Author Topic: Optical drive for Beige PowerPC DT  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Click

• Valued Member
Optical drive for Beige PowerPC DT
« on: June 16, 2021, 06:54:45 AM »
CD drive seems to be unresponsive, so I'm looking for a replacement for my PowerPC G3 Beige DT.  IDE of course.  I need it to install software like Toast on CD media.  OS922 does not mount the .iso files on my flash drive. Will an IDE drive scavenged from an older PC have any chance of working or do I need a specific type/make of drive?  Thanks in advance for any help.
DT Beige PowerPC Sonnet 800Hz everyday use, MDD FW400 & 800

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Optical drive for Beige PowerPC DT
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 07:35:22 AM »
if you have bad luck this specific model might not boot from newer drives, otherwise go for the same ones recommended in the mdd thread.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 09:01:41 AM »
In theory all IDE drives should work correctly. Like IIO explained, some might not boot, …

But I do not understand the sentence: "OS922 does not mount the .iso files on my flash drive." As we told you, you need toast to mount .iso images. That means the kind of mass storage does not affect the handling of files, except that you might need a writeable storage, and you might need a Mac filesystem like HFS or HFS+ (and flash has in most cases FAT32). So usually it should be enough to copy any file to the HD. So what do you expect that a CD can do that a flash drive (BTW what kind of flash drive at the G3?) cannot?

Offline Click

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 03:29:44 PM »
Because the optical was not working on the Mac, I made .iso files of several app installation CD disks including Toast and Stuffit.  I used a PC to make the .isos, written to a flash drive. On the Mac I copied the iso files from the flashdrive to the hard disk of OS 922 and double clicked.  I got a message saying something to the effect that there was no program which could open this type of file. 

My present challenge is getting Toast and some other apps installed using these iso files, since the CD drive is inop.  I know that the installer CDs work when read from an optical drive (having done it in the past), but that's not an option at present.  I have purchased a drive on ebay, the recommended SH2202, so perhaps that will be the solution eventually. I apologize if I was unclear earlier.
DT Beige PowerPC Sonnet 800Hz everyday use, MDD FW400 & 800

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 01:45:48 AM »
double-godwin: "how to open toast.iso and stuffit.sit"
insert arbitrary signature here