Author Topic: Unlucky MDD CPU Lot  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Gaz

• Valued Member
Unlucky MDD CPU Lot
« on: April 12, 2021, 05:27:39 AM »
I've got 12 MDD cpu, various speed sold as broken by a private seller who likely knew it, just playing dumb, and I got scammed by my own buying frenzy  :(.
Now I own 12 nicelly broken chips. Of course he doesnt accept them back, I was just an idiot falling in that trap. Is there any chanche to fix some of them?
I've tested the CPU boards on 2 different MDDs , and they all appear dead, no apple chime, black screen, fan spinning at 100% after 10 second after power on. I've got six 1.42 GHZ cards that were tested first and didnt work. At first I thought it was a firmware issue, but even the slowest cards of the lot seem broken. With the orginal CPUs my MDDs boot up fine! Am I doing something wrong? Thank you in advance, I feel so stupid :'(!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 11:03:42 AM by Gaz »

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Unlucky MDD CPU Lot
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 01:23:43 PM »
I got scammed by my own buying frenzy  :(.
Now I own 12 nicelly broken chips.  Am I doing something wrong? Thank you in advance, I feel so stupid :'(!
I'm pretty sure you covered it all. There are no miracles waiting for you. I'll bet you'll never do that again…

I wonder where/how the guy even collected 12 bad CPU boards… they're not notorious for failures… dumpster diving at the regional Apple repair?

Offline Gaz

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 01:04:08 AM »
I got scammed by my own buying frenzy  :(.
Now I own 12 nicelly broken chips.  Am I doing something wrong? Thank you in advance, I feel so stupid :'(!
I'm pretty sure you covered it all. There are no miracles waiting for you. I'll bet you'll never do that again…

I wonder where/how the guy even collected 12 bad CPU boards… they're not notorious for failures… dumpster diving at the regional Apple repair?

Yeah, I will probabilly bolt some of them on a piece of wood than hang everything to the wall, and frame it as a reminder of my own stupidity ;D He told me he bought them some years ago, from a computer shop who were turning G4s into Intel Hackintosh scrapping all the hw inside.
One of the reason I got scammed so easily is the fact that in my entire life as computer enthusiast I've very rarely seen a broken cpu. So I was pretty confident to find at least one working card. Well, F*ck me  :-X
Checking traces and resistors might help?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 07:38:23 AM by Gaz »

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 02:05:43 PM »
Doubtful you have 12(!) daughterboards with simple component failures.
It occurs to me that the one possibility I can think of is that self-degreed computer owners who didn't like the sound of the notorious MDD "windtunnel" took it upon themselves to install quieter fans or speed controls on the originals. It seldom occurs to such geniuses that there is a direct relationship between the operating noise created by a fan and the amount of air it moves. That, coupled with the scarcity at the time of any good temperature monitors in OSX and none at all for OS9 resulted in 12 fried CPUs.

I suspect this because I have seen and had many discussions recently about that very issue. People hate the fan noise - especially those using the MDD to house a DAW or other audio-related stuff. I have seen more than one Franken-fan mod to MDDs, all of which look risky at best.

Live and learn…

Offline Gaz

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 02:06:12 AM »
Yeah, that's a likely explanation! I'm gonna take it , and move on! Thanks for the help Gary!