50 or 16x100TB (they are extremly expensive, no consumer version available)

of course you can also use the 2 optical interfaces - you need the space anyway to put the SSDs somewhere - then you already have 18.

in my quicksilver i have 5 internal and 18 external disks... strongly releated to practice. ;)

I take it these aren't 3.5" drives you are recommending?
Plus I don't want to take up that many PCI slots.  I have a SCSI controller that I can slap 6 discs on and I happen to have 6 discs that work with it.
The thought of shoving them all on a G4 amused me.

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2021, 01:36:35 PM »
If you’re talking about (7) old, conventional style, spinner HD’s… consider the resultant heat generated (liquid hot magma) and an increased number of fans for airflow (if all housed in one case). Well we can forget about “Wind Tunnel” - it’ll be more like a frikken “Hurricane.” (CAT 7)

Are you building the next “SUPER Mars Rover”?
What IS the ambient temperature on Mars?

https://mars.nasa.gov/mer/mission/rover/temperature/

And as for a PSU… maybe a re-wired 400 Watter from a 1.42 GHz MDD? You could possibly still keep your Apple ADC connector… but total increased power requirements for that many conventional drives - who knows?

*A 450 MHz G4 CPU is bound to require less power than a 1.42 GHz / which could free up some power. What’s the 450 MHz G4 PSU rated?

Think we need just a little mo’ info Nano.

*Leave it to Nano. So very quiet all this time and then he springs this.
 (I am laughing - but imagination piqued.)
 And “absurd” and “amused’ seem mild. ;)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 02:22:23 PM »
so you want to place as much drives as possible into a sawtooth but only theoretical yet it must work?

in practice sawtooths, quicksilvers and MDDs are limited to 5 3,5" drives then, where in an MDD you dont even need a PCI card to connect these 5.

and be lucky that you have a sawtooth, in an MDD it is already terrible to place the 4 drives in their dedicated slots, which is the only place to put them, and which requires the smallest possible kinked SATA adapter cables in the case of SATA converters.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 02:40:11 PM »
I'll just re-iterate that this not practical at all so don't take it too serious.
The question relates to knowing if third party cases where ever made.  That part of the question is posed because I realize that much spinning rust needs more cooling. So the new case is to A. accommodate all the disks and B. allow for good cooling and additional fans.  Noise be damned in this one. 
Then the question comes if there were also third party power supplies ever?
I don't want to use the original G4 case.

so you want to place as much drives as possible into a sawtooth but only theoretical yet it must work?
Don't want to place them in the case, want to know if a case existed that would allow this as I can already make this work using a separate AT PSU I have and a bunch of drives hanging out of the case.  It amused me for a few minutes.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 05:18:52 AM »
but the idea is totally legit: racked and then put every previous "external" right gear inside. also the ideal moment when to add a PCI extension rack.

if i ever find affordable 4 meter long VGA cables i will do exatcly that to my QS.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 07:00:09 AM »
but the idea is totally legit: racked and then put every previous "external" right gear inside. also the ideal moment when to add a PCI extension rack.

if i ever find affordable 4 meter long VGA cables i will do exatcly that to my QS.

How many VGA cables you need?

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2021, 08:51:55 AM »
As long as we’re spitballin’ here…

With all the intended internal bits collected in a pile:

Think I’d probably build an initial, mock-up case out of 1/8” masonite (wood fibreboard) and wood (internal framework) first - just to get everything inside before… later, possibly fabricating an aluminum case for it all.

(Too much greasy, dirty mechanic work ‘round here lately and I’d really like to get back to making some sawdust!)

AND why not two internal PSU’s? One for the MOBO and all the original 450 MHz G4 “stuff” and a smaller AT(X) PSU (5 volts & 12 volts, right?) to independently power all those HD’s and their necessary fan(s). All packed neatly inside the mock-up.

Two “On” switches… HD’s and fans first, then the MOBO.

Masonite is so easy to work with… you can score and cut it with a razor knife and it drills so easy. A friend of mine built several 20” x 24” (and smaller) commercial graphics cameras almost completely out of masonite. And with an internal, wooden skeleton framework… all outer panels can be removed and replaced as the build progresses to allow for any changes in the internal layout for fan venting, design changes, etc..

