Author Topic: Mac OS 9 installation from X pkgs?  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Mac OS 9 installation from X pkgs?
« on: May 20, 2021, 05:46:11 PM »
OK, here it is in English as well:

For my new Powerbook Ti I need another "special version" of Mac OS 9, like with the MDDs :-(
I got a copy of an original 9.2.2 installation DVD in German, that I bought for 30(!) bucks.
Today when I recived it, it turned out that it is a X installation DVD with 9 only as X pkg. So the installer wants to force me to install X and with an installed X I am allowed to run the 9 installer!

What a crap!

So please help me how I get the Mac OS 9 installed without installing X! I have no idea where to start, and I am extremely angry at the moment.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: Mac OS 9 installation from X pkgs?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 06:41:22 PM »
OK, here is perhaps a part of the solution: https://lowendmac.com/2011/installing-mac-os-9-on-mdd-power-mac-g4/
Maybe this will work with the Ti original DVD as well, like it worked for Adam Rosen with the MDD CDs. But it creates other questions. 1st; isn't there any solution wihtout involving a X machine?

2nd; how shall I partition the drive, when I cannot use Mac OS 9s drive setup? Using X will for sure lead to further trouble in the future.

Also the idea I had in the german thread to us FW target mode, does not work. When I put the Titanium Powerbook into FW mode (recently just with a Mac OS 9 installed) the G5 with 10.4.11, just hangs with the spinning wheel, or when I reboot it, it shows the FW disc of the TI, but cannot open it and such funny behaviors without the disc being accessable at any time.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 10:12:09 PM »
Did it. But what a pain, …

First I had to put the original DVD into a machine with X. There I had to make all invisible files visible with the terminal and the command:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true;killall Finder
(reverse everything by replacing "true" with "false")

Subsequently I could see a file called "OS9General.dmg" inside a folder ".images". I could copy that image to a hard disc and mount it with 10.4.11. Subsequently I burned the content via Toast Titanium 6 as disc image to a CD. The CD was not bootable at the Powerbook Ti. So I created another disc image from that CD with Toast 5 Titanium at the Ti directly. Then I could bourn a bootable CD from that new disc image.

This new CD is booting the Ti. An installer is not available with this 9.2.2 but "Laufwerke konfigurieren " is working and all 430,6 MB (System Folder, Applications, Documents) can be dragged and dropped directly from CD to the HD, …

WTF!

I wanted to install Mac OS 9.2.2., and had to deal a whole night with a system, that I don´t need, don't like and will never use, just to bypass that system at my 9 notebook. Compared to my original 9.1 retail CD this mothing more than a piss take by Apple to all Mac users of that time. And remember this is the only original Mac OS 9 system for that 1 GHz Powerbook Titanium that Apple ever released, all other Mac OS 9.x do not work!

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 09:42:16 AM »
And remember this is the only original Mac OS 9 system for that 1 GHz Powerbook Titanium that Apple ever released, all other Mac OS 9.x do not work!

Isn't this the correct image ?   Did you try it ?  It's for the 1 Ghz. Titanium

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,900.0.html

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 09:43:09 AM »
sorry for your loss but i am not surprised that the seller doesnt even know what he is selling. :)

actually i dont think there is something special about the included OS9 installer - it should be possible to launch that when booting from OSX DVD without installing OSX.

have you tried the usual procedures sich as closing the OSX installation program by command-W and all this?
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 09:49:48 AM »
or follow  the official apple fascism but install the OS9 onto an external disk. do you happen to have an external DVD-RAM around?

then you can reformat the disk later again to get rid of OSX traces.

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 10:12:48 AM »
I have the same TiBook and once tried the image Diehard is speaking of and is available here on this site but it wouldn't work and complaining not being compatible with my machine.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 04:35:46 PM »
DieHard, I need a German Mac OS, so no this is not the right one. ;)

sorry for your loss but i am not surprised that the seller doesnt even know what he is selling. :)
No, there is a missunderstanding. It is the correct Powerbook Titanium DVD with working Mac OS 9. It is just, that Apple does not allow an Installation without X, and for solving this (like I did above) you nevertheless need a X machine.

actually i dont think there is something special about the included OS9 installer - it should be possible to launch that when booting from OSX DVD without installing OSX.
No possibility that I found yet. The DVD is booting into the X installer, and gives no chance to do anything else, ...

have you tried the usual procedures sich as closing the OSX installation program by command-W and all this?
How should I? I never used X. "Command-W" does not work. "Command-Q" gives the  option to reboot or to "Don't Quit", nothing else.
What is "and all this"? Any further ideas?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 05:33:26 PM »
most people also dont know that you can skip the registration nonsense using a keyboard command.

when i remember right, you can also launch the console somewhere before installing an OSX onto a QS.