Author Topic: PowerBook G3 Battery / PRAM Battery Replacement  (Read 3926 times)

Offline bjorkj02

• Enthusiast Member
PowerBook G3 Battery / PRAM Battery Replacement
« on: March 31, 2021, 02:42:50 PM »
Hello - I have an Apple PowerBook G3 "Lombard" (Bronze Keyboard), and have noticed 2 things recently:

1. The laptop battery has stopped taking a charge. When I plug the laptop in, nothing happens in terms of charging the battery as would normally occur.

2. If I unplug the PowerBook in this state, when I plug it in again, the clock has been reset to a generic date in the past.

I'm certain I need a new laptop battery, but am not sure if that main battery would also fix the date and time being lost if power is not connected. That is, perhaps I need a different battery -- such as a PRAM battery -- to address that?

I've tried talking to a few people & searching online, but this area seems somewhat murky... So before I place any orders, it'd be great to know what I should be ordering!

Thanks for any input,
Jim

Offline bjorkj02

• Enthusiast Member
Re: PowerBook G3 Battery / PRAM Battery Replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 03:02:42 PM »
Well, after some more searching, it appears a new PRAM battery will fix the date/time issue...

Reference: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/G3-PRAM-Battery-Replacement-for-Lombard---Pismo---BRAND-NEW-p-16263.html

However, while looking around that website, I also saw this part:
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Power---Charger-Battery-Board-Lombard-p-16203.html

Which begs the question of whether my battery not charging is actually a bad battery, or perhaps the above part (which apparently charges the battery) is the root cause?

The website says "This board is responsible for charging your batteries as well as performing several other power related tasks."

So if knew what these other 'power related tasks' were, I could probably figure out whether this part is bad or not ... So if anyone wants to comment on that -- or anything else here -- it will continue to be appreciated.

- Jim

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Lombard Battery
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 04:21:33 PM »
Last time replaced rechargeable battery here (with an aftermarket battery)
...it lasted about 2-3 years before it would no longer take a charge.

Have never replaced its PRAM battery (yet) as I now rarely ever boot it.
But would most definitely replace the PRAM & main battery before
ever considering that Charger PSU board. ;)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: PowerBook G3 Battery / PRAM Battery Replacement
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 10:54:41 PM »
Remember that the "Pismo" has been known to appear "Stone dead" and not turn on or show any signs of life at all when the PRAM battery is dead; back in the day I bought many "dead" Pismo G3 PowerBooks on eBay auctions, replaced the PRAM battery and then push the "reset" button on the back of the Pismo with a pen and KABOOM, perfect laptop; it was an insane money maker at the time