Author Topic: The Future of MacOS9Lives...  (Read 15570 times)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: The Future of MacOS9Lives...
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2021, 08:26:39 AM »
That's a bummer, do you not have a modern computer? We've discussed making a vintage oriented access option for the site but the resources for it have never materialized.
Oh, I do, I don't use my SE and LC often these days and go by my MDD and my new 1GHz Ti, all with Mac OS 9. My heavily upgraded 9600 was my mainmachine until about 2 years ago :-p
Seriously, no, I do everything with Mac OS 9. Even Cameron didn't get this years ago ;)
I have sometimes access to a Linux i7 and a quad G5 with 10.4 but I hate both of them, and I see no chance to get such a machine as main computer. Recent Mac or Win is anyways a absolutely no-go. Sadly my Ataris or Haiku or other alternatives are also not a big help regarding modern Internet.

So any "mid 2000 solution" to any webproject would be real possibility to really access your projects! And, I like to stress, that I make a huge difference between "vintage" like any Netscape 3 or text-only, and meaningful webtools that are working well with Netsurf for example. The ugly mobile-design, with tons of crap is killing the internet at the moment, completely independent from older Operating Systems.

Anyway I'm rambling. Thank you for the warm welcome. I'll be out of your hair once this resolves.
I don't think that anybody thinks you are rambling. I would be glad if you become a permanent guest here.

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2021, 02:42:39 PM »
I had the same issues a few years back. I hosted a load of abandonware Mac software, everything was running smoothly for a few years until my hosting provider took a closer look and told me I had to cease hosting the software or risk my account being terminated. I can't remember their reasoning but I'm sure it's because they don't want to take on any piracy risks and don't understand abandonware etc.

My question is how macintoshgarden, and the internet archive have got around this. What hosting provider do they use? Maybe it's a custom setup through Amazon or something but I'll look into it when I get time. GoDaddy are terrible, they are the snakes of the hosting and domain providers. We just need to find a hosting platform that either macintoshgarden use, or one that doesn't have issue with software being hosted.

As another alternative we could use torrents for the software and all 'self-host' it. Sure it looks a little more suspicious because it's a torrent but they have been given a bad name due to piracy. What we are doing isn't software piracy. I'm sure a good majority of us would be more than willing to download the software archive, act as 'seeds' when online, and a number of us would be fine running a machine 24/7 for the cases when nobody is online to seed the torrent data. I have 'Ultra Fast' Fibre and would be willing to leave a machine running for seeding. There are torrent clients that work under Mac OS 9 too.

As I said I'll look into the hosting, but we need a good long term solution. Diehard has gone through a lot of trouble keeping this community running and I'm sure we can come up with a solid plan for the future

Edit: It looks like macintoshgarden.org is hosted by Bahnhof https://os.bahnhof.net/index.php?rp=/store/openstack-vm
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 02:54:46 PM by Greystash »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2021, 11:25:15 PM »
Glad to see the forum is back at least. Was very worried for a minute there. To me the most valuable thing on this site isn't the downloads. It's all of the useful info posted on threads. If anything, DH, please make some backup copies of the SQL database so that we can at least preserve the information posted here. It took us years to build the info we have. I don't see most of it anywhere else.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2021, 07:50:57 AM »
Glad to see the forum is back at least. Was very worried for a minute there. To me the most valuable thing on this site isn't the downloads. It's all of the useful info posted on threads.

Yes!!! Absolutely Syntho! Those Mother Effers!!!

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2021, 12:10:41 PM »
How is Macintosh garden hosted and how much space do they need?

Offline SDG

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2021, 03:22:29 PM »
How is Macintosh garden hosted and how much space do they need?

MG seems to be an Aussie operation hosted via Dreamscape Networks. From what I can remember, the owner of the site has deep enough pockets and funds it all because that is what he wants to spend his money on. Seems to have plenty of bandwidth etc.

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2021, 02:20:49 AM »
No, the Aussie was the one that took the donated money and ran off. Well, kinda of. At least he was decent enough to hand it over to the current Mac Garden admin fogwraith who's located in Scandinavia. But yeah, he's very dedicated and has a great server know-how, that is how he keeps all afloat. And yeah, you can bet he donates a nice sum every month so everyone can grab Mac OS abandonware for free (talk about idealism!) :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 02:33:30 AM by Bolkonskij »
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline flecom

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2021, 02:52:43 AM »
I have some servers in a cabinet in a datacenter, I can spin up a VM with a simple ftp/http server if you need an additional mirror.

Offline Mike Richardson

• Valued Member
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2021, 07:27:01 AM »
I have gigabit fiber at home, 1000 Mbps download and 1000 Mbps upload with static IPs.

I also have an unused multi - TB external hard drive and a Raspberry Pi that does absolutely nothing.

