Author Topic: The Future of MacOS9Lives...  (Read 15574 times)

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
The Future of MacOS9Lives...
« on: June 02, 2021, 10:25:34 AM »
I don't know how many of you saw that we were offline for the last 48 hours, but apparently GoDaddy saw the member download files on thier server as a breach of contract. So I had to nuke the entire Library for them to re-activate the site.

This is the last straw with these fucking assholes, I paid extra money over the last 4 years to move the content to their "WorkGroup" storage only for it to become unusable over the last year due to browser TLS issues so I moved it directly to the main server and it worked great for about a month until they flagged it.

My Web hosting plan is for unlimited storage and domains, yet they see the Mac OS 9 stuff as a violation :(   

Things are not looking too good right now for the future of the site, all downloads are gone, months of work down the drain, and I am not sure if I can move the SQL database to a new server.

It was sure great while it lasted

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: The Future of MacOS9Lives...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 11:02:34 AM »
I don't know how many of you saw that we were offline for the last 48 hours, but apparently GoDaddy saw the member download files on thier server as a breach of contract. So I had to nuke the entire Library for them to re-activate the site.

I hadn't noticed that. May be I was seeing a cached version of the site...

This is the last straw with these fucking assholes, I paid extra money over the last 4 years to move the content to their "WorkGroup" storage only for it to become unusable over the last year due to browser TLS issues so I moved it directly to the main server and it worked great for about a month until they flagged it.

My Web hosting plan is for unlimited storage and domains, yet they see the Mac OS 9 stuff as a violation :(   
>:(
Things are not looking too good right now for the future of the site, all downloads are gone, months of work down the drain, and I am not sure if I can move the SQL database to a new server.
That sounds really bad...  all the hard work to the trash. I'm sure that the downloads was one of the first thing of interest for many users ... :'(

Yes it was ...  :-\
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 11:15:09 AM »
I have a backup of all the downloads from 2018 or so. Not great, but at least it's something. From when I hosted the Hotline server.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline SDG

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 11:36:51 AM »
I saw the error message this morning. I thought that someone had just forgotten to renew something or other and didn't see any messages on other Mac sites so guessed it was a temporary blip rather than the Interweb Grim Reaper calling.

Offline Cory5412

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 11:48:53 AM »
Hey, I run the 68kMLA -- I joined today to say that this is a real bummer.

I presume that there's backups of the files? Could you upload them to MacGarden/Repo/InternetArchive or something like http://vtools.68kmla.org/ ? (DM me here, on 68kMLA, or email me coryw at stenoweb dot net for a vtools account.) (I've also been workshopping possibly having public access shares that don't require auth but that's a different conversation for a different place.)

If you're thinking about not running the site any more and it's possible to build a static copy of it, I'd be interesting in rehosting the forums on  the MLA's infrastructure. I can't gaurantee or promise or really even offer anything in terms of hosting the actual running site and database, but similar to how we have our Old Snitz Archive if you wanted to make a static copy of the site I'd be happy to host that. In addition, if there's still active work, I can make a project-oriented subforum for it on the MLA itself.

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 12:16:11 PM »
Yeah, it's always something, but such is life

I presume that there's backups of the files? Could you upload them to MacGarden/Repo/InternetArchive or something like http://vtools.68kmla.org/ ?
Yes, there are backups, but re-uploading 150+GB is always a pain

Anyone that can give myself and the moderators (4 FTP accounts total) access to a server would be great, we need the ability to upload the content and create links to our boards via the full URL path to the file or folder, a separate server is not neceaary, maybe just a dedicated area for about 150GB

If you're thinking about not running the site any more and it's possible to build a static copy of it...
I am just really mad at GoDaddy, they have literally the worst customer service, but I think I will bite my lip and deal with it.
It's not just my time, it's the core members here that have sacrificed both time and money that have made this all possible.
They have maintained and updated, via their rare knowledge, some pretty hard-to-find solutions for those that simply can't find this info anywhere else.
So I think, I will just smoke a large joint, calm down, and keep the current database/forum alive.

As far as dowloads... anyone that wants to host the files can PM me if they can provide us with a small set of FTP accounts.

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 12:41:22 PM »
I saw the block of the site from this morning.

Now I am happy to see it is back online, even with troubles.

