Author Topic: Suggestion for MDD DVD Drive Replacement  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Click

• Valued Member
Suggestion for MDD DVD Drive Replacement
« on: June 14, 2021, 11:48:25 AM »
One of my MDDs has a bad Pioneer DVD drive.  It opens and closes but does not spin up or mount either a DVD or CD disk, so I think it is probably just kaput.  I have several IDE drives sitting in old PC boxes.  Is there any chance that going to the trouble to cannibalize one of these would be worthwhile to get a DVD/CD drive for the MDD? 

Otherwise are there any suggestions for what to look for on ebay or wherever?  I have several CDs with installs which I want to install on my OS9 system.  OS9 does not seem to recognize/mount an ISO file.
DT Beige PowerPC Sonnet 800Hz everyday use, MDD FW400 & 800

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: Suggestion for MDD DVD Drive Replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 02:10:41 PM »
I'd suggest to go for a Samsung SH-S202 – if possible a new one. Better than any "Super Drive". It is a rock solid DVD-Burner, bootable with every Mac OS  9 machine, and quite silent. I am using 3 of these in my macs, and they are real good quality. I could backup a lot of CDs from the 90ies that were not readable anymore by any other CD or DVD drive! Additionally it has 12x DVD-RAM writing as well. Should be few bucks these days.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 02:25:23 PM »
https://www.lg.com/de/support/produkt/lg-GSA-H22L

look at the specs, good RAM support and super silent.

i paid 8 euro for a pack with 5 of them. packs often means pulled from office machines i.e. like new.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Click

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 11:26:57 AM »
The S202 tray is too big to clear the faceplate of the MDD, I learned after installing it.  Huh. I thought this was like a standard thing. Nope. the Apple trays were like 1/8 inch or a bit less narrower-or at least my OEM drive was.

After puzzling a bit, I decided to file down the front of the S202 tray and <hope> that I could get it enough smaller to work.  I took the plastic down quite a bit-right to the side rails of the tray.  And voila, it worked.  Now if I could just figure out how to make it eject in OS9... Mouse down at startup is the only way I've found so far. F12 and option+eject are no-go.  You'd think there would be an OS9 menu command or something.

Click
DT Beige PowerPC Sonnet 800Hz everyday use, MDD FW400 & 800

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 11:32:55 AM »
i wonder why this is so important for you to open the tray before boot and/or why you dont want to use the mouse.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 01:54:52 PM »
On the Universal OS9 install disk (and the Emergency disk too) there’s a file called “Eject Extras” with simple to install instructions. Given that downloads here are questionable at present, might be difficult to acquire BUT if you used the MacOS9Lives Universal installer disc/download, or the Emergency disc… you’ve already got this handy lit bit of help. Otherwise, simple to upload for you if necessary. (I’m upstairs on a newer iMac or I’d attach it for your now.)

OR, you can get it here...
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/2785-eject-extras

OR HERE: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/eject-extras

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 02:22:18 PM by FBz »

Offline peeperpc

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 02:01:52 AM »
I know it has been explained and it can be applied to other Mac models with no problem. But I happen to have the OS 9 for this model (it has two Eject applications) so let me add this.

1. Use the Control Strip.

-If it doesn't appear on your screen already, go to Control Panels > Control Strip to set it up.

-Go to go to Application (Mac OS 9) > Apple Extras > Eject Extras > Eject Extras folder

-Drag the Eject Strip onto the Control Strip. That's it, done.

-You can remove items from the strip by going to System Folder > Control Strip Modules folder and drag them out of the folder then restart.

-There is a good guide about it in Help Center (Help menu bar > Help Center and type "control strip" in the search box).

2.  Use an F-key to open the tray.

- Go to Control Panel > Keyboard and click the Function Keys button.

-This will open the Hot Function Keys window.

-Now, go to Application (Mac OS 9) > Apple Extras > Eject Extras > Eject Extras folder and drag the item you want to use into a box such as the F12 in the Hot Function Keys window. Click OK.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 02:17:20 AM by peeperpc »