Author Topic: Compatible USB 3.1 stick  (Read 4017 times)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Compatible USB 3.1 stick
« on: June 05, 2021, 04:56:27 AM »
This week I purchased a modern and really fast USB 3.1 stick with 128GB. As there have been some issues with USB 3 in the past I wanted to report that this one is perfectly compatible to USB 1.1 and working quite well at my Mac OS 9.2.2 machines. Nice fact: I could call the support in advance, and asked them about it. I got somebody from the company directly, not any callcenter. He couldn't assure Mac OS 9 compatibility, and was sorry to have not USB 1.1. host available for testing anymore. He offered to send it back if it doesn't work, while he suspected that nothing speaks against 1.1 compatibility. And so it is: complete and flawlessly compatibility!
At the Linux machine I got write speeds up to 85MB per second.

It is an Intenso Highspeed Line 128GB stick.
https://www.intenso.de/en/products/usb-sticks/high-speed-line

The black housing, and the enjoyable dark LED in RED created Knight Riders KITT connotations, when looking at it from the side ;-)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Compatible USB 3.1 stick
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 05:45:02 AM »
the "ultra line" also works.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 11:15:13 PM »
Good to know fellas...Thanks! ;D

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 04:28:50 PM »
A few days ago I had the first issues with this stick, or – as I expect – again with Mac OS X. Someon with a Mac OS 10.11 laptop wanted to hand over some pdfs. The X wrote the files to the stick (normally FAT 32 formatted) and my Ti with 9.2.2 could not use this files while seeing them. The pdfs are there, the stick is usable with all systems (10.4, Win 10, Win XP, various Linux, Mac OS 9.2.2. and even my Ataris), but the pdf written from 10.11 cannot be copied or opened by 9, ...
Anybody else had this experiance, that X writes files to FAT32 that cannot be used by 9 anymore? WTF is X doing with the files?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 11:38:07 PM »
the pdf written from 10.11 cannot be copied or opened by 9, ...
I don't think that is OSX. It's more likely that the PDF is a much later version that can't be read by Adobe Reader or whatever you're using in OS9.

That said, if correct, there may (not IS… may) be a way to save the files in a backwards-compatible PDF format readable by older PDF readers.

That said, since you cannot copy them either, it could also be a permissions issue. OS9 File Sharing is easily confused by OSX Unix-based permissions.
Make certain the files are completely unrestricted in the Get Info box. By that I don't mean "everyone", I mean read and write for ALL users: "Me", "staff", "everyone" etc.

That said, it could be all of the above…  :-X

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 02:28:00 AM »
Thanks GaryN, but I am not a complete noob regarding pdfs! ;) Of course we are talking about an PDF/X-1a:2001. A simple copy-operation with Linux solved the unusability. Means the file is 100% ok, and when I copy it to a Linux desktop, and back to the stick, 9 can use it without issues. So what shall I tell X users, to do, when such a issue occures again? How are permissions set to single files in X 10.xy?