Anything I can help count on me if I can get the free time.
Yeah, it's always something, but such is life

I presume that there's backups of the files? Could you upload them to MacGarden/Repo/InternetArchive or something like http://vtools.68kmla.org/ ?
Yes, there are backups, but re-uploading 150+GB is always a pain

I am just really mad at GoDaddy, they have literally the worst customer service, but I think I will bite my lip and deal with it.
It's not just my time, it's the core members here that have sacrificed both time and money that have made this all possible.
They have maintained and updated, via their rare knowledge, some pretty hard-to-find solutions for those that simply can't find this info anywhere else.
So I think, I will just smoke a large joint, calm down, and keep the current database/forum alive.

Feel happy about you can ask a doctor for a prescription.

Jokes aside,maybe we should mirror some stuff to Wayback Machine, Macintosh Garden, Mac Archive, 68kMLA if we can't sort it out.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 12:44:15 PM »
It is always DieHard the one that does all the hard work.

I owe respect to whatever you decide.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline ArmorAlley

• Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 12:45:49 PM »
... and I am not sure if I can move the SQL database to a new server.

I work as a DBA for SQL Server and if your RDBMS is SQL Server, I'm happy to help, if any is needed.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 12:59:23 PM »
hosting software on dedicated webservers is always a problem, i remember when the website from paul kellet went offline because of 15 million "mda piano" downloads per day. he obviously violated his own copyright.

they do not look into content, they just see the statistics and when something is suspicious, they block it or send you a warning.

there are two extreme future scenarios which both have pro and cons.

1.)
one is running a hotline or kdx site. if somenbody can host, i would take care of everything there in regards of files and accounts.

it will be great for OS9 and PPC OSX, it will include a chat (i would disable the bbs), but it is not so great for visitors with windows and later OSX, iOS and so on, as the available clients suck.

and of course, while you can link to the server, you can not link to individual files from the forums.

2.)
the more modern alternative would be using sharehosters. if we would pay for an account, people could download with unlimited speed, and there are great sites from iran or egypt which allow actual one-click and do not annoy you with nonsense.

the drawback is that it would not work with older OS at all, they all require java7 and a browser which works with the latest certificates.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2021, 01:16:43 PM »
btw., the masses will disagree, but i dont see the file sections as the most important section of the forums. i almost forgot that it exists.

Offline Cory5412

• Newcomer
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2021, 02:27:56 PM »
As far as dowloads... anyone that wants to host the files can PM me if they can provide us with a small set of FTP accounts.

I got your PM and am going to reply but I had to go back to work so it'll be a couple more hours.

The quick/short answer is that I can do this.

1.)
one is running a hotline or kdx site. if somenbody can host, i would take care of everything there in regards of files and accounts.

it will be great for OS9 and PPC OSX, it will include a chat (i would disable the bbs), but it is not so great for visitors with windows and later OSX, iOS and so on, as the available clients suck.

I am hosting just such a server, except it's on AppleShare IP -- to be upgraded to OS X Server 10.4 in the mid future. http://vtools.68kmla.org/ - I probably won't add hotline/KDX/Carracho or anything to it because that's "just another thing to manage".

Unfortunately to add to my quick/short answer for DieHard is that it's an OS 9 machine on a home connection so admittedly there's a list of limitations fifteen miles long with that setup -- mostly pertaining to speed and ASIP reliability.

Though, I'm running vtools with that particular goal of putting lots of useful system 7/8/9 and potentially future early OS X stuff on it so anyone else interested get in contact (email coryw at stenoweb dot net is best) and I can make you an account.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 03:32:32 PM »
it is difficult, everything which is not your own internet server is difficult.

nobody wants to host 100,000 OS9 CD downloads from a DSL or fibre line at home.

and while a link like this
https://s19.picofile.com/file/8435250618/Mozilla_Firefox_89_0_x64.rar.html
is superb to handle for both ends, it would still mean that on the user side it can be full of advertisements unless you instruct people to use adblock and modifed hosts lists. not everyone is used to do that already. plus it requires OS 10.9 or higher to access. :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 03:47:06 PM by IIO »

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 06:56:42 PM »
Yes, I saw it, and to be honest I feared something in this direction.

The support offered by the new members Cory5412 and  ArmorAlley is highly appreciated. Hope that motivates you to keep everything up and running DieHard! For me it is highly important that everything stays accessable with Mac OS 9. For example I sadly cannot use 68kmla anymore :-( while I discovered vtools a few weeks ago, and it looks really nice!