Push comes to shove… one could always coat the final masonite case with truck bed liner and simply call it the “Dark Tower” or “Ahab”.

Sorry Nano, you sought an existing case. (Google, tons available 4-ever.)

*From a brief search today, looks like Marathon was around up until 2001 or so before being acquired and then… ceasing production of those PowerRack G Series cases. Now unobtainium / hen’s teeth.

AND IIO, again… how many VGA cables do you need? And would they be VGA / VGA or VGA / DVI? Fairly plentiful around here, $20 and under. Does it have to be 4 meters long exactly? I’ve a 20 foot Belden VGA / VGA I’m not using - but probably cost more to send it to you than you could find it priced locally?

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2021, 09:28:32 AM »
As long as we’re spitballin’ here…

With all the intended internal bits collected in a pile:

Think I’d probably build an initial, mock-up case out of 1/8” masonite (wood fibreboard) and wood (internal framework) first - just to get everything inside before… later, possibly fabricating an aluminum case for it all.

(Too much greasy, dirty mechanic work ‘round here lately and I’d really like to get back to making some sawdust!)

AND why not two internal PSU’s? One for the MOBO and all the original 450 MHz G4 “stuff” and a smaller AT(X) PSU (5 volts & 12 volts, right?) to independently power all those HD’s and their necessary fan(s). All packed neatly inside the mock-up.

Two “On” switches… HD’s and fans first, then the MOBO.

Masonite is so easy to work with… you can score and cut it with a razor knife and it drills so easy. A friend of mine built several 20” x 24” (and smaller) commercial graphics cameras almost completely out of masonite. And with an internal, wooden skeleton framework… all outer panels can be removed and replaced as the build progresses to allow for any changes in the internal layout for fan venting, design changes, etc..

Push comes to shove… one could always coat the final masonite case with truck bed liner and simply call it the “Dark Tower” or “Ahab”.

Sorry Nano, you sought an existing case. (Google, tons available 4-ever.)

*From a brief search today, looks like Marathon was around up until 2001 or so before being acquired and then… ceasing production of those PowerRack G Series cases. Now unobtainium / hen’s teeth.

AND IIO, again… how many VGA cables do you need? And would they be VGA / VGA or VGA / DVI? Fairly plentiful around here, $20 and under. Does it have to be 4 meters long exactly? I’ve a 20 foot Belden VGA / VGA I’m not using - but probably cost more to send it to you than you could find it priced locally?

Of course there are lots of cases available, but none that would readily accept the G4 mobo without modification.

I was actually thinking of doing a two PSU, but using one single switch.   
I'm thinking custom route is the way I will be heading. Not sure why I am so hell bent on stupid shit like this.  It really isn't practical.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2021, 10:28:35 AM »
How many VGA cables you need?

2 and 1x DVI-A.

i´ve tried some for 45 euros which were not qualified for WUXGA and made a terrible picture.

cables qualified for WUXGA start at 90 euros. which is in a range where you could almost run a signal booster and an extension cables. :)

so since many years my main mac sits on the table instead of in a rack on the floor. officially there is no space on this table and of course it is also louder. plus i can hardly open it there, and pulling it out of the table situation is like 15 minutes work.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 10:41:13 AM by IIO »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2021, 10:35:00 AM »

Of course there are lots of cases available, but none that would readily accept the G4 mobo without modification.

i was always wondering if i should put mine in a case, because i am not firm enough when it comes to electronics stuff.

how would you mount the metal board to a case? does it have to be isolated from the enclosure? or does it have to be in touch with it in order to be grounded? and what about the PSU? i am clueless about these things.

airflow is easier, at least for a SP with SSDs and when you dont play games it is not an issue.

there are 8 HU rack cases though. enough to fit 2 front-accessible optical drives right under it.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2021, 10:55:15 AM »
One for the MOBO and all the original 450 MHz G4 “stuff” and a smaller AT(X) PSU (5 volts & 12 volts, right?)

right, +5V and +12V is the least problem, you can just use anything else.

(otoh - for my SSD proposal - you can definetely connect 10 SSDs to an apple desktops´ PSU 12 volt cable. i think the quicksilver has as least 25 watts. according to the labelling on the PSU only the 3.3. has an individual maximum power.)