Author Topic: MIDI over LAN driver for OMS ?  (Read 11991 times)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
MIDI over LAN driver for OMS ?
« on: January 30, 2014, 03:06:54 PM »
MIDI over LAN driver for OMS ?

Someone have some info about MIDI sharing between two Macs connected with TCP/IP and using OMS?
Thanks in advance.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: MIDI over LAN driver for OMS ?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 05:04:12 PM »
There are Midi over Lan HARDWARE out there. It is like a PowerLineConverter to ethernet but for MIDI. Hmmm.  Midi to ethernet with PLC DoItYourself cable? Midi is serial data at a given speed, supposed to be slower than RJ45 10/100/1000 Mb/s. Hmmm. Let us do music and do not spend time making electronic projects  ;)  (Auto critic)

There is nothing like a REAL midi cable to link MacOS9 DAWs

We have FireNet software here. Perhaps someone can make an http/ftp to midi conversion (we have codewarrior    ;)  ) but don´t seem to be a software to do that, at least on OS9.

One Mac, One MIDI interface. Two macs, two midi int. and one cable linking them. 3 macs, 3 midi int. with 2 cables...
 Midi Out from DAW x to Midi In from DAW y and the Out to the IN of DAW z Rule works. At least using some DAW as samplers/vsti and returning audio to the main DAW.
I am not so sure if you need to make a ring with the midi or a single line.
Perhaps it depends of what you are doing.
Other thing is to sync DAWs for enhanced Inputs/Track Count/Outputs (and summing the outputs of them Mixing in the box/Outgear) I remember from a recording made with two G4 w/DIGI001 and linking them just with the midi (NOT USING ADAT FOR SYNC) using midi time code or midi something with one being master and other slave. Recorded with PT 5 LEs and mixed later in just  1DAW w/Logic

On X since Tiger you got something from Apple to LAN the MIDI. There was a try on Panther from a Third, but never tried.

I am really sorry for this off'topic chat.
 ;)

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 06:28:50 PM »
Thank You for the answer.

Long time ago two Macs could make a MIDI connection via phone line.
"MIDI Share" can share MIDI data within a TCP/IP connection. But there is't any DAW that uses "MIDI Share" MIDI Manager.
What I'm asking for is a  driver for OMS  that can do MIDI over LAN. Client/Server MIDI IN/OUT for OMS, as exist for other Operating Systems.

Thankyou anyway.

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 04:53:27 AM »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 11:59:58 AM »

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 10:31:42 AM »
I'm wondering just how fast and most importantly stable networking two DAWs together is. It would be great to have a Pro Tools system and a Logic system linked together via MTC.

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 11:06:20 AM »
It would be great if we improve this area

In http://modularing.free.fr/modularing/manual/manual_os9/main.php3?open=9&inPage=installing_with_protools.html
There is a good tutorial on using Modularing with Protools Free

Learn how to use the ProTools playing with Modularing synth and sequencers. To run this tutorial, you must have installed:

- Modularing with MidiShare 1.86
- ProTools FREE 5.0.1 + SoundCheck Demo Session
- OMS 2.3.8 (Please refer the installation guide in this manual for more information about using OMS and MidiShare).
Using MidiShare and OMS together

To connect MidiShare applications with OMS applications, you will use the OMS IAC Busses (Inter Application Communication). With the help of msDrivers, any of the 4 x IAC busses could be associated with any of the 256 MidiShare communication ports.
Check the OMS Current Studio Setup

From OMS Setup application, open the current studio setup.

• (optional) Open IAC Driver to gives an appropriate name to the IAC bus #1 like:

Check MidiShare Setup

• Enable the OMS Driver inside the "MidiShare folder" (located into your system folder).

Check MidiShare with OMS communication

From OMS Setup application, open the current studio setup.

• Launch msDrivers

• Select a MidiShare port for communication with OMS. In this example we choose the first one (port 0), by clicking on first matrix led to activate recording. The square and window will turn red.

• Under recording state, select IAC -1 as input and IAC -1 as output for the selected MidiShare port.

• Click on the port (0) again to deselect record mode (the red goes off).

• A blue mark will confirm a connection to this port.

• To verify a connection, drag the mouse over the Input or Output column. Each time a connection exist, a green led will flash to the associated port in the matrix.

note: The MidiShare port number #240 is the default port for receiving continuous controller message. The MidiShare port number #255 will be reserved for modularing network controller (NET CONTROLLER).
Launch PRO TOOLS - FREE

After Protool Free installation, launch the ProTools FREE software.

Inside Pro tools, under the MIDI menu select the "MIDI Beat Clock…" option

Enable MIDI Beat Clock and select the IAC bus.

• In Pro tools MIX window, for any MIDI track select the MidiShare Port/Channel destination

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 04:19:55 PM »
There had been some advances in forum due to Metrophage's experience with Modularing . Modularing needs MidiShare to work
I uploaded the installers to the root folder of my shares. Version 2 can apparently be registered to the full version with a serial (which I don't have), while Version 3 is demo only. They have a 20 minute timeout. They are not Max runtime patches, but full applications. Apparently when its registered one can put them in a virtual rack and pipe datectly between modules, sort of like a primitive version of Numerology. They are mostly MIDI generators and processors, with a few rudimentary audio modules.

To use them, it needs a compatible version of MidiShare, I tried 1.86 and it worked. When you install MidiShare, there is a folder of utilities which defaults to installing on the root of your hard drive (pic 1),

and a drivers folder which goes in the System (pic 2),

- as well as a control panel, which tends to be the main way of using it (pic 3).

When MS starts it automatically runs the drivers as background applications. You need to make sure you've got the right ones there first. Some new world systems without serial ports might hang it up, so put "msSerial Driver" in the disabled folder if you aren't using it. I am testing Modularing now with an Emagic MT4 so I installed the "msOMSDriver" so I could use it. One MS is installed and the system restarted, open the MS control panel and you'll see a huge patch matrix. (pic 4)

The left side is inputs, the right side is outputs. Click on a port, such as the first block, and choose the inputs and outputs you want to associate with it. When you are running a program which uses MS, your ports should be available within the application. It was confusing to me at first, but made sense to me once I got used to it.

Despite MidiShare appearing to merely be "some quirky left-field MIDI manager", I have had good luck with it. Once it is set up, it runs well. And even offers a LAN driver for sending MIDI over ethernet for Macs without a MIDI interface.

Long time ago two Macs could make a MIDI connection via phone line.
"MIDI Share" can share MIDI data within a TCP/IP connection. But there is't any DAW that uses "MIDI Share" MIDI Manager.
What I'm asking for is a  driver for OMS  that can do MIDI over LAN. Client/Server MIDI IN/OUT for OMS, as exist for other Operating Systems.

Thankyou anyway.

Aparently MidiShare can work with OMS. And OMS is everywhere on OS9DAWs (But DP)
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 04:27:22 PM »
There is also, at least in MidiShare 1.86, also a MIDI Time Piece driver, but I haven't tried this one.