Author Topic: PPC9600 OS 9.1 network with macOS 11 Big Sur?  (Read 2432 times)

Offline claudiop

• Newcomer
PPC9600 OS 9.1 network with macOS 11 Big Sur?
« on: July 13, 2021, 08:30:43 PM »
Hi, resurrected my PPC9600/300 running OS 9.1 and wanting to connect via LAN to my macOS Big Sur Mac Pro so that I can get some files off it.

I've tried image cloning the boot vol but 7GB is too large using Disk Copy and I've tried other OS apps but struck out. Any recommendations for creating 7GB img?

Checked the PPC9600 manual and setup ethernet, TCI/IP DHCP Server but my Big Sur Mac doesn't see it.

I've got other Macs running 10.11 El Capitan and earlier 10.4 Tiger but haven't tried these yet as they're a bit hard to get to at the moment. Might these work?

Wondered if the OS FW can boot OS 9 in Target Disk mode?

I've also ordered a convertor for the IDE/PATA HDD to USB and will yank it out and connect directly.

any ideas appreciated

cheers

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: PPC9600 OS 9.1 network with macOS 11 Big Sur?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 10:04:40 PM »
Be glad you have a Mac running 10.4… There is no way to get 10.11 to "see" 9.1 or vice-versa.
However, you can use the 10.4 machine as a "bridge" - transferring first from 10.11 to 10.4 to 9.1.

If this is just a one-time or every once in a while transfer, since you have a 10.4 Mac, that's the easier way.… OR you can

Re-enable FTP on 10.11 by following the steps here: https://osxdaily.com/2011/02/07/ftp-from-mac/ (It's still in the OS but hidden)
Then download Fetch 4.0.3 for OS9 from MacGarden or here: https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/how-to-network-between-the-classic-mac-os-and-os-x-for-file-transfer/
…and follow the instructions on the c/net page to get everything working over LAN. Fetch is the secret.

Offline Pyewacket

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 05:54:18 AM »
Big Sur will see and connect to Tiger, but it won’t work the other way. Tiger can’t connect to Big Sur. I use this to get things from Dropbox on Big Sur to my MacOS9 laptop then back to Dropbox with Tiger as a bridge both ways. It’s a bit convoluted, but the files need to live on Dropbox for a variety of reasons.

I connect to Tiger from the MacOS 9 laptop and access a folder I set up there to put things in from Big Sur. I don’t need to actually look Tiger or work on it at all now that it is set up.

edited to add
Once the file(s) are back on Tiger, I simply grab them from Tiger on Big Sur and put back on Dropbox
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 06:33:08 AM by Pyewacket »
Have proudly been a girl geek since before it was a ‘thing’ :)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 06:16:09 AM »
forget  using onboard tools.

any server/client protocol which exists for both OS will do for any PC operating system. FTP is probably the number one solution for file transfer.

beeing able to download and upload from computer A to a certain folder of computer B is sufficient for 90% of the use cases.

the usual desktop remote aka VNC will mostly be incompatible
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 06:21:04 AM »

Re-enable FTP on 10.11 by following the steps here: https://osxdaily.com/2011/02/07/ftp-from-mac/ (It's still in the OS but hidden)

i dont get this article. isnt this how ftp always worked in OSX? that is what i am doing since 10.0

the only thing what might be missing nowadays is that the finder no longer the default helper app for ftp in safari. (but i dont know)
insert arbitrary signature here