Author Topic: File association problem  (Read 3266 times)

Offline Pyewacket

• Valued Member
File association problem
« on: June 22, 2021, 05:16:49 PM »
A little background - I create art resources for an online graphical community. It runs on very old technology. I use Macromedia Director 4.04 to take the art from the artist and create a file which I then drop on another tool which creates the file to be uploaded to the database for use in the world.

The Director part works fine. The problem occurs when I try to drop the file on the tool. It simply doesn’t recognize it, so it doesn’t open. The funny part is that the same file will work fine with the tool under classic.

I prefer to work with Director in native 9.2.2 since it doesn’t like classic and gets quirky <g>

Sooooo, my question is how do I tell the system that the director file is also associated with the tool?

TIA for any help
Have proudly been a girl geek since before it was a ‘thing’ :)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: File association problem
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 06:01:30 PM »
association in macos9 works (almost) exclusively via type/creator code - something which can get lost when the file was transferred over the network or never existed when it comes from windows.

you can create a new t/c code or change the existing one easily with various tools like resedit, filetyper or ABFM. the latter two also let you create droplet apps which i find most handily to put into pop-up windows.

in rare cases associations can break because of an error in the desktop database, but dont worry about that. ;)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Pyewacket

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 06:52:13 PM »
Thanks for that. I may have other uses for it, but I don’t think it will help here (unless I’m missing something)

If I do a get info on the file in Tiger, it shows that it opens in Director as default (which is correct) and it also shows Director Tool under the open with dropdown. This is correct and the file and Director Tool play nice under classic on the Tiger machine, meaning I can drop the file on the tool in classic and it does it’s thing.

On the 9 machine, it does correctly open in Director when double clicked, but Director Tool doesn’t recognize it. It’s been many years since I’ve worked in native 9 so I vaguely remembered that is would be a file type/creator thing, but is there a was to fix things so Director Tool know this is a file it’s supposed to process?

Obviously I can use the Tiger machine to do that final processing step, but it’s annoying not to be able to do it all at the same time LOL

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 07:52:45 PM »
oh it only doesnt open? is it really the same program/version? i´ve never used director myself so i leave that to those who know it.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Pyewacket

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 08:01:24 PM »
It opens fine in Director it’s the additional program called Director Tool that won’t recognize it on the 9 machine. Under classic on the Tiger machine it works as it should. Way back when when I had a 9 machine before it worked fine. I just came back to doing this work a few years ago and only had a mini running Tiger w/Classic. I just got an iBook running 9.2.2 so moved the process over to that machine since Director is quirky under Classic.

It just doesn’t make sense to me that a program that worked fine under 9 years ago only seems to work under classic now LOL

Thanks for trying

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 01:34:46 PM »
Some files (not tested with Director-files) I have managed problem with using Netscape:
- Open Netscape.
- Drag and drop it to window of Netscape.
- Netscape ask where to save the file.
- Save it to different place.
- Try now to use that saved file.
It has worked for me many times when files was moved with not HFS+ filesystem (example PC-formatted USB-stick or ISO9660-CDROM)

Offline Pyewacket

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 09:44:26 PM »
Some files (not tested with Director-files) I have managed problem with using Netscape:
- Open Netscape.
- Drag and drop it to window of Netscape.
- Netscape ask where to save the file.
- Save it to different place.
- Try now to use that saved file.
It has worked for me many times when files was moved with not HFS+ filesystem (example PC-formatted USB-stick or ISO9660-CDROM)

Nope no joy lol

The thing is, the file is ok. If I double click it it opens in Director as it should. Th problem arises when I try dropping it on the Director Tool program that should create the file I need to upload to the database. It works as it should under Classic on my other machine. I got the Director Tool program from the same .sit on both machines.

As I said, it’s not a dealbreaker as I can do that last step on the other machine, it just make sense, so is annoying <g>

Offline Pyewacket

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 07:54:49 PM »
Solved!

I trolled through my old emails and found one where someone had sent me the .sit file with Director Tool in it (different copy of it from what I had used). I unstuffed it and it now recognizes the file and works as expected.

<does happy dance>

People laugh at me for being a digital packrat LOL