Author Topic: G3 B&W Users - anyone have this cpu upgrade? fastest g3 ever!  (Read 24497 times)

Offline Dane D.

• Enthusiast Member
Re: G3 B&W Users - anyone have this cpu upgrade? fastest g3 ever!
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 06:16:39 PM »
First things first, Geekbench can't run in Mac Os 9, so its results are not trusted for Mac Os 9 users. Second, it is very easy to fake Geekbench results: set the disk to check to a RAM disk and the overall system performance is increased.

Even I don't like the Geekbench results, let's take some of then that you have posted above:

PowerPC G3 (750GX) @ 1.1GHz

Integer Score:   804
Floating Point Score:  810
Memory Score: 242

PowerPC G4 (7455) @ 1.25 GHz

Integer Score:   888
Floating Point Score:  926
Memory Score: 549

The G3 results are what we can expect. There isn't a huge difference between a G3 and a G4. But the G4 can go further in to clock speed and overall system performance, plus Altivec and dual processors configurations...
I run OS 10.4.6 95% of the time, so for me it is a benchmark I can use. Am I happy with the performance I get, yes, especially since I only paid $50 bucks for the rig. It cost me more to pay for the shipping, I think $55 or $60. I agree with everybody here about the G4 and it's FPU and clock speed. For me, I wanted the fastest G3 I could get that runs Unreal Tournament and can boot into OSX.

I never turn the rig off, only re-boot into OS 9 to play UT, use my Adobe apps and ClarisWorks app for my MPG spreadsheet. I log all my vehicles gas purchases and mileage to figure per tank MPG, Cumulative  MPG, Cumulative Cost, Cumulative Gals., Cumulative Miles, Continuous MPG, Fuel Cost/Mile, Miles Driven and discount savings on gas purchases.

Having a dependable rig is important to me. I don't have the time to "tweak" so this aftermarket cpu is perfect for my needs. Besides, I like the look of the G3 better than the G4 and it is color coordinated with my computer room.

supernova777

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 10:47:19 PM »
i love the powermac g3 because -- its a powermac g3! its the machine that changed everything!!! one foot in the past. one foot in the future!

January 5, 1999
the new world order  began;)

i have a thing for vertical doors .. its the reverse knight rider style!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo8Qls0HnWo[/youtube]

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 03:47:43 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuCYHrSig94[/youtube]

29:30 he mentioned gigabit ethernet as a BTO for the B&W?? i guess this was accomplished via a pci card because ive never heard of a b&w g3 with gigabit ethernet.. i wonder which make+model pci card they used?

We need to find those gigabit ethernet cards for the G3. I am afraid that maybe these card were the first ones only for OSX.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 07:08:02 AM »
Sonnet-Encore-ZIF-G4-1-0ghz
http://www.sonnettech.com/publicfiles/pdfs/pdf_datasheets/zif_datasheet.pdf

i wonder which would win :)

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 07:22:14 AM »
So the B&W G3 Server did not have built in Gigabit Ethernet. The BTO option was a pci add-on card.
I have one of the B&W G3 Server (the 450 MHz version).  I also have the Powerlogix cpu upgrade being discussed in it as well.
I do have to say that CPU upgrade is pretty awesome.  One of the cool things is you could change the clock speed on the fly without having to reboot or anything.  There was a utility that came with it to do this.  I did find that on my particular system if I went over 800 MHz though with that CPU it would become unstable and lockup a lot, but at 800 MHz it is rock solid and works great.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline Yikes

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2015, 11:11:51 AM »
Hello mates!

I am pretty interested in the 1.1GHz upgrade por the Yikes. Is it on sell only in eBay?