Author Topic: Strange and difficult but successful OS9 install on Dual 533 G4  (Read 1977 times)

Offline hapsh

• Newcomer
I finally got a Digital Audio G4 dual 533mhz, mainly to run OS9 audio production programs.  It arrived with 0SX 10.5 on a 160GB Maxtor.  I did what I previously accomplished on my G3 iMac, install a 250GB Crucial SSD (recognized as 120GB) and created 2 partitions.  Right away things were not doing well due to the fact I could not get the Powermac to boot into OS9 at all.  I tried several working OS9 install CDs via the internal DVD drive and 2 FireWire CD drives, a FireWire HDD, Target Disk mode from a G3 iBook.  All of the attempts froze during the boot screen with the task bar freezing at about 10%.  I started to think there was a new firmware on the motherboard inhibiting OS9, so I installed a fresh copy of 10.4 on a partition of the SSD just to be able to use the Mac.  Then, I tried an old hard drive I rescued from a G3 iMac that had dual boot.  I installed the drive into the Powermac, and it surprisingly booted to OS9 without any problem.  I reformatted the SSD with 2 partitions again without issue.  However, whenever I tried to install OS 9 from a CD or img, as soon as it finished and rebooted it was freeze the same way.  My solution?
I dragged the System folder from the rescued G3 iMac drive to the SSD.  Boom, it boots now, and I was also able to install the 9.2.2 update.
Everything is working just fine now, but I am just curious.  Why was the only way to install OS9 to drag the system folder onto the drive.  What was halting the boot sequence from CD, Firwire disk, or Target disk?  Still this PowerMac refuses to boot into OS9 from any other method than the internal drive I created via dragging. I have never had an issue like this in 20 years of installing OS9 on iMacs, iBooks, and PowerMacs.  Anyone have problems booting PowerMac G4s from an OS9 CD?

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Strange and difficult but successful OS9 install on Dual 533 G4
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 05:04:21 PM »
OK, since it's new Computer (to you anyway), this is usually the Pre-install check list for machines this old:

1) Physical Maintenance/Inspection:

a) Blow out dust with compressor, NOT a vacuum (make sure to stop fans from spinning wire a wire)
b) Tighten all screws on logic board and cages and fans, look for missing screws
c) Look for oxidation/corrosion, test 3.6 V battery, clean RAM contacts and sockets with electronic cleaner (from auto parts store)
d) Arctic silver Processor
e) clear PRAM (wait for 3 chimes)

2) Software Diagnostics:
a) run appropriate AHT (apple hardware test) for G4, make sure you do an extended test
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/board,33.0.html

Trust me, this is a MINIMUM list, anything else and you are just guessing, gambling, and wasting your time and others; without these basics, intermittent hardware issues mask themselves as software glitches and inconsistencies, just because you got it going does not mean you don't have an issue... so it's best to first make sure the machine is 100% hardware error free, re-set to factory, and thermally under control; CPU upgrades are a challenge and you must get the right firmware patches and DO NOT CLEAR PRAM in this scenario, but the rest of the list is a must

Offline hapsh

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 10:44:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
I guess I should have mentioned that I already did the normal cleaning and hardware checks. I never just turn on a dirty old machine without an inspection.  The only issue I found was the 3.6v battery is dead, I have some on order.  I also need to do the Apple hardware test, I don’t have the correct disc.

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: Strange & Difficult Dual 533 G4
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 12:14:00 AM »
The Digital Audio G4 533mhz shipped with OS 9.1 and…
the Digital Audio G4 dual 533mhz was considered a Mac Server(?)
...shipping originally with X Server OS / pre-installed.

Maybe vanilla OS 9.0 simply wasn’t kosher (too early a version)?
Did go through something similar w/a Digital Audio 533 (single).

I’ve had to fallback-install earlier versions of OS 9 & then install
sequential Mac OS upgrades in order to reach OS 9.2.2 before.
Not often, but once or twice. Perhaps this is relevant?

And, went through a similar routine with an MDD… after
I had completely wiped the HD. I could install OS 9.2.2
but could not install OS 10.3, or 10.4, etcetera.
However, once I did finally install OS 10.2
(what it originally shipped with) only then,
would it accept the later versions of OS X.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member

Offline hapsh

• Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 12:43:57 AM »
Thanks for the link.  I ran the tests and it came back just fine, no problems found.  I am now looking for the proper restore disk, or OS9.1 install disk for this model to see if that works for the future.