Author Topic: Mastering software...  (Read 4109 times)

Offline Rosetta

• Valued Member
Mastering software...
« on: August 04, 2021, 12:33:38 PM »
What are the de facto mastering software packages for OS 9?

Specifically, I'm looking for one that's capable of creating/exporting DDP images for CD mastering.
Power Mac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz / TASCAM FW-1804

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Mastering software...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 02:08:21 PM »
DDP images is not exactly available in OS9, the three major burning softwares all have caveats with some of the additional options such as break length, meta data or EAN.

toast 5 for example creates proper redbook content, but does not allow to set pause other than of 2:00.

the first "full featured" app i have seen is roxio´s jam - the audio-only sister of toast v.6, which requires 10.3+

it offers an audio editor with crossfading, you can have pause times of 0-inf between tracks, and you can edit titles and all the additional info you wish.

of course an old school CD master is not a problem in most houses, but DDP is preferred.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 02:13:07 PM »
i think if you come from protools and you use sounddesigner as interchange format, jam will even read the cue points from it.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 03:06:34 PM »
Yeah IIO, you need X, because before X no CD has ever been mastered, …   :P

I'd have a look at Emagic Waveburner Pro! Not sure if v2.2.1 is the latest version for 9.x (before Apple bought Emagic).

EDIT:
DDP images is not exactly available in OS9
And of course that is also a wrong statement! Sonic Studio HD (at least v 1.9.1 from 2004) can do DDP and DDP image dumps at a highly professional level. I am quite sure that if I go on searching, I will find further software that can handle DDP as the Disc Description Protocol was created in 1996.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 03:42:12 PM by Mat »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 04:20:13 PM »
so give him a copy of sonic studio and then we are talking, you theory terrorist. :)

waveburner does not even get DDP images right in OSX intel.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 04:25:44 PM »
For CD Mastering with non-linear cross fades and other unique options...

Try Spark XL

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1375.0.html

As far as DDP export feature.... not sure

The original software writer for Spark, later made DSP-Quatto
https://www.dsp-quattro.com/dspquattro/Site/DSP-Quattro.html

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 01:25:44 PM »
you theory terrorist. :)
Haha, Yes indeed! ;)
But seriously, is is undermining MacOS 9 usage and feelings towards the OS if constantly X-suggestions popping up, … and btw, it is as useless, if we would permanetely suggest Linux all the time people are asking for 9 software.

so give him a copy of sonic studio and then we are talking,
He/She was not asking "what CD-burning software can you quickly hand over"! ;)

waveburner does not even get DDP images right in OSX intel.
That is what I read as well. But WaveBurner for 9 was a more advanced software than the X version for a long time. I read articles from 2007 that the new version is now slowly catching up to the 9 version. So even if I also doubt that waveburner for 9 has DDP built in, it is still a great mastering software, and highly professional.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 03:33:31 PM »
But seriously, is is undermining MacOS 9 usage and feelings towards the OS if constantly X-suggestions popping up, … and btw, it is as useless, if we would permanetely suggest Linux all the time people are asking for 9 software.

so you think that it is more useful to suggest something which doesnt work or is not available, but at least it doesnt work for OS9.

btw., how do you think we sent premasters to our record companies between 1981 and 1996? :) noone needs a propertiary container format to print a glassmaster. (i am not saying the format would be a bad idea, but hey it is a propertiary format)

(and what a shame that waveburner is better than toast, isnt it)

Offline Rosetta

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 10:34:44 PM »
Ha, thank you for all the discourse guys. I now have some good starting points.
Power Mac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz / TASCAM FW-1804

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 03:21:55 AM »
so you think that it is more useful to suggest something which doesnt work or is not available, but at least it doesnt work for OS9.
You are an intelligent person, and usually we understand each other very well, even if we do not agree in every point. So please do not get polemic. This issue with X-suggestions has two main fields.

1. The first years (I say up to 10.4.x and 2005) every X suggestion was pure Apple marketing reproduction. 9 was better in nearly every field and we got the total force of a concern trying to push us into usage of a slow, bad designed, but  colourful completely different Operating System. A Unix! With all the lies of Apple like incompatibilities, with all the manipulation and brutality. Later all people had somehow implemented that "marketing speech" and permanetely reproduce that "X is better" in every silly situation.
Now when Rosetta was asking about DDP, you stated "DDP images is not exactly available in OS9", what is wrong and presenting the situation like if Mac OS 9 cannot do DDP because of some reason. But the correct answer would have been (when I try to write down your thoughts) something like "DDP is at Mac OS 9 only availaible in a few highly professional but abandoned programs that have been very expensive, and which are not available as cracks sadly".

2. The permanent disrespect about the questions and rather improper whataboutism.
Since 20 years now it is the same paradigm and working like that: "What sorts of Coffe are available?" leads to "No, no, coffe is crap, take some tea or better take some softdrinks".
That is extremely annoying. Especially for people like me who never used X and do not have it. It is exactly like the linux example that I used above. We are in a Mac OS 9 forum here, thus I am speaking up about it. I would not in a PPC forum, like macrumors for example where Mac OS 9 is one part of the topic.

btw., how do you think we sent premasters to our record companies between 1981 and 1996? :) noone needs a propertiary container format to print a glassmaster. (i am not saying the format would be a bad idea, but hey it is a propertiary format)
I agree 100%.
But nevertheless Rosetta aked about DDP, so I tried to answer the question.

(and what a shame that waveburner is better than toast, isnt it)
I do not understand.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2021, 04:41:08 AM »
oh, more theories, what did i do. :P

2. The permanent disrespect about the questions

yes, exactly.

Specifically, I'm looking for one that's capable of creating/exporting DDP images