Author Topic: Create Bootable MAC os CD on Windows..?  (Read 4955 times)

Offline just_macos

Create Bootable MAC os CD on Windows..?
« on: July 03, 2021, 01:55:29 AM »
hey..

how can i create bootable mac os (Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install.iso) cd on windows..? i dont have the mac which has cd/dvd rom reader/writer supported.. can i use transmac..? actually i did usb bootlable device with this iso image over trans mac but didnt bootable.. just shows as a hdd..

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Create Bootable MAC os CD on Windows..?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 02:11:19 AM »
simply put: and iso is an iso is an iso.

i´ve never burned discs under windows, but the pirnciple is always the same: burn the image file as such - and not mount it and copy the content - and it should work, no matter what foreign format it is.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 09:27:23 AM »
Transmac HELP page:
https://www.acutesystems.com/tmac/help/tmhelp.htm

So I assume that as long as you open(?) the downloaded .iso from within Transmac,
-that you should then be able to burn that (also from within Transmac)
...to some other "Mac-friendly" media?

Someone more "Windows-capable" might care to explain the W2M path?
I assume that the target Mac here does not have any Mac OS, resident?

Offline DrNo7

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 11:45:27 PM »
As stated above: ISO is a format for a disk image. That means it will be burns as-is like doing byte replication.

On windows, any decent disk burning software (nero, imgburn...) will offer ISO burning mode and behind the scene it will not be much different from doing a lot dd in Linux ;)

OTOH, if the question were: how do I create a bootable OS9 CD from my old mac HDD, then it would be another story completely as there you would need windows software that could understand OS9 intricacy.

Long story short: don't panic and just burn the ISO with the right software ;)
Ti 1 GHz / 1 GB / FW SSD / Airport Extreme PCMCIA (triple boot)
Alu 12 1.5GHz / 1.5 GB / 256 GB mSata SSD (dual boot for now)

Offline just_macos

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 03:26:34 AM »
hey all..

thanx alot for ur reply i think i did it and booted but stuck at this screen.. can u pls watch the video.. i never installed mac os 9..

https://vimeo.com/571182372

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: Create Bootable disc / G3 iBook
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 05:26:19 AM »
Well, it sounds like it is trying.

How long did you wait and did the drive stop making those “reading” accessing noises entirely?
It can be a very long and slow process with a G3, with long periods of silence before install screen ever appears.
Might try it again and wait 5 to 10 minutes, just to see if it might progress beyond what was shown in that short video.

Just when you think it's doing nothing... it may surprise you.

Which G3 iBook is it?

Offline just_macos

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 06:07:11 AM »
hey..

yes it is.. after a few minutes reader is stopping.. not working...

i am still waiting. :) still stuck at same screen.. it is ibook m6497 device and is there any way to install mac w/o disc.? can u pls help me about it..?

tia...

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: Bootable Disc / G3 iBook
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 03:47:57 PM »
Times like this will make you wish that you had a small external Firewire drive to boot from.
I’m guessing that you don’t have one? Any friends or neighbors around that might have another Mac?
(Possible Firewire Target Disk mode installation route?)

Might try burning another disc at slowest burn speed available… & try install again from that new CD.

I just tried to install from the Universal Installer disc on an 800 MHz G3 iBook (model A1005) with no luck.
The Toshiba DVD-ROM drive in this machine is always a bit on the flaky side. So instead, I used MacTron’s
Rescue & Install disc and it worked fine. (Probably a “bad burn” on the Universal Install Disc that I used
and other discs & files are downstairs.) I'm working outdoors today.

•••So, if after you re-burn the Universal Installer… if it still will not load/boot/mount, I’ll see if I can find
an .iso copy of Rescue & Install disc to upload for you later tonight. But do let me know if your 2nd burn
attempt does work for you.

When I originally installed OS 10.4.6 on this 800 MHz iBook, I two-partitioned its hard drive leaving half
the available space for a later OS 9.2.2 installation. (So I just now installed 9.2.2 there.)

Might also try to blow out your drive (lightly) with some canned air… even before you try the 2nd burn.

Do you intend to dedicate your iBook to Mac OS9 alone - or do the dual boot / dual partition scheme?

UPDATE: Repeatedly tapping my fingers (just to the right of the trackpad & just below the keyboard)
while the Universal Installer Disc was spinning up… and it then mounted for installation. [Old and touchy
DVD-ROM drives.] Wouldn’t even mount before. So maybe blow your drive out and do a little light finger
drumming as the disc spins?
::)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 07:09:39 PM by FBz »

Offline Pyewacket

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 03:20:37 PM »
I just recently installed 9.2.2 on my iBook, also m6457. I didn’t create the installer disk on Windows, but I had the same problem. What solved it for me was to boot the ibook holding down the C key. Any other way of booting caused it to stall. I have 2 partitions on my iBook, 1 with Tiger, and the other with 9.2.2.

