Author Topic: We brought Sherlock back from the dead!  (Read 8793 times)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
We brought Sherlock back from the dead!
« on: May 05, 2021, 11:14:38 PM »
Hi!

Just released a big Sherlock related bundle for System 7, Mac OS 8.5 - 9.2.2 and OSX 10.1 - 10.5.
Now you can search a lot of retro Mac sites (Mac OS 9 Lives included), right from Sherlock on your Mac!

Check it out here: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/official-macintosh-garden-sherlock-plugins

Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
Re: We brought Sherlock back from the dead!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 02:43:12 AM »
Thanks a lot Mr.Knez!
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 07:15:31 AM »
Thank YOU!  :)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 10:21:09 AM »
You Macintosh Garden bunch are such a treasure for all of us!
I hope you will be there for a while and will find help to maintain and stay alive through generations to come.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 10:59:38 AM »
All Hail Macos9(Sherlock)Lives :)

Good to have him alive and well in 2021, every time I think there's no new news, you guys always shock me, great job Knez

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 07:58:47 AM »
The resulting Sherlock 1 file seems to have the wrong File type/creator.
However, once changed to APPL/fndf it works.
And I actually used it to find something that I couldn't with Google. Nice!
Note you need to uncheck previous incompatible plug-ins to avoid error messages.

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 04:27:06 PM »
Thanks so much this is amazing! I've been using it all weekend. You even got me making plugins for my websites  ;D

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 11:25:36 PM »
The resulting Sherlock 1 file seems to have the wrong File type/creator.
However, once changed to APPL/fndf it works.

Strange. Worked just like it's packaged on my 8.6 machine. Need to test some more then :)

Thanks so much this is amazing! I've been using it all weekend. You even got me making plugins for my websites  ;D

PM me when you're done and I'll add them to the official package and the auto update function of Sherlock 2! :)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 07:58:45 AM »
Wow that's cool Knezz!!!  ;D

Offline bfcastello

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 12:54:28 PM »
Hi.

I am trying to use the update for Sherlock 2 on OS 9.2.2. I basically just erased the aforementioned folders (according to the instructions on MG website), added the executable, ran it, went to the My Channel tab and waited for it to be populated. Thing is, it was never populated. What am I doing wrong?

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 09:22:04 PM »
I basically just erased the aforementioned folders (according to the instructions on MG website), added the executable, ran it, went to the My Channel tab and waited for it to be populated. Thing is, it was never populated. What am I doing wrong?

Did you remove everything in the "My Channel" folder as well? It updates the channel list and then downloads all the plugins according to that list.
Try removing preferences again and see if it works. Do you have a correct date and time set on your machine as well?

Offline bfcastello

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 07:08:53 AM »
I basically just erased the aforementioned folders (according to the instructions on MG website), added the executable, ran it, went to the My Channel tab and waited for it to be populated. Thing is, it was never populated. What am I doing wrong?

Did you remove everything in the "My Channel" folder as well? It updates the channel list and then downloads all the plugins according to that list.
Try removing preferences again and see if it works. Do you have a correct date and time set on your machine as well?

Hi, thanks for replying. I have removed everything fron the My Channel folder, and the Sherlock preferences from system folder as well, and ran the program afterwards. I did it at least five times so far, with no changes. Time and date are correct as well. I am only getting the new ad banners.

Does the fact that I am running OS 9.2.2 under QEMU have any influence on this? Can't I just get the prefs and the my channel files from someone else?

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2021, 03:42:34 AM »
You can always get the full package will all the plugins and drop them into the My Channel folder under Internet Plugins in your System Folder.
Just to be sure, do you have a working internet connection in your 9.2.2 QEMU environment?

Offline bfcastello

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 01:38:55 PM »
You can always get the full package will all the plugins and drop them into the My Channel folder under Internet Plugins in your System Folder.
Just to be sure, do you have a working internet connection in your 9.2.2 QEMU environment?

Yes, internet works as expected, Classilla 9.3.4b and IE 5.1.7 are installed and I have already downloaded a lot of stuff from Macintosh Garden from there. I can even access my Apple Time Capsule using DAVE.

I'll try the full package stuff and will let you know if it worked.

EDIT: I think you mentioned the wrong folder (Internet Plugins instead of Internet Search Sites) because I found the My Channel folder inside the other folder instead. So placed them there, reloaded Sherlock and the plugins are now working after a few tests. Thank you, man!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 02:01:05 PM by bfcastello »

Offline khaz

• Newcomer
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 11:44:39 AM »
I'm having the same problem here.

On a real iMac G3 with 9.2.2 and a working internet connection. My 9.2.2 came from the universal image from here.
I replaced the Sherlock 2 application, deleted the Sherlock preferences folder and the two files in System / internet search sites / My channel.

The list never gets populated. I downloaded the plugin list to put it in there manually. When I double click on a plugin, it says that the document "couldn't be opened because the application Sherlock 2 could not be found".

When I try searching with Sherlock 2 and all plugins checked, it searches for a while but the progress bar never progresses, and then it tells me that a "network error occurred, the server did not respond to my search request."

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 11:48:03 PM »
This seem to happen sometime and the easiest way I have found to fix it is to rebuild your desktop file.
Hold in command+option while you boot. Your file associations are messed up, so the automagic process wont work.

Give it a go after and see if it works :)

Just tried trashing my plugins, removing the preferences files and all the plugins reappeared as they should, so the server side is working at least.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 05:28:36 AM »
if you have huuuuuge disks with many files it can take ages and you should not interrupt the process.

but it can "fix" a lot of these things and it is a good idea to do it every 2-3 years by routine.

eventually do it one by one and start with the partition/disks you boot off.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline bamdad

• Valued Member
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2021, 04:59:01 AM »
hey, i made one for oldavista. it seems to work fine, but i'm not planning on maintaining it, so if someone wants to add it to the macintosh garden plugin repo and/or improve on it, feel free.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 08:48:29 AM by bamdad »

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2022, 05:32:08 AM »
Of course! Thanks man :)