What about an own housing solution or a good fibre line that we care together about? Can you tell the traffic and the bandwith that would be needed approximately?

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 07:14:39 PM »

they do not look into content, they just see the statistics and when something is suspicious, they block it or send you a warning.

I am sure our hits are MacOS 9 Installers, Mac Mini Installer, Cubase Instant DAW and perhaps a DAW or a Synth.

Maybe DieHard can elaborate a little bit more on the downloads that are more successful in case they raise a flag anywhere in Daddy´s Algorithm.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Cory5412

• Newcomer
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2021, 10:40:41 PM »

nobody wants to host 100,000 OS9 CD downloads from a DSL or fibre line at home.

Yeah, that's the thing, right?

To be honest, I'm perfectly fine with that, the only real limitation is that the server I was proposing using is literally running AppleShare IP 6, Apple's workgroup file server software from 1998, and my Internet is so slow.

Logistically I'm set up to handle it in basically every way except for speed and possibly that it would make more sense to wait until I migrate from ASIP6 to OS X Server 10.4, or declare this, specifically, a separate use case from vtools and set up, IDK, a linux box running a simple web server and pipe it through my regular reverse proxy.

(By "logistically" I mean I love home-hosting, homelab, home services -- I have 5 public statics, business class, 25 open, reverse DNS set up, etc etc, and the pieces are ultimately going to fall into place for vtools to host VPN connections for old macs and possibly email service, so from my perspective this is just another file share and r/w permissions group.)

Vtools makes some but admittedly less sense at those speeds and right now I'm not in a place to colo a machine to be able to meet this particular need.

Anyway, the question is really whether or not site leadership is fine with it. For the 68kMLA's purposes, vtools living at my house is "basically fine" because the focus is on disk space and tools that, at any speed, we couldn't really provide on the main infrastructure. (I mean, I guess we couldn't, but we aren't going to.)

plus it requires OS 10.9 or higher to access.

Whether or not this matters arguably depends on what the task at hand is. I'm running vtools to make it easier to get software compared to heavy web sites that render poorly on vintage macs. Some of this is changing but it's got some starting momentum so I haven't seen a reason to stop. (In addition to the personal utility, web hosting, file transfer space, potentially vintage email.)

But, for OS install media in particular I tend to find it easier when the access and the file formats are optimized for modern computers, e.g. ISO files ripped with Windows computers burn well on mac/windows/linux versus, say, a DC6 image which is basically useless on anything but a Mac of a particular age, or a Toast image which is also often broken unless you burn or convert it on, again, a Mac of a certain age.

The temptation is strong to suggest getting knezzen involved because in reality Mac Garden is better at this, specifically, (file hosting and software distribution) than 68kMLA is, despite my criticisms therein, which, as I mention, the Mac Garden is working on and improving at.

For example I sadly cannot use 68kmla anymore :-( while I discovered vtools a few weeks ago, and it looks really nice!

What about an own housing solution or a good fibre line that we care together about? Can you tell the traffic and the bandwith that would be needed approximately?

That's a bummer, do you not have a modern computer? We've discussed making a vintage oriented access option for the site but the resources for it have never materialized.

W/re vtools - it basically is what it says on the tin -- a toolbox, not a substitute for the regular forum but please feel free to email me for an account! I'll make an account on it for anybody at no charge with r/w access to the public share and r/o access to the software share. I run a Patreon which adds a personal home directory and a personal web hosting location. Right now, there are no quotas on those services -- mostly because ASIP doesn't have them.

w/re fiber: That would probably work provided you buy business class Internet or use Tricks(TM) to disguise what you're doing. In my case, I'm considering switching to the local cable company and using a pair of firewalls with a VPN to pipe static IPs from a colocation facility to my house, and then I have the actual compute hardware at home where I can use bigger, cheaper minitower servers and do maintenance more easily.

The bummer is that getting any kind of Internet with "decent" (for the sake of discussion we'll set that at 100 megabits) in the US in particular is basically a scenario of "either you've already got it or you might have it in 20 years from today".

On top of that, "small business" internet and static IP addresses (which aren't mandatory but are super helpful) are often really expensive. My DSL service was $175/mo for 40/20, 5 IPs, an unlimited LD phone line, and a small Office 365 instance. I'm now averaging about $195/mo for that but 40/2 and 2 phone lines. (Really long story.) The cableco here has small business internet but that's more like 50/8 for $350/mo, when I looked last, so you're kind of back to either co-locating services or moving them to VPS/cloud tools or just not having them.