Offline hageir

• Enthusiast Member
  • 68000 & Z80s all day long
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2021, 06:52:24 AM »
 :'(

Have you looked into this site?
https://the-eye.eu/

They're proud data-hoarders;

Our Mission
Living without the knowledge of our past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots. The Internet is a worldwide platform for sharing information. It is a community of common interests.

Our mission at The Eye is to preserve pieces of digital history. We are digital librarians.

Site Information
The Eye is a non-profit website dedicated towards content archival and long-term preservation.

We currently host various large scale data-sets amounting to hundreds of thousands of files. These data-sets include various website and software archives.

As of June 2021, The Eye is capable of hosting around 240+ terabytes of data. You can view our real-time bandwidth statistics here.

They might be able to help, they also have a nice Discord server...

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2021, 07:52:13 AM »
Index of /public/Books/4chan_pol_Archives/Third Reich/ ? ...
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2021, 12:08:14 PM »
Any news?

Browsing my uploads on Protools plugins.Most of them come as an attachment and can still be downloaded.

The ones that Diehard uploaded to main server are lost, but the most of the RTAS working ones are still on my Case Study XXX on Protools posts section.

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,5716.0.html

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,5716.msg42587.html#msg42587

Missing one is the 52 plugs one,but on other post it was pointed where in Macintosh Garden you could find it. Also the megapack that got all TDM users crazy.

I have a lot of downloads that I could reupload once we define a route.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2021, 01:57:29 PM »
i guess we should not start random here and random there solutions for new users before we have an "official" new hosting solution.

but maybe we can make an exception for 922, 922 universal, 922 unsupported and 922 mini and put them on some free and fast host.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline chrisNova777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2021, 11:37:28 AM »
i thought knez + mac garden were handling the file hosting??? or did that change long time ago ?

for what its worth ive been wanting to ditch godaddy for a VERY VERY LONG TIME just havent got the motivation to do all the extra work that it involved to make the chnage to a new web host

GoDaddy has always been good but not great
theres been a number of times where my site was left down for days on end because of an error on their part etc
I think they do provide a good service for most sleeper developers out there but if you want a host thats gonna be on their toes with intelligence + competence
i think you need a different company im looking for a new experience

i wouldnt reccommend giving the macos9lives data to another 3rd party - it needs to stay in the hands of someone who is passionate about music + creativitity + community + keeping these things accessible for future generations, and someone who also has the technical skills to keep adding + building to whats already been accomplished.
it should stay a passion-project not end up mixed up with all the other "warez for warez sake" bs
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 12:35:03 PM by chrisNova777 »

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2021, 09:06:19 AM »
i thought knez + mac garden were handling the file hosting??? or did that change long time ago ?

Knez is the best and yes, the entire forum (and domain) will be moved to the garden after the logistics are figured out.

I was hoping they can keep the downloads liked to the boards, because I think that is easier than their current search method

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2021, 01:20:54 PM »
I just knew that I liked Knez for some reason or another.
(Although I never did receive that pic of Mille Dinesen.) >:(

Now wouldn’t it be nice if it was a simple move, where the Forum looked & functioned
the same…except now, being hosted on Mac Garden’s server(s)?

[You do realize that some of us were holding our breath?]

MacOS9Lives! (dotcom)

Offline damo-blak

• Valued Member
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2021, 06:03:53 AM »
Web hosting is a nightmare sometimes for Sites with software uploads,
I just want to thank you guys for the effort you put in to this,
This old software would be very hard to track down and some stuff just gets lost
to time if not for people who are enthusiastic to preserve these old systems.

The relentless drive for newer hardware and updated Os doesn't
need to mean the end for stuff that used to work well in my book!,
I have never stopped using old systems.

I have been a longtime lurker,only just set up an account,
was looking in every so often to see what people were doing with
this stuff and chatting about.

Good luck with the change over,
I noticed when the files went down and wondered what happened,
have 4 g4's now but none of them are working at the moment!,
but ive got 2 mac mini's with os9 on:-)

Offline chrisNova777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2021, 09:32:37 PM »
well as long as the site works and downloads work - between all the people involved here it shouldnt be too hard to figure out

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2021, 07:05:51 AM »
Knez is the best and yes, the entire forum (and domain) will be moved to the garden after the logistics are figured out.

Waiting eagerly for the files so I can start working :)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Architecture

• Enthusiast Member
  • SCSI Hardware Sampler Junkie
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2021, 07:07:08 PM »
Was beginning to hold my breath as well.

What is the overall expense that this will incur for the group if I don't mind asking?
PowerMac G4 MDD (1.25 Dual). 2GB Ram, GeForce Ti 4600 Mac. 3x RME Digiface paired to 2x Ferrofish A32s. Seritek 1SE2 external SATA setup.

PowerMac G4 2002 Quicksilver and Powerbook G3 for SCSI applications.