Sounds weird, but it is what worked eventually.
Have proudly been a girl geek since before it was a ‘thing’ :)

Offline just_macos

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 04:01:28 AM »
I just recently installed 9.2.2 on my iBook, also m6457. I didn’t create the installer disk on Windows, but I had the same problem. What solved it for me was to boot the ibook holding down the C key. Any other way of booting caused it to stall. I have 2 partitions on my iBook, 1 with Tiger, and the other with 9.2.2.

hey..

if i press the power button while pressing "c" button mac is not booting from cd.. i can only boot the mac by holding down " alt option" button..

Offline just_macos

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 04:06:22 AM »
Times like this will make you wish that you had a small external Firewire drive to boot from.
I’m guessing that you don’t have one? Any friends or neighbors around that might have another Mac?

Might try burning another disc at slowest burn speed available… & try install again from that new CD.

I just tried to install from the Universal Installer disc on an 800 MHz G3 iBook (model A1005) with no luck.
The Toshiba DVD-ROM drive in this machine is always a bit on the flaky side. So instead, I used MacTron’s
Rescue & Install disc and it worked fine. (Probably a “bad burn” on the Universal Install Disc that I used

•••So, if after you re-burn the Universal Installer… if it still will not load/boot/mount, I’ll see if I can find
an .iso copy of Rescue & Install disc to upload for you later tonight. But do let me know if your 2nd burn

When I originally installed OS 10.4.6 on this 800 MHz iBook, I two-partitioned its hard drive leaving half
the available space for a later OS 9.2.2 installation. (So I just now installed 9.2.2 there.)

Might also try to blow out your drive (lightly) with some canned air… even before you try the 2nd burn.

Do you intend to dedicate your iBook to Mac OS9 alone - or do the dual boot / dual partition scheme?

UPDATE: Repeatedly tapping my fingers (just to the right of the trackpad & just below the keyboard)
while the Universal Installer Disc was spinning up… and it then mounted for installation. [Old and touchy
DVD-ROM drives.] Wouldn’t even mount before. So maybe blow your drive out and do a little light finger
hey again..

sorry for late i was abit busy..

thanx to all and expecially to u .. u really helped me more.. i think my cd reader is damaged or not working.. mac detects the cd rom but not starting the install..i really cleaned the disk reader with soft cleaner but still same.. as u say i will try to burn another cd with low speed if this doesnt help me can u pls upload for me finally "Rescue & Install disc"..?

is there any other methods to install os..? like booting usb storage or sth like this..?

wbr..

Offline just_macos

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 05:40:30 AM »

hey..

if i press the power button while pressing "c" button mac is not booting from cd.. i can only boot the mac by holding down " alt option" button..

oohh sorry it is booting.. my mistake..booting but not starting to install os..

Offline just_macos

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2021, 05:42:02 AM »

hey again..

sorry for late i was abit busy..

thanx to all and expecially to u .. u really helped me more.. i think my cd reader is damaged or not working.. mac detects the cd rom but not starting the install..i really cleaned the disk reader with soft cleaner but still same.. as u say i will try to burn another cd with low speed if this doesnt help me can u pls upload for me finally "Rescue & Install disc"..?

is there any other methods to install os..? like booting usb storage or sth like this..?

wbr..

i burnt another disk with lowest speed but still same.. can u pls upload rescue disk image..?

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
iBook USB stick - install
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2021, 09:15:38 AM »
Sent you a PM.

Successfully created, booted and installed OS 9.2.2 here on the 800 MHz iBook... from a USB stick.

MacTron’s Bootable Rescue CD & Disk Repair (Plus Version) w/ optional OS Install
...nor the Toast version are currently available for download. (DieHard's working on files.)

Normally available here:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1657.0.html

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Rescue & Repair .iso
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2021, 12:23:37 PM »
Rescue & Repair download is a GO.
Thanks DieHard!

But…
Have PM’ed a link to an unzipped .iso to OP
…to maybe skip unzipping on Windows machine.

There’s a Windows machine downstairs that I sneer at from time to time
…yet wonder if OP can use this .iso without a functional Mac in house?

(No, I refuse to boot the tortured captive downstairs to test.) >:(

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2021, 08:45:49 PM »
There are 2 versions in the folder, one is NOT zipped

Update: I unzipped and re-uploaded, so there are still 2 versions (I think one is ISO and the other Toast and compressed), I think they are the same image, please let me know if they are different in any way