My unpopular opinion though is that for someone providing this kind of thing for free, maybe say 20-30 megabits of upload on a home cable line is, in fact, good enough.

Heck, if the traffic is low enough maybe 2 megabits of upload is enough. That's ultimately up for the leadership here to decide.

Maybe DieHard can elaborate a little bit more on the downloads that are more successful in case they raise a flag anywhere in Daddy´s Algorithm.

My read on it was that "Unlimited" had some pretty specific qualifications about the types of files and use cases that can be used. GoDaddy said something, the solution didn't work because it involved using a workgroup collaboration tool, so the files went back where GoDaddy asked them not to, they noticed and then suspended the account for non-compliance.

To be honest, that's pretty cut-and-dry to me. Rules were broken and they need to not be broken again, whether that involves finding a different web host and paying for the data space (and, I'm extremely aware that it's expensive) or coming up with some different tools.

Anyway I'm rambling. Thank you for the warm welcome. I'll be out of your hair once this resolves.

Offline Cory5412

• Newcomer
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2021, 10:47:56 PM »
Just by way of laughs -- the irony of me coming in and going "Hey do you want to put your 150 gigs of files on my personal web server?" (paraphrased) is really really rich given my personal history of having to tell people that their AWS T2.Micro instance isn't sufficient to run my web site.

So I absolutely get it if my offer of 23-year-old software on 20-year-old hardware on a slow DSL line doesn't work for the needs at hand.

Offline cc333

• Valued Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 11:12:05 PM »
I've been a mostly dormant member here for awhile now, and after seeing this, I wanted to chime in and offer my support.

I don't have the means to mirror any files, but I can offer good wishes to anyone else attempting to so so, such as Cory5412.

c

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2021, 12:38:22 AM »
I was quiet surprised when seeing the "account has been suspended" message but also thought about a missed renewal at first. Good to see macos9lives being back! I do cross fingers that there'll be a hosting solution that makes the page and forums fit for the future. After all, there's still plenty of life left in OS9, right ? ;-)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 12:51:37 AM by Bolkonskij »
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2021, 03:56:56 AM »
Anyway, the question is really whether or not site leadership is fine with it.

the boss probably would prefer a solution where he or another person of the core team can upload and reorganize things easily from a remote position, and only if it is http or ftp it will seamless integrate into the forums, so that everything is in once place and nothing causes dependencies.

it would also be nice if one could download the whole content to make a backup.

i think your offer is great but i would be interested about what bandwith we are talking here?

Whether or not this matters arguably depends on what the task at hand is. I'm running vtools to make it easier to get software compared to heavy web sites that render poorly on vintage macs. Some of this is changing but it's got some starting momentum so I haven't seen a reason to stop. (In addition to the personal utility, web hosting, file transfer space, potentially vintage email.)

The temptation is strong to suggest getting knezzen involved because in reality Mac Garden is better at this

at least he is in scandinavia where people usually have 5-10 times the connection speed in their homes compared to germany.

but otoh, he already hosts his own stuff.

somehow i think we should take the opportunity and make things even better than before. one-click, fast, and crossplatform (i.e. OS9 support) would be great. and in theory it is simple, you just need a ftp or http on a dedicated server.

What about an own housing solution

the situation in the USA in europe is that you usually have to pay per traffic, even for virtual servers.

i am working with vtron and they charge 0,09 euro per GB. fine when you are not the end customer, but i would never want to be liable for that myself.

My unpopular opinion though is that for someone providing this kind of thing for free, maybe say 20-30 megabits of upload on a home cable line is, in fact, good enough.

it is totally awesome if somebody who is firm with technology and works reliable offers something for free.

but my calculation is like that: here in germany a 100 mbit VDSL line offers around 95mbit downstream and around 20mbit upstream.

so if 10 people download a file from that server, the average download speed will be around 0,25 megabytes per second.

doable - but not ideal. if you have such a 100mbit line, you are used to download with 12,0.

To be honest, that's pretty cut-and-dry to me.

it is typical for most of these "flat rate" offers: when you begin to actually use it, they will find an excuse to cancel the contract. and when the statistic bots find .zip, .rar, or .iso, you are outlawed.