Author Topic: Installed OS 9.2.2  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Conkers

• Newcomer
Installed OS 9.2.2
« on: July 11, 2021, 11:52:51 AM »
I've installed OS9.2.2 successfully with the universal CD I downloaded from here but it won't boot from the partition it's installed to. It is Macbook G3 Lombard by the way. It's harddrive (4gb) was shot so I replaced it with 40gb. Around the internet people mentioned to partition it with no more than 8gb for Lombards so I've done it 7gb. When going into Open Firmware and do multti-boot, disk is not detected. I'm pulling my hair at this moment as I've tried OS9.0 and Panther with same results. Any insight would be appreciated.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: Installed OS 9.2.2
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 12:28:10 PM »
Perhaps it is also an ATA-2 issue like at the other thread?

So you could boot Mac OS 9.0, 9.2.2 and some X from the CD. You could use the installer natively, but the disc is not recognized after system installation?

Offline Conkers

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 03:40:47 AM »
Yes, unable to boot from freshly installed OS. One thing I noticed was the date was set to 1976. I'm guessing pram battery needs replacing but would that be the culprit I wonder.

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 08:05:00 AM »
Lombard here was once a dual boot - but I never liked OS X on it so wiped it, reformatted the 6 GB HD into two (3) GB partitions. Had difficulties attempting the install of OS 9.2.2 alone …so instead, installed OS 9 from an Apple commercial disc and no problems.

Intention was then to install the Apple upgrades to arrive finally @ OS 9.2.2 but have yet to do so. (Other projects.) ::)

Did find this old caveat from LowEndMac
“…drive controller in G3 PowerBooks is incompatible with some ATA-6/Ultra ATA-100 hard drives. When replacing the internal hard drive, you should be sure to obtain an ATA-5/Ultra ATA-66 compliant drive or an ATA-6 or ATA-7/Ultra ATA-133 drive known to work with Lombard….” -LowEndMac

PRAM battery (and Li-ion battery) is dead in mine yet no problems / AC power.

Offline Conkers

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 09:44:58 AM »
Thanks, I will try a different drive then.

Offline Conkers

• Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 12:03:27 PM »
 I now have 9.2.2 installed and working on Fujitsu 20GB perfectly. I have put it on 7GB partition to be on the safe side. Thanks everyone at Mac OS 9 Lives.