Classic Mac Hardware (Troubleshooting, Upgrading, & Modifying) > Video Cards, Monitors, & Displays

Radeon All in Wonder (2021 thread edition)

(1/2) > >>

lepidotos:
AIWs can be vastly cheaper than normal 8500s or 8500 LEs, competitive with 9200s. And the integrated TV tuner can be useful for capturing video from '80s home computers, digitizing home movies, or recording console output. However, the hardware differences might make incompatible with a normal Mac ROM. Has anyone ever tested this? All I saw were threads from years ago that never answered the question. If not, I might give doing it myself a go, though it is unfortunate that I just put my Pentium II in storage to be replaced with the Sawtooth.

darthnVader:
It's "doable" if you want to but the effort into it.

An 8500 is an 8500 in the end of the day, it's really just a matter of the memory timings used.

The AIW used a Phillips analog TV tuner and a Booktree chip that has some support under Mac OS X: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xtv/

Tho there was an 8500DV that was an 8500 with a 1394 sub(PCI) device too.

FCodeUtils has a detok tool to detokenize the 8500's FCode ROM into a more human readable form, then it's just a matter of finding the correct memory timings from the PC VBIOS to edit the FCODE ROM with the correct timings.

https://github.com/openbios/fcode-utils

lepidotos:
My 9000 Pro fell through (apparently the seller's kid threw it away not knowing it was sold), so I have room, and my $20, for the DV again. I'll take a look at getting everything I can working, and then I'll consider OCing it for the fun of it, at least to 275/275 to match the original 8500. I already wasn't really going to be too hard on it -- Quake 1 and Deus Ex were really the two things I had in mind regarding games, so it might not even need it, but it could always use the extra oomph for Clouded Leopard.

lepidotos:
So I just took in the 8500DV and instantly fell into a hurdle: my Dell Optiplex GX1 doesn't actually have an AGP port -- the 3D Rage Pro inside of it is integrated and there isn't a spot on the sideways PCI mounter for any AGP graphics, meaning that the only AGP machine I have to be able to flash it is the Power Mac itself.
I would still really like to get the ROM off of it first in order to do as much as I can to preserve the TV tuner aspect, but I have no idea if that's possible from the Mac. I'm fine going to Tiger, since I already have that installed, if it's necessary.

darthnVader:

--- Quote from: lepidotos on September 04, 2021, 03:38:48 PM ---So I just took in the 8500DV and instantly fell into a hurdle: my Dell Optiplex GX1 doesn't actually have an AGP port -- the 3D Rage Pro inside of it is integrated and there isn't a spot on the sideways PCI mounter for any AGP graphics, meaning that the only AGP machine I have to be able to flash it is the Power Mac itself.
I would still really like to get the ROM off of it first in order to do as much as I can to preserve the TV tuner aspect, but I have no idea if that's possible from the Mac. I'm fine going to Tiger, since I already have that installed, if it's necessary.

--- End quote ---

Well, not having a AGP slot on a PC complicates things a bit, do you have a PCI graphics card you can use in your Mac?

It is possible to dump the VBios using LinuxPPC, and you could install LinuxPPC with you Mac AGP card and setup SSH, then boot with the 8500DV headless and use SSH to dump the cards PC VBIOS.

http://smackerelofopinion.blogspot.com/2011/07/using-pci-sysfs-interface-to-dump-